Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Let’s see your Trophy Room/Man Cave

So the taxidermist I'm friends with jus finished this work of art, thought I would share some pics of it. It's not mine View attachment 150067View attachment 150068View attachment 150069
Nice mount ... except the glossy finish on antlers. I don't care for that. Very unnatural. If he's using oil base urethane, it will noticeably yellow in a couple of years. We use Johnson's Paste Wax. Preserves without shine, darkening or yellowing. If client desires a bit of gloss, he can brush it with brass bristle brush.

Nice mount ... except the glossy finish on antlers. I don't care for that. Very unnatural. If he's using oil base urethane, it will noticeably yellow in a couple of years. We use Johnson's Paste Wax. Preserves without shine, darkening or yellowing. If client desires a bit of gloss, he can brush it with brass bristle brush.
obviously you don‘t believe in “ if you can’t say something nice...”

obviously you don‘t believe in “ if you can’t say something nice...”
I said it was a nice mount ... and it is. The pose is very good. Topping it with glossy horns really detracted from a job otherwise very well done. I hope my suggestion is passed on to the taxidermist as constructive.

The rightmost three deer racks in the attached image were mounted by me in the seventies and eighties. The muley rack and lower whitetail (Dad's from 1955) I painted with oil based urethane which yellowed badly over the years. They looked awful and wound up in the attic until I brought them back from Montana last year and carefully stripped the old finish. The upper whitetail rack was preserved with paste wax in 1983. It has kept it's exact original appearance for nearly forty years. As I said, all racks we do now are treated with paste wax. The elk rack I shot in 1971 was painted with urethane by my dad a few months later after I had left for the Army. I wish there was some way to remove the shiny finish without wrecking the rack's unusual dark colour but chemical stripper would clean it away for sure.20210210_224108.jpg

Last edited:
I've never asked what he's using but I do I do know none of his have ever yellowed. We have a couple mounts he did ten years ago and they look fine. I do remember when I took those pics at his shop that he had just applied whatever he uses and it was still wet

I've never asked what he's using but I do I do know none of his have ever yellowed. We have a couple mounts he did ten years ago and they look fine. I do remember when I took those pics at his shop that he had just applied whatever he uses and it was still wet
Modern latex urethane (not available in 70s and 80s) does not yellow but does leave a "different" appearance. Goes on milky looking but dries clear ... unless put on too thick. Varathane Diamond brand comes in satin, semigloss, and gloss. I once used latex satin (flat finish) on a whitetail rack a client had damaged using chlorine bleach to help curb further corrosion. Looked okay but I could tell it was painted. Paste wax is literally invisible. For woodwork I prefer semigloss latex finish. Oil base Varathane is much richer looking but much longer drying time (more dust problems) and very unforgiving during application unless significantly thinned ... then it has a tendency to run easily.Citori case 2.JPGCitori case 1.JPG

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back