Caribou Gear Tarp

Legality of Carrying a backup rifle on a Wyoming Elk hunt??

trouthunterdj

Hello all, I am wondering about the legality of carrying a backup rifle on a backpack hunt in Wyoming? My Dad and I will be hunting together and he has the tag. Do I need to purchase a small games license to carry a rifle with him incase his has an issue? Thank all.

Good way of getting a citation for party hunting. Plus why, that's a lot of extra weight, more and more I just want one gun when we both have tags.

@mulecreek, Dad shoots an elk, son doesn't have a tag, two rifles at the kill site. Warden might write a ticket depending on their mood.

It's definitely illegal in some areas.

SD- "No person possessing a firearm, including a muzzleloading firearm, or a bow and arrow may accompany a big game hunter in the field or cooperate as part of a big game hunting group unless the accompanying person possesses a big game license that is valid for the same geographic area and time of year as the licensee."

CO - ". It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk seasons west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season. A small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required." (Min caliber for big game is .24)

@mulecreek, Dad shoots an elk, son doesn't have a tag, two rifles at the kill site. Warden might write a ticket depending on their mood.

It's definitely illegal in some areas.

SD- "No person possessing a firearm, including a muzzleloading firearm, or a bow and arrow may accompany a big game hunter in the field or cooperate as part of a big game hunting group unless the accompanying person possesses a big game license that is valid for the same geographic area and time of year as the licensee."

CO - ". It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk seasons west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season. A small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required." (Min caliber for big game is .24)
Suppose this would be helpful if he was asking about SD or CO. As he and I are talking about WY, not sure it matters. What exactly is this moody warden in Wyo going to write a ticket for?

even at camp, no elk down yet; warden shows up notices 4 dudes and 4 rifles, asks to check tags, only two tags are produced. warden starts asking a lot of questions at that point. especially if there are non residents in the camp....

i do not think it is worth it. If you bump into a warden you will have a lot of explaining to do. Any issues arise for any reason and you will ruin your dads hunt. Just relax and help spot game leave the extra rifle at home And the two of you enjoy the hunt. Kindest Regards

I’ve seen non-tag holding dads, buddies, etc carry their own rifle all the time in Montana and Wyoming for shooting incidental wolves or coyotes. It is not illegal in Wyoming.

i just like to be as above reproach with hunting as i possibly can be at all times.

i took some friends to my favorite antelope area in wyoming over this past weekend, unfortunately i did not draw this year and they did. almost brought my rifle, with coyotes in mind or as a backup.

ultimately i left it at home in colorado. with, literally, the exact thought of me not wanting a warden even having a fleeting thought of wondering if we were party hunting. even though i've gotten to know the warden rather well in that area and he knows who i am, i just like good optics of my actions, now matter how much my actions might be legal

Nothing wrong with having an extra rifle at camp. Carrying one alongside while your dad hunts could cause a raised eyebrow or two from a conservation officer. I always had an extra rifle in camp during my rifle hunts in CO back in the late 90's early 2000's. It was insurance in case I had an unfortunate accident and rifle number 1 was deemed unusable.

i just like to be as above reproach with hunting as i possibly can be at all times.

i took some friends to my favorite antelope area in wyoming over this past weekend, unfortunately i did not draw this year and they did. almost brought my rifle, with coyotes in mind or as a backup.

ultimately i left it at home in coloraodo. with the exact thought of me not wanting a warden even having fleeting thought of wondering if we were party hunting. even though i've gotten to know the warden rather well in that area and he knows who i am, i just like good optics of my actions, now matter how much my actions might be legal
I don’t disagree at all, and I like your approach. Just saying that it is not illegal.

If you are worried about the optics of it all, give your dad the bolt out of the gun. Then you have an inoperable rifle which should help to diffuse even a grumpy game warden.

I thought about it this last week when my kids had tags and I did not. Could I carry their rifle for them when it got heavy? I didn't like how it looked, so I just said, "suck it up, buttercup!".

even at camp, no elk down yet; warden shows up notices 4 dudes and 4 rifles, asks to check tags, only two tags are produced. warden starts asking a lot of questions at that point. especially if there are non residents in the camp....
OMG what why does a non resident matter or change the scenario???? crazy
Now I can't imagine carrying and extra rifle because of the weight. I would more likely be the guy to take one rifle with two guys having a tag. Opps I have done that.

I don’t disagree at all, and I like your approach. Just saying that it is not illegal.
Definitely not illegal.

Ethical quandary that you may create for yourself. Dad wounds an elk, you both tract it, you split up, you find the elk alive without him. Do you break the law?

I had that happen in MT pronghorn hunting, I didn't have a gun...

OMG what why does a non resident matter or change the scenario???? crazy
Now I can't imagine carrying and extra rifle because of the weight. I would more likely be the guy to take one rifle with two guys having a tag. Opps I have done that.

think critically man. come on. don't get all worked up

it happens, cause i actually just heard about some people i know (not friends) that were doing this in colorado

2 people from colorado invite 2 people not from colorado to 1st season elk hunting. 2 guys from colorado buy 2 tags for like 100 bucks, 2 guys from out of state make the trek out and don't have to spend nearly 1300 dollars on elk tags. it's okay they'll all hunt and the residents will just make sure to tag the elk when someone, anyone in the group, gets one down and then split the meat

wardens are actively looking for clues that this stuff is happening. because it happens alot.

think critically man. come on. don't get all worked up

it happens, cause i actually just heard about some people i know (not friends) that were doing this in colorado

2 people from colorado invite 2 people not from colorado to 1st season elk hunting. 2 guys from colorado buy 2 tags for like 100 bucks, 2 guys from out of state make the trek out and don't have to spend nearly 1300 dollars on elk tags. it's okay we'll all hunt and the residents will just make sure to tag the elk when someone, anyone in the group, gets one down and we'll split the meat

wardens are actively looking for clues that this stuff is happening. because it happens alot.
humans are bad.

Bring it, and keep it in the truck or back at camp. I wouldn't blame a warden being suspicious if you were both carrying and only one had a tag. You could argue your case in court that simply carrying a rifle doesn't make it prima facie evidence of illegal hunting. But, put yourself in their shoes. Prima facie means based on the first impression, accepted until proven otherwise. What's their first impression going to be? Do you want to have to prove otherwise in court? Could you, maybe? But do you want to have to just to save yourself a trip back to your rig? In my mind, that's a big no.

If you are worried about the optics of it all, give your dad the bolt out of the gun. Then you have an inoperable rifle which should help to diffuse even a grumpy game warden.

I thought about it this last week when my kids had tags and I did not. Could I carry their rifle for them when it got heavy? I didn't like how it looked, so I just said, "suck it up, buttercup!".
I've interacted with plenty of wardens in Wyo and I cant say as I have ever met one that would dream of writing a ticket for this or even mentioning it. Also there is nothing even approaching illegal about it. Follow the laws and regs as written and all will be good. There is no need to walk on egg shells around G&F.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back