Legality of Carrying a backup rifle on a Wyoming Elk hunt??

ODFW tried to regulate the possession of firearms for non hunting public during hunting seasons and the court back handed them and tossed the regulation. Perfectly legal to carry a firearm in the woods during season, with no license, if you're not hunting.

ODFW tried to regulate the possession of firearms for non hunting public during hunting seasons and the court back handed them and tossed the regulation. Perfectly legal to carry a firearm in the woods during season, with no license, if you're not hunting.
1. You had better understand the legal definition of hunting if you're going to carry a rifle on a hunt. In Oregon, at least, you don't have to pull the trigger to cross that line.
2. In the example of Oregon, you can carry the rifle while someone else hunts, but when a coyote/bear/cougar steps out, you can't shoot it. So, why would you carry a gun again?

To the OP, you do what you want, but it sure seems like a way to save a few pounds and avoid having to explain yourself in court to me.

QQ

totally different set of circumstances, even a different country, but this thread surprised me

I can not imagine leaving on a sled, canoe, plane or even on foot without a rifle, whether I am hunting or not.

Just so I understand : Some states will give you a citation for carry a rifle into the wilderness, if its not hunting season and if it is, if you dont have a tag ?

Are you allowed to target shoot, during hunting season, if you dont have a tag ?

If you dont have a tag during hunting season and you are carrying a rifle, a citation may or may not be given, depending on the mood of the warden ? There is no concrete law to rely upon, just his mood ?

I have no dog in this fight, so to speak, but I am curious

I remember 30 years ago my dad bought a used shotgun in Lander and asked the guy if they had any gun socks/cases. "What do you want one of those for??" "So we can legally drive it home to Michigan." "Hell out here you can walk down main street with it, but okay..."

I don't see how anybody could write you a ticket for possessing an unloaded gun in the woods, but my uncle did get a ticket in WY for "going 70+ mph" on an Evinrude snowmobile back in 80s! He told the fishcop, "You get on this old sled and get it to go that fast! That wasn't me it was my kids." Problem was he knew he couldn't catch my cousins and the guy just wanted to write a ticket.

Good luck if you decide the extra weight and burden is worth it.

I remember 30 years ago my dad bought a used shotgun in Lander and asked the guy if they had any gun socks/cases. "What do you want one of those for??" "So we can legally drive it home to Michigan." "Hell out here you can walk down main street with it, but okay..."

I don't see how anybody could write you a ticket for possessing an unloaded gun in the woods, but my uncle did get a ticket in WY for "going 70+ mph" on an Evinrude snowmobile back in 80s! He told the fishcop, "You get on this old sled and get it to go that fast! That wasn't me it was my kids." Problem was he knew he couldn't catch my cousins and the guy just wanted to write a ticket.

Good luck if you decide the extra weight and burden is worth it.
Wyoming Game and Fish doesn’t enforce snowmobile speed limits...

totally different set of circumstances, even a different country, but this thread surprised me

I can not imagine leaving on a sled, canoe, plane or even on foot without a rifle, whether I am hunting or not.

Just so I understand : Some states will give you a citation for carry a rifle into the wilderness, if its not hunting season and if it is, if you dont have a tag ?

Are you allowed to target shoot, during hunting season, if you dont have a tag ?

If you dont have a tag during hunting season and you are carrying a rifle, a citation may or may not be given, depending on the mood of the warden ? There is no concrete law to rely upon, just his mood ?

It's more nuanced than that.

In the case of CO you can't carry a .24 or larger rifle into the woods during big game season without a tag for those animals. For the expressed purpose of hunting small game.

Say you were to see fish and game at noon, 200 yards from your truck setting up a target with a .30-06 in one hand, and big game season is going on, you say your target shooting, no problem.

But if you have that same .30-06 are walking down a trail just before dark and fish and game stop you and ask to see your license and you say... um... I was hunting coyotes. Definitely getting a ticket.

People are smart enough to know if what they are doing is sketchy, the laws just give Fish and Game the ability to better police poaching.

How about just carrying a backup scope in QR rings? If you have a quality rifle then you should be good for just about anything except for a scope taking a dump

Anything's possible though sighting in is always a treat... and for me, a sour treat. Haha!

