Leica Geovid Whats your thoughts?

wswat

I currently have 10x42 leica Trinovids and a Nikon rangefinder but was looking to combine them into one by going to either a 8x42 or 10x42 Geovid.
Anyone else have this?
Whats you thoughts?
Optics as good as my Trinovids?

A few years ago went from Nikon 10x42 monarchs and bushnell range finder to 8x42 geovids. Love the clarity of the glass.

Sometimes the geovids feel a little bulky/heavy although the weight of my geovids equals that of my old bino/rangefinder combo when their weights are totaled together. Love the rangefinder being in the binos. Took some practice and holding them just right to use my right hand to push the button for the rangefinder, but haven't had an issue after some practice.

One thing I realized is the range finder doesn't work that great in med/heavy snow. I like my geovids although I'd like to pick up a lightweight pair of 8x32's for shed hunting and some scouting when I don't need the rangefinder. I can hold the 8's steadier than I can the 10's and feel like I 'see' more when looking through them hand held.

Lack of tripod adapter stud kind of stinks, but the Outdoorsman's tripod adapter that clamps to the bino barrel works really well.

Have never compared them to trinovids, but the glass is good, imho.

Ron

If I had the money I'd have a pair. For a cheaper alternative, the Bushnell Fusion's have gotten some pretty good reviews so far. Many righthanded bowhunters like that they have buttons on both sides.

If you're looking for the best rangefinder the best two are the Swarovski monocular and the new Zeiss binoculars. The rangefinder in these two is far better than the Leica Geovid. We've used many sets of all of the above binoculars and all the results were very similar.

Case in point: A couple years ago in Wyoming my Dad was getting ready to stalk an antelope with his Geovids and, against his will, I made him take my Swaro's for a back up just in case the Geovids couldn't get a reading for some reason. He got to about 400 yards and the Geovids wouldn't read. The Swaro's hit the buck the first time he tried them. Dropped the buck one shot - 90+ SCI. He sold the Geovids immediately after that trip.

This type of thing happened on many occasions and we thought maybe we got a lemon version so we sent them back and tried a new pair with the same results. A buddy of ours has also had the same experience with his.

For archery they'd be fine, but just don't bank on getting a reading in flat country more than 400 consistently.

In contrast I have never had a mishap with my Swaros. I get readings on hills and big trees out to almost 2000 yards frequently.

As far as optics the Zeiss and Leica are very close - couldn't really notice a difference.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help! Not sure what way to go yet. I mostly archery hunt but have so many points in different states that I will be starting to draw deer, antelope, and elk all over. And god willing some sheep tags:)
Just sick of lugging the two along and haveing to switch back and forth.

They are the best I have ever used. I have the 8x42s and love them. Never had any problem with them reading yardages. I sold my Swarovski SLCs and my Leica 800 rangefinder to fund the Geovids. Much better choice. I have a buddy with the 10x42s and he loves them too.

Ok just purchased my Geovids and WOW I like them. They are super clear and th range finder works great. I took them out before I bought them and compaired the Swaro rangefinder and I had 0 problems getting the same readings for range.
Thanks for all the help!

I would of but I really wanted the 2 for 1 deal. Don't get me wrong I love my Swaro spotter but after looking through the EL's and the Geovids I just think I couldn't go wrong. I will be able to tell you the range real quick with those gobblers this spring:)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back