PEAX Equipment

Let's see some Mule Bucks

Old pictures I never get tired looking at them. I have a library of albums documenting my outdoor activities going back 50 + years. One of the things I cherish. Me and my life long hunting partner love to go through them every couple years over a couple of cocktails.
good times.

Same area? These bucks look like they could be related.
Yes, same area. I agree there are similar nontypical points on both, but overall frames entirely different. They were back to back years and I passed the bigger buck the year I killed the wider buck because of a couple broken tines. His sheds still put him in the low 190s.

2004/2005 was the beginning of the end. Mature bucks were still out there and we certainly took advantage of it. There was a great typical out there that blossomed just like I had hoped. Opening day 2004 my youngest daughter made me proud with the #2 buck I had found.

1916398_104769949537610_8245121_n.jpg
The next day, my son-in-law to be, spotted a heavy buck and after him he went.430750_404711896210079_1195973242_n.jpg
We changed zip codes at noon and found the big typical bedded in the wrong location for his health.
10399572_104150519599553_4362333_n.jpg

2004/2005 was the beginning of the end. Mature bucks were still out there and we certainly took advantage of it. There was a great typical out there that blossomed just like I had hoped. Opening day 2004 my youngest daughter made me proud with the #2 buck I had found.View attachment 175369
The next day, my son-in-law to be, spotted a heavy buck and after him he went.View attachment 175370
We changed zip codes at noon and found the big typical bedded in the wrong location for his health.
View attachment 175372
Can we see the wall......

@JM77–absolutely incredible bucks. Just, damn.

In your last post you say that 2004/2005 was the beginning of the end. I’m curious what caused the end. What changed? Bad winters? Habitat encroachment? Changes in management?

@JM77–absolutely incredible bucks. Just, damn.

In your last post you say that 2004/2005 was the beginning of the end. I’m curious what caused the end. What changed? Bad winters? Habitat encroachment? Changes in management?
The "end" was the best deer hunting I've ever seen. Cwd had taken hold and mountain lions were at all-time high numbers. Mature bucks became few and far between.

In 2005 my son-in-law to be took a great buck we had seen the year before. 180 class bucks would become very rare animals to find, but somehow I wasn't quite done yet.

1919448_106397059374899_5901149_n.jpg

2004/2005 was the beginning of the end. Mature bucks were still out there and we certainly took advantage of it. There was a great typical out there that blossomed just like I had hoped. Opening day 2004 my youngest daughter made me proud with the #2 buck I had found.

View attachment 175369
The next day, my son-in-law to be, spotted a heavy buck and after him he went.View attachment 175370
View attachment 175372

Ok let’s not stop there. I know you have more!

@JM77 dare I ask how many of these bucks were on public land? It's not meant as a poke just genuine interest.
I'd like a spread sheet form please state county and township and range please to confirm 😁 I'm sure neffa or wllm would be happy to assemble that for you to....

Just kidding.... but seriously that's some pretty impressive mule bucks there partner. Nice work.

I'd like a spread sheet form please state county and township and range please to confirm 😁 I'm sure neffa or wllm would be happy to assemble that for you to....

Just kidding.... but seriously that's some pretty impressive mule bucks there partner. Nice work.
Nah, I wouldn't want to even know the state. It's more for inspiration. That these unicorns do exist in places we all have access to, and that you don't need 3k spotters, flatbrim hats, and matching kuiu to find them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back