Left Hand Semiauto Shotguns

High Desert

Since my last request produced some helpful information, I thought I would go back to the well a second time.
I am in the market for a left hand semiautomatic shotgun to be used almost exclusively for waterfowling. My search of the internet has produced only three options (there are a couple other lefty semiautos but they're not waterfowling models - the dipped finish is very helpful in our salty waters) and I would appreciate any feedback you have. Benelli SBE 2, Benelli M2 and Remington Versamax. The SBE 2 is about $500 more than the VM.
Thank You

I have the M2 and SBE2. It's a budget call, they both are terrific guns - if on a budget go M2 and never look back, if money is no issue grab the SBE2. Had a versamax a while back, not even close to the quality of the Benellis in my opinion.

I have put a few thousand rounds through my Versa Max without an issue. I used the butt spacers that come with the gun to get it to fit me perfectly. It has seen rough use from eastern US to Saskatchewan. It works. However, I have friends who hunt with SBEs and Berettas. They are happy with those guns. It is sort of like the Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate.

I have the M2 (2005-ish) in LH, and I may be the only person in the world that has had a rough time with a Benelli. Two warranty services in the first year or two: 1) cycling issues with all rounds due to mfg defects and 2) the barrel ring detached from the barrel while I was in SD hunting pheasant, barrel replaced.

I have never overcome the poor cycling despite replacing the spring with an aftermarket one which helped dramatically, but not a 100% solution. The shop I bought it from closed, so was forced to deal with Benelli which was about the worst customer service experience ever for a $1000 piece of equipment. They basically told me i was SOL.

I shoot the gun really well and as you know there arent many options for Left handers.

I shoot the Versa Max and have had very good service, not perfect, but it goes bang, bang bang almost all the time. There is a big difference between gas operated versus recoil operated IMO. I prefer the "kick" of the gas operated. But when it starts to fail, you have to clean all the inside moving parts now.

Don’t have any advice on shotguns for you, but rather than trusting the coating, I would buy a base model gun and cerakote it for the salt. It’s a couple hundred bucks but totally worth it. I spent two years hunting Laguna Madre when salinity was in the 80-100 ppt range which is comparable to GSL. Cerakote held up awesome.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Browning BPS, didn't see it mentioned. Great gun and ambidextrous.

Don’t have any advice on shotguns for you, but rather than trusting the coating, I would buy a base model gun and cerakote it for the salt. It’s a couple hundred bucks but totally worth it. I spent two years hunting Laguna Madre when salinity was in the 80-100 ppt range which is comparable to GSL. Cerakote held up awesome.
This could be done to a Franchi Affinity and still probably be less than a Benelli. The guts of the Franchi are nearly the same as the Benelli

https://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-left-hand-semi-auto-shotgun

I know of a gently used left handed M2 for sale, if that's the direction you want to go.

I had service done to my sbe for cycling issues, the first rep I talked to really pissed me off, so I called back later and talked to a manager. She was awesome, they told me if i ever have problems, even with springs to send it in and they would make it right. My gun has ran flawlessly since I sent it in several years ago and mine is the only one I have ever personally seen with problems. I recommend calling and talking with a manager because I had a much different experience with the managers.
My vote is benelli because of the inertia drive, extremely simple and won't freeze up in sub zero weather like gas guns can. I have had my lefty sbe for about 10 years, countless hours in a layout blind across Montana and Saskatchewan and I went shoot anything else and have no desire for another shotgun, which is unlike me.

I have the M2 (2005-ish) in LH, and I may be the only person in the world that has had a rough time with a Benelli. Two warranty services in the first year or two: 1) cycling issues with all rounds due to mfg defects and 2) the barrel ring detached from the barrel while I was in SD hunting pheasant, barrel replaced.

I have never overcome the poor cycling despite replacing the spring with an aftermarket one which helped dramatically, but not a 100% solution. The shop I bought it from closed, so was forced to deal with Benelli which was about the worst customer service experience ever for a $1000 piece of equipment. They basically told me i was SOL.

I shoot the gun really well and as you know there arent many options for Left handers.

Hit the wrong button, my post above was supposed to reply to your issues with benelli.

It appears I left out one left handed option: Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler. The features and reviews look great but I don't know anyone using one. Has anyone had experience with this shotgun?
thanks

I shoot lefty and just pick shotguns with tang safeties, other than the safety and possibly stock contour what difference does a RH v LH gun make. I’ve never had a chance to shoot a true left handed shotgun.

I shoot lefty and just pick shotguns with tang safeties, other than the safety and possibly stock contour what difference does a RH v LH gun make. I’ve never had a chance to shoot a true left handed shotgun.
Safety. Most RH guns are designed to direct gases and debris away from a RH shooter. That would be into the face of a LH shooter. Not that it happens all that often, but it's not hard to find reports of LH getting face fulls of gas or seeing fireballs in front of their face from shooting RH semi auto shotguns.

The first time my left handed son shot my right handed semiautomatic, he had debris go in his eyes.

The first time my left handed son shot my right handed semiautomatic, he had debris go in his eyes.
That sucks. I can see that being a good way to hurt a kids interest in a hurry!

The Fabarm has gotten very good reviews, of the few that I have found regarding that make/model.

Either I have gotten used to "debris" in my face or have been super lucky shooting right handed semi autos my whole life. I have never owned a lefty shotgun but now Im curious lol

Either I have gotten used to "debris" in my face or have been super lucky shooting right handed semi autos my whole life. I have never owned a lefty shotgun but now Im curious lol

Yeah never really thought about the debris aspect... I've never shot a left-handed firearm and never had a debris issue. That said I've mostly been using bolt guns and pumps, definitely something I will think about if I decided to get a semi auto.

Yeah never really thought about the debris aspect... I've never shot a left-handed firearm and never had a debris issue. That said I've mostly been using bolt guns and pumps, definitely something I will think about if I decided to get a semi auto.
Options are very slim for a LH semi-auto in 20ga. Much better if you are looking a 12ga. FWIW.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back