Legendary Mt public land double

Doublecluck

You guys know these turkeys! These are the ones you see strutting freely out in a pasture on some mega ranch. Maybe you see em on the way to work or while your out scouting for birds. When you pull out the ONX the words “family trust” or “living partnership” or “LLC” follow whatever name is listed. This is never a good sign! Sure enough when you drive down the driveway or call a number, your told that it’s either leased to outfitters or they don’t let people hunt because of what some idiot hunter did in the past. These are those turkeys, and if your a turkey hunter like me somehow these turkeys are always in the back of our minds and Were always thinking if only there was a way. On this hunt, there was a way.

We had obtained permission to hunt some birds on private land. 30 minutes before shoot time we were set up 100 yards from the roost tree. As the light started to come across the horizon birds started sounding off. We have been here before, more often than not this scenario ends with turkeys on the ground and breakfast at the closest diner. About 5 minutes before the fly down here comes the border collie. I’ve heard that border collies are the smartest dogs but this one was completely convinced that our decoys were real and was set on rounding them up. After we exchanged a few words and sent a couple cow patties it’s way off it went back home to the neighboring property. By now the turkeys had flown down and crossed the railroad tracks and a road and we’re going the opposite direction. We got on the calls and quickly got their attention. Right as they started to head back down the tracks, here came the horse.

Now I like horses, and I especially value my relationships with landowners so we sure as hell weren’t about to shoot in to a flock of turkey with this horse nearby. So we picked up our spread and headed off to hunt elsewhere. Just goes to show you can’t always kill em setting up on turkey crap.

Down the road we went to head east. On the way we would be passing “that flock” the ones we passed yesterday, and the day before and last weekend and last year and the year before. Sure enough there they were strutting about fornicating with their hens happy as could be. Great opportunity for photos but that’s about it.

The state land, well there is that very small section of state trust land. It’s far, we had talked about it in the past but I mean these birds would have to cross 3/4 mile of open field, a creek, two fences and a road. Not to mention this particular state land is just open field and dirt. If the birds were ever on the south end of the field than sure maybe , but my buddy lives nearby and these birds are never on that end of the field. Anyhow we looked at each other and said what the hell let’s give it a try. Did I mention the only place to hide was behind a small rise in the terrain.

We set up a big spread, 3 hen decoys, two half strut jakes and 1 Jake with a real turkey fan on it. I pulled out the loudest call I got, the HS strut aluminum on walnut. Cleaned it with a alchahol prep pad and started in on the loudest yelps I could get out of it. About 20 mins in of calling in between cars driving down the highway and geese honking overhead we started hearing a hen. She was coming and she was pissed. We ducked down in the grass just as she crossed the road. She came right in and this is what went on for about 20 mins.

Last edited:
At this point the gobblers were still in the middle of the field a couple hundred yards away, I have no idea why they let the hen leave them and took so long to follow. We were laying flat in the grass. We were certain that at any point the hen would bust us and this gig would be up. I was starting to get concerned that some backwoods inbred drunk bastard would stop on the road and blast our decoys or the strutting hen that was in the decoys. Surely we would have been collateral damage as were directly behind the decoys from the road. Probably close enough to hurt but not close enough to kill us. In my mind I was thinking of all the things that would have to work out perfect for this to go down. No cars could drive down the road, there had to be a place in the fence that gobblers would be comfortable crossing, the hen couldn’t bust us before they got there. What were the chances? And then just like that... a gobble! It was for sure over the road on our side of the fence on the state land. It was my turn to shoot as my buddy had shot a Tom in another region a couple days ago. I looked up just as the head appeared over the grass less than 10 yards away. Side note (3.5” Winchester XR don’t have much of a pattern that close). I threw the gun up but hesitated due to my legs falling a sleep. Just enough time for the bird to duck as I pulled the trigger. We both stood up and my buddy dumped the closest Bird that I missed. The hens were running to the south and another Tom was following, this time at 50 yards the Winchester XR did what it was designed to do and the second public land longbeard had fallen. 104961104962104963

Serious turkey ninja skeeeelz. Congratulations

And as a reminder to all of us reading your story, we would all be smart to thank the landowner that gives us the opportunity to hunt their land. Letting them know how it went down, including your wise decision to pull stakes when the horse moved in will earn nice points with them for future access.

PS: I have been there with totally numb lower limbs. Man that hurts when it "unfreezes".

Back