Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Legal MT muzzleloader bullet?

mtlion

I hear that powerbelts are not legal in MT weapons restricted zones due to the plastic disc. Anyone have suggestions for a good bullet that is legal? I'd be hunting whitetail.

I've tried these and really liked them...they're like the powerbelts, but without the plastic skirt

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB/

Thanks just what I was looking for. The MT regs are so vague: must only use plain lead projectiles, not sabots or similar projectiles.

My guess is these are good to go, definitely not a sabot. Anyone know if these are legal? Or does it have to be a chunk of lead like the Great Plains?

Last edited:
It looks like they should be but I really don't know. I don't fully understand the regs either, but clearly all my sabots are now useless.

I was told I couldn't use an in-line in these areas. I asked where it said that in the regs....which it doesn't specifically state. I have a working relationship with FWP, so it wasn't worth pushing.

I was told I couldn't use an in-line in these areas. I asked where it said that in the regs....which it doesn't specifically state. I have a working relationship with FWP, so it wasn't worth pushing.

That's a bunch of crap that they told you that. Inlines are legal if you use loose powder and plain lead projectiles. Now I don't know anyone that would do that as you lose much of the benefit of an inline. I mostly stick to a bow or traditional handgun in my weapons restricted area.

I see they are now allowing crossbows in the weapons restricted areas.

Weapons Restriction Areas

Weapons restrictions are in effect in
some hunting districts. Such restrictions
are stated in the license/permit
description and/or with a specifi c date
range.
The following equipment restrictions
apply to Weapons Restriction Areas:
• Muzzleloader
- must not be capable of being loaded
from the breech of the barrel;
- may not be loaded with any preprepared
paper or metallic cartridges;
- must be charged with black powder,
pyrodex, or an equivalent;
- must be ignited by a percussion,
flintlock, matchlock, or wheelock
mechanism;
- must be a minimum of .45 caliber;
- may have no more than two barrels;
and
- must only use plain lead projectiles, not
sabots or similar projectiles.
• Traditional Handgun
- is not capable of being shoulder
mounted;
- have a barrel length of less than 10
½ inches;
- chambers only a straight wall cartridge,
not originally developed for rifl es.
• Shotgun
- A shouldered, breech-loaded or
muzzle-loaded fi rearm with a smooth
bore and/or rifl ed barrel and/or rifl ed
choke device designed to fi re shot
or slugs.
• Archery
- See legal archery equipment in the
“Methods and Means of Hunting”
section.
• Crossbows
- Legal in weapons restriction areas
unless exception noted in specific
hunting district regulations.

Last edited:

I emailed a Bozeman area warden about that and his reply was inlines are legal in weapons restricted areas. I'll see if I still have the email.

I found the email it was in 2009, our conversation as follows:

Question:

Greetings, I have a question regarding muzzleloaders in weapons restricted areas. Are muzzleloaders using a 209 shotgun primer legal? Specifically an inline muzzleloader where a hammer strikes the 209 primer.

Answer:

Muzzleloaders that use shotgun primers as caps to ignite the charge are legal as long as the firearm is a true muzzleloader- that is, loaded (powder, and ball) from the muzzle. In-line firearms that load from the breech are not legal. This is not the first time we have received this question. We hope to make some clarifications in the 2009 regs that will be more clear given current technology. Other important specifics appear on Page 19 of the 2008 regulations:

The following equipment restrictions apply to Weapons

Restriction Areas:

Muzzleloader: There is no special season for muzzleloaders.

A muzzleloader:

• must not be capable of being loaded from the breech of the barrel;

• may not be loaded with any prepared paper or metallic cartridges;

• must be charged with black powder, pyrodex, or an equivalent;

• must be ignited by a percussion, flintlock, matchlock, or wheelock mechanism;

• must be a minimum of .45 caliber;

• may have no more than two barrels; and

• must only use lead, not sabots.

Last edited:
My bad for not reading all posts thoroughly.My impression was you COULD use sabots anywhere anytime except in "weapons restriction" zones.For example,Canyon Ferry management area is a weapons restriction zone w/ traditional only,i.e. lead projectile only w/out plastic jacket,or like.So as I understand the regs I can hunt during the rifle season with my traditional or inline ,as i like,but not so in a weapons restriction zone.Whatever,clearly it is vague,and F&G needs to tidy this one up with clear verbiage.

Thanks fellas. I was just looking to fill a whitey doe tag very close to home, so it wasn't a big deal to me, but was surprised with the response based on the ambiguity of the regulation. Figured I was good, but not worth effort or reprercussion. No big deal, just curious.

• Traditional Handgun
- is not capable of being shoulder
mounted;
- have a barrel length of less than 10
½ inches;
- chambers only a straight wall cartridge,
not originally developed for rifl es.
I find the bolded part of the "Traditional Handgun" regs interesting. Probably one of, if not THE, most classic and traditional handgun round is the 44-40 and it is not a straight walled cartridge.

44-40cartridges.jpg

Just got off the phone with a region 2 warden...inline muzzleloaders are legal, powerbelt bullets are not.

Picked up a box of solid lead bullets (great plains 385 grain) now to go sight the gun in with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back