PEAX Equipment

Leica Binoculars-Are They Worth It?

Ryan2388

I was thinking of taking sound advice and investing a lot in a great pair of optics. Do you think Leica is a good Bino to look into?

I recently had the chance to watch some mountain goats through a pair of Leica 12x binos. They're awesome! If you buy a pair, you'll have a nice pair of glasses!

I used mid grade binos for years, then decided to get a really good pair. I debated between the swaro el's and Leica ultras. Lens quality seemed to be equal; for me the big thing was the fine tune on the leicas or the preferred erganomics of the swaros. I went with the swaros and am very happy, but for 2500 bucks you'd better be. The top of the line vortex are very nice. My buddy runs those and in the field the lens quality appears very comparable with the exception of the first and last light.

If you truly want a great pair of optics, go with the Big 3. Vortex is a good value, but you get what you pay for in this world. If Vortex was really as good as Swarovski, they'd raise the price to match the Big 3 but of course nobody would pay the same for Vortex as Swarovski or Leica and Vortex knows it.

One more thing, if you get cold feet and decide to save money, make sure to check out the Zeiss Conquest, my eyes prefer them over the Razor HD.

PS. Swarovski is having an Anniversary Sale right now, their 10x42 SLC is tough to beat.

I have both Swaro and Leica and both are excellent, but i prefer my Leica's due to the built in range finder--one less thing to pack....chris

Swaro el's $2600
Leica ultras $2300
Zeiss victory $2300
Vortex razors $1200

The point I'm making is that you have to double your price to get into the flagship model from the big 3. Now each has a lower price point model that are so good that the layman will never know the difference, but generally those are not the ones of discussion. What's my point; as previously stated during the majority of your glassing the quality difference between the Big 3 flagships and other very respectable products is almost negligible. However, if you planned to spend countless hours each year behind these lenses then I would, and did, make the investment. But for most, I believe a quality upper mid grade is all that their eyes are capable of perceiving. The rest are just "compensating".

Good glass is worth every single penny you spend and used properly, the best hunting tool a hunter has.

Quality glass and quality boots will take you far.

Nobody that owns top end binos wishes they had cheaper glass. Certainly none that have come from lower grade glass. The converse is not typically true.

If you get top end glass now, you will not ever need to upgrade. You may want to but at that point you are going for .1% not the 10 or 20% you are going to see going to tha alpha.

Leica are excellent; I have 3 pair.

Swarovski SLC 10x42 are $1620 right now. The glass and coatings are same quality as the ELs, they just lack the Field Flattener prism (which many optics reps will tell you hunters don't want anyway for scanning). Also, the ELs are coated for color fidelity while the SLC are coated for contrast in low-light (which hunters prefer). By the way, the SLC are identical glass to the EL Range, just without the rangefinder.

I would recommend starting there and compare to the other Big 3, you'll find something you love and will last a lifetime.

I have optics from the big three, and have to admit my swarovski binoculars do seem to be the top pic, for me. I have leica rangefinders and always use them, the HD model, due to the range finding capacity, but i have compared my swarovision in the 10x42's to the leica 10x42 Geovid HD's and the swaros are a better low light optic.

If i didn't want a rangefinder i would buy the 10x42 SLC model hands down every time, the best 10 power optic out there without a rangefinder. If i wanted a rangefinder inside, i would assume the rangefinder model in Swaro would be exceptional, but i can't comment as i don't own this glass.

I have been using a set of Leica Ultravid 10x42's for about 5 years. I picked them up just before Leica released the Ultravid HD's. Got a screaming deal on them. Leica had a Big mail in rebate at the time... They are awesome. Cannot recommend them highly enough. I personally do not care for the "Swarovision" system on Swarovski optics (it gives me extra eye strain), and to me the T coat on zeiss glass tints slightly to olive in low light. For my eyes the Leica's were the truest color and contrast at all light levels.

Are they worth double the price of a set of Vortex razor HD's. To me they were. It would piss me off to no ends to buy a $1200-1300 pair of Binocs and think that they are still just not quite as good as the big three.

The recently re-released Leica Trinovid may be another good option at a bit more reasonable price. I believe that they have the same glass as my non HD Ultravid's...

I wonder how many people want the best glass, but settle for a lesser pair to save $500 bucks. Then within five years upgrade to one of the Big 3 anyway. I think if I could save $1500 I could wait a bit longer and save the rest.

Buy the Leicas. The first time you spend 8 or 10 hours a day with your eyes in the glasses, you'll really appreciate the Leicas. You should also try the Samplelist.com. SWFA buys and resells factory rebuilds and trade ins.. you can save yourself a sizeable chunk of change and get a superior product.

Have had the leica 10x42 and the 15x50 with the range finder. love them, got a screaming deal at the time. The rangefinder for my use is more of a toy than anything. The swaros are much more tripod friendly and that would be the only reason i would look hard at the swaros

Back