Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Legality of Carrying a backup rifle on a Wyoming Elk hunt??

Cheyenne down in America it is state by state. As noted above, here in Oregon ODFW/ State troopers had case law turn against them, it was illegal some years ago to even carry a rifle if you didn’t have a tag. In 1975 or 76 one of my college hunting buddies was cited because his deer was in camp, his rifle was in the truck and he was driving around picking us up.
Buddies dad was a lawyer so they fought the citation, it was a criminal offense. The crook county judge really unloaded on the trooper but it took years to affect change.
Obviously it is used to impact efforts at party hunting, which is illegal in Oregon.
But I can carry a rifle anywhere I want in Oregon if I’m not hunting with a few limited exceptions.
thank you. It struck me as odd, since I think people, including the RCMP would laugh at me if I was in the wilderness without a gun and they would probably laugh even louder ( or have me committed ) if I had a rifle but it wasn't loaded or it was somehow inoperative , but as previously stated, I am in a different area--country actually. Was just curious.

Are you home now ? Did you have enough business to pay your help this year because of the virus ? I hope so. Always enjoy your stories about the bears. You live with them even more than I do o_O

Willm1313, thanks for the reply. Interesting as we usually take a rifle even when we take a shotgun bird hunting, or when we are trapping. I am allowed to carry a handgun, but I dont as I find clothes get in the way more often than not, so I have gotten in the habit of carry a lever action rifle. this is probably more than anybody cared to know, sorry about that.

-- but I was wondering if you could carry a handgun and not be Questioned by the warden that would question your caring a rifle.

This is probably a bit to "simplistic", but is the no rifle without a license or tag, basically about catching poachers ? Also what do you mean by "party hunting" ? We often have several family members in camp, even if only one member is hunting and certainly more than one rifle. I was wondering if party hunting is like a driven hunt ?

thanks

Last edited:
thank you. It struck me as odd, since I think people, including the RCMP would laugh at me if I was in the wilderness without a gun and they would probably laugh even louder ( or have me committed ) if I had a rifle but it wasn't loaded or it was somehow inoperative , but as previously stated, I am in a different area--country actually. Was just curious.

Are you home now ? Did you have enough business to pay your help this year because of the virus ? I hope so. Always enjoy your stories about the bears. You live with them even more than I do o_O

Willm1313, thanks for the reply. Interesting as we usually take a rifle even when we take a shotgun bird hunting, or when we are trapping. I am allowed to carry a handgun, but I dont as I find clothes get in the way more often than not, so I have gotten in the habit of carry a lever action rifle. this is probably more than anybody cared to know, sorry about that.

-- but I was wondering if you could carry a handgun and not be Questioned by the warden that would question your caring a rifle.

This is probably a bit to "simplistic", but is the no rifle without a license or tag, basically about catching poachers ? Also what do you mean by "party hunting" ? We often have several family members in camp, even if only one member is hunting and certainly more than one rifle. I was wondering if party hunting is like a driven hunt ?

thanks
Party hunting is basically tagging an animal that someone else killed. In WY, you are only allowed to tag an animal you killed. Some hunters will shoot more animals than their license allows, and will have other hunters tag the "extra" animals. Not legal in WY, and not generally an acceptable as an ethical practice in hunting in the US, although I think it may be legal in a few states. The problem is potential over harvest.

In WY yes you can carry a handgun while hunting, but unless it is a legal caliber to take big game, you still can't legally use it to "finish off" game. You can also carry handguns while archery hunting.

I wouldn’t bring two rifles, but I think it’s perfectly legal.
I also think the likelihood of being checked or asked about it by a warden are extremely low.

Besides highway check stations, I have randomly seen/been checked by a warden 1 time and that was on a road in a special draw deer unit.
I’ve also been checked one other time but the warden was called for that. The caller got a lesson on map reading and I got a congratulations on the bull.

If you are carrying a rifle, especially loaded, where wild game is present you are presumed to be hunting and can get a ticket if you carry it. Get a small game license and you are probably covered. Or carry it unloaded.

As for carrying backup rifles, nothing illegal in that at all. I commonly carry a pistol on my hip and sometimes a compound bow because archery for one animal often overlaps the rifle season of another. But if you are carrying a gun or bow, you are presumed to be hunting and can get a ticket. I verified this with a game warden before I started doing it.

For your own protection, I would not take my word or anyone else's here and call Wyoming Game and Fish at (307) 777-4600 and ask to talk to one of the senior game wardens.
Sorry Doug but I disagree. Just because you are carrying a rifle when game is present does not mean you are hunting. You can hunt coyotes any time in Wyoming and without a license.
I do agree , email a GW, they will be easier to contact via email right now

It’s Wyoming don’t overthink it. You can basically do whatever you want.
Don’t trespass, respect the locals, clean up after yourself. It’s that simple. Follow the actual game laws you’ll never have an issue.

You can hunt coyotes any time in Wyoming and without a license.
Right after you blast at that coyote you will see the elk run over the ridge, the elk your partner, the guy with the license and elk tag, would have liked to get a shot at while they weren't traveling at mach wapiti speed.

Yes you can walk around with a firearm in Wyoming, regardless of having a tag for something or not. I carry mine for predators sometimes while scouting in February and March. Nobody cares. It’s a right.

Right after you blast at that coyote you will see the elk run over the ridge, the elk your partner, the guy with the license and elk tag, would have liked to get a shot at while they weren't traveling at mach wapiti speed.
Good way to spot game

Never said you have to use that rifle, but it would be legal to carry it.

I verified this with the Game and Fish, Wildlife Division today: "It is legal to carry a rifle without a hunting license. It is not legal to hunt without a license" So I stand corrected on my statement. This is per Parker Everhart, Cheyenne - Wildlife Division. A warden has to see you attempting or actually taking game before you would get hit with hunting without a license if you didn't have one.

I moved from Colorado and there I can not say for sure but I do believe there is still a law on the books where you can be presumed to be hunting if you carry a loaded firearm (round in chamber) where wildlife are present. Some states have quirky laws like that where you are presumed to be hunting if you carry a loaded firearm in areas where wild game are known to be present.

Last edited:
Read the regs "or if you cant read, simply call or go visit the game & fish. & ASK them.
the internet has truely truely made some people a lazy needy bunch. These days

Six years ago I packed my rifle across Teton Park land to set up a stalk on a bison that was on NF. Perfectly legal.

In Wyoming, as has been said by several on here, there are no restrictions possessing a firearm in the field, loaded or not.

I verified this with the Game and Fish, Wildlife Division today: "It is legal to carry a rifle without a hunting license. It is not legal to hunt without a license" So I stand corrected on my statement. This is per Parker Everhart, Cheyenne - Wildlife Division. A warden has to see you attempting or actually taking game before you would get hit with hunting without a license if you didn't have one.

I moved from Colorado and there I can not say for sure but I do believe there is still a law on the books where you can be presumed to be hunting if you carry a loaded firearm (round in chamber) where wildlife are present. Some states have quirky laws like that where you are presumed to be hunting if you carry a loaded firearm in areas where wild game are known to be present.

Exactly, but like I said it is not presumed you are hunting of you have a loaded firearm. There is no law on our books that states that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back