Call WGF and ask them directly. Never take the word of some internet keyboard pounder unless a .gov link is provided that can be personally verified...

Cheyenne down in America it is state by state. As noted above, here in Oregon ODFW/ State troopers had case law turn against them, it was illegal some years ago to even carry a rifle if you didn’t have a tag. In 1975 or 76 one of my college hunting buddies was cited because his deer was in camp, his rifle was in the truck and he was driving around picking us up.
Buddies dad was a lawyer so they fought the citation, it was a criminal offense. The crook county judge really unloaded on the trooper but it took years to affect change.
Obviously it is used to impact efforts at party hunting, which is illegal in Oregon.
But I can carry a rifle anywhere I want in Oregon if I’m not hunting with a few limited exceptions.

This is an interesting issue, I am a FIRM believer in the 2nd Amendment seems like your 2A right hinges on if you buy a hunting license of some kind??? which isn't right....Here is a question...What about a citizen walking through the woods in Wyoming carrying a 30-06 for bear protection??? Is that what the OP would be doing essentially??? Just a thought.

Walking through the woods with a rifle is not illegal. I think everyone gets that.

Laying prone behind the scope, with safety off and 6X6 bull in the crosshairs is gonna get you a ticket. I think everyone would agree with that.

So somewhere in the middle is the line between legal and illegal. I would imagine that the game wardens use their experience to determine where in relation to that line you are. It is your choice on how easy you want their interpretation to be.

If you are worried about the optics of it all, give your dad the bolt out of the gun. Then you have an inoperable rifle which should help to diffuse even a grumpy game warden.

I thought about it this last week when my kids had tags and I did not. Could I carry their rifle for them when it got heavy? I didn't like how it looked, so I just said, "suck it up, buttercup!".
This is the route I would go - if a guy thought he absolutely needed to carry the rifle afield (doesn't feel safe leaving it in his truck or at a camp site - which you shouldn't), make it an incomplete weapon and have the tag bearing hunter carry the bolt or other component. If im a CO and happen upon this duo, conduct a tag check, question the non-hunter and the non-hunter explains and provides evidence (incomplete weapon) im pretty satisfied at that point. Still I understand the overreaction of many who respond to this the way they do. The single most important thing a guy can do is to equip himself with a DURABLE rifle that is mechanically sound with a rugged optic (Steiner, Kahles, S&B and the like) and one piece hardened scope mount. If a guy does these things he would have to all but drive over it with his truck to need a replacement in the field. I have unfortunately dropped a rifle when a sling mount let go and it sailed down the steep side of a drainage striking a couple of good rocks along its route. Rifle looked like shit, scope bell with a quarter inch dent in its side - went back to camp, set a target and voila dead on still. And good on you to make em suck it up! The sun can't shine every day...

I've run i to several CO in WY they are always friendly, do quick checks and move on. THEY WILL ask questions because it looks funny. Be friendly and polite and explain and most likely they will wish you luck. They might keep an eye on the area though

It's legal in Wyoming, plenty of animals to hunt without a big game license in the forest.
A GW might ask what you are hunting but without cause he or she will not be in your face accusing you of illegal hunting.

This is Wyoming, not Colorado.

If it was me I’d call and talk to the game wardens or law enforcement in the state and area your going to before you go and get there take on it I know it doesn’t happen often but there have been a few cases of people on the internet giving incorrect information

Just call the game warden who would be writing you the ticket and ask them. Simple. No need to hear a thousand opinions and arguments.

If you are carrying a rifle, especially loaded, where wild game is present you are presumed to be hunting and can get a ticket if you carry it. Get a small game license and you are probably covered. Or carry it unloaded.

As for carrying backup rifles, nothing illegal in that at all. I commonly carry a pistol on my hip and sometimes a compound bow because archery for one animal often overlaps the rifle season of another. But if you are carrying a gun or bow, you are presumed to be hunting and can get a ticket. I verified this with a game warden before I started doing it.

For your own protection, I would not take my word or anyone else's here and call Wyoming Game and Fish at (307) 777-4600 and ask to talk to one of the senior game wardens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back