Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lets get me on some broadheads...

JustEppic

Well... as you know from my previous thread... i am just getting underway (again) with archery.
Living in Washington, I know our rules changed as to what kind of broadheads we can use, and I will be hunting here and in Idaho. SO, for those of you who have been chucking arrows through the air for awhile, what do you lean towards and why? What weights and why? Right now I am shooting 100 grain practice tips, I have some Fixed blade broadheads at the same weight, but I am not sold on them, they seem fine, they fly fine, but from what I saw on the the mechanical... they can produce a much bigger cut, which means a more lethal hit... why would I get them? Why would I stay? would I look at removable? What brands should I look at, and what should I run away from?
I really appreciate you guys - and before anyone asks, or says it, don't worry I am doing my homework on my own too, I don't feel like someone else needs to do it, I am asking here because I TRUST you guys, and the information I get here I will put heavier weight behind as I make my decisions... This is starting to become a pretty damn trustworthy group to me, and as I get more comfortable here, I am going to start talking more myself.

I am liking the Sevr 1.5" titanium heads. They fly great, penetrate great, and have a little screw that locks the blades closed so you can practice with heads that are identical to the ones you will hunt with.

I am liking the Sevr 1.5" titanium heads. They fly great, penetrate great, and have a little screw that locks the blades closed so you can practice with heads that are identical to the ones you will hunt with.
I've been hearing a lot of great things about Sevr. For mechanical, I shoot 100 gr Rage and they have been great to me. For a fixed blade, I have had great results with WAC EM's, but i also use a max stealth vane which steers them pretty good.

I also shoot the 1.5 sevr and love them. This will be my 3rd season with them. I’ve only ever shoot deer with them so I’m not sure how they’d hold up to bigger animals like elk but I’d guess they’d get the job done

Been using 125 gr Thunderheads since I was 14, never had a problem so haven't changed in 20+ years. Personally I haven't had the urge to try mechanicals, I'm sure they're better now but a lot of guys I knew had issues with them years ago.

I've been spending some of time lately looking at broadheads and arrows and have come to the conclusion that it's very much a brand vs brand kind of argument that really ends up not getting too far. I am 100% against mechanicals especially after watching The Hunting Public videos comparing penetration on whitetails (EDIT: Ranch Fairy may have done the video...I struggle watching his videos as he is a bit over-the-top). I like heavier, cut on contact setups mostly following Ashby's ideals. I'm not 100% sold on shooting super heavy though. There's a balance there somewhere. I like my Magnus Stinger broadheads and they will replace blades damaged from shooting as part of their guarantee. I'm sending 3 broadheads to be sharpened/replaced tomorrow from arrows digging into the ground.

I don't think you can go wrong with most of the top sellers. Stay away from the "flavor of the week" points that you see advertised on TV or in Magazines and I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I've seen great results with mechanical broad heads and poor results also, I've always had good results with fixed blade like the Slick Trick Magnums & Vipers in the 100gr. variety. For me, the simpler the better. I have nothing against mechanicals, they do work well, but I've also seen where they fail too. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

If you are planning on hunting Idaho, set up for fixed blade broadheads. Expandables are not allowed in Idaho. Nor are lighted nocks or several other things. Makes sure you read the regs for both states if you're really planning on hunting both. It wouldn't be fun to have to make a last minute change right before your hunt.

I’ve shot 3 blade 125 grain Muzzys since they came out. I’ve played around with other stuff, but always went back to what has worked for so long.
I shoot 2 blade Magnus (old carbon steel version)out of my recurve.

If I hunted only deer and antelope, it just use 100gn Spitfires. I've had good luck with those, but they really don't penetrate well enough for something the size and thickness of elk. I've been through a number of different BHs and lately settled on Viper Tricks. I have unfortunately not shot anything with yet, but they do fly great and seem to require minimal tuning.

I've got 125 grain cutthroats and I've heard plenty of good about Ironwill broadheads and Magnus to. I think it would be in your favor to go with at least a 125 grain broadhead if your hunting more than just a antelope.

I’ll agree with Ben Sellers, if you’re planning on hunting Idaho anyways I’d get a fixed blade you like and stick with it for everything. I’ve used magnus stingers for years and had really good luck. I also really like the slick truck viper trick my wife is using. If I could justify the cost I would be shooting iron wills

I'm shifting over to the 125gr Cutthroats from RMSG as well, they are excellent heads. Anything from Magnus will serve you well too. Since you're just getting started I'd avoid mechanicals and any possible issues that can arise with those...

I use 100 gr G5 Montec stainless. I’m on the fence about switching to 125 gr. I like how they are inexpensive, easy to sharpen, consistent weight and shape to each other, solid simple construction, fly like a field point, penetrate well, cause a good amount of bleeding, and are fairly idiot-proof overall. Downsides are they aren’t super sharp out of the package, they can be easily damaged by bones/rocks, so damaged ones need to be discarded.

ok, this is all great advice everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get back, i had some mental health issues, the VA took me off my medications... I finally told them to #*^@#* themselves with the meds, (sorry about language, but...it is what it is).
1. I agree with everyone, I should stick with Fixed blades for now.
2. Why would i go with 100 over 150? Is it the amount of kinetic energy? would 150 be too much for the Whitetails? But just enough for Elk and Mule Deer? I do not want to go back and forth, so should I just go with 150 and stick with heavy? Where does 125 fit in there, a happy middle ground?
3. I am not stuck on a brand yet, so I will try out anything, but leaning towards a smaller veteran owned brand if anyone knows anything.
I appreciate it guys.

Another thought is if you hunt out of your state to see what other states require of broadheads. Personally, I don't want to have to worry about switching broadheads (and lighted nocks) for that matter. ID doesn't allow mechanical, while MT does, which is a main reason I switched many years ago.

Been using 125 gr Thunderheads since I was 14, never had a problem so haven't changed in 20+ years. Personally I haven't had the urge to try mechanicals, I'm sure they're better now but a lot of guys I knew had issues with them years ago.
Ditto on the thunderheads....thought about hellrazors once but stuck with thunderheads. With 125gr I can use the same arrows for everything I hunt. If it ain't broke why fix it.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back