Leaving pronghorn to rot - Wyoming

thusby

Just got back from Wyoming and I have to admit I was a little disturbed by my findings. I got in 2nd week of season and on different occasions found 2 beautiful antelope bucks left to rot. They had been killed within 2-3 days of my arrival. Both had at least 2 killing shots in them. No way they were wounded and lost, both had rib cage shots. All I can figure is that someone shot them and didn't like the ground shrink and left them.
How often do you guys find this? I found a pile of 6 dead mule deer does last year in east Montana as well. You talk to people in the bar and they say antelope are good target practice. I'm starting to think this is more than euphemism.

I one time found a nice four point buck hanging in a tree a good mile and a half from the road. The buck had been there at least a year. I always figured that some one left it after deciding that the pack out was more than they wanted to do or that they were looking for a better one. Of course the deer was not tagged.

Another time I found a buck that had been shot about six hours earlier. The buck was gutted and untagged. That guy returned just after dark to retrieve that buck, but of course the warden was waiting for him to show up.

Last edited:
I some areas, to some people, Antelope are viewed on the same level as mice or rats. Just wrong! You should report it. Might not ever find the person or persons involved, but it should be recorded for if they do.

I seem to stumble onto a deer doe or two almost every year. And I try to report them when I get an opportunity.

I reported but seems unlikely anyone will get caught. Not sure on the logistics of that but there had to be a couple hundred trucks in there from 20 states.

Not totally pertaining to antelope, but the guys I grew up would go out spotlighting coyotes, well atleast that’s how things would start out. By the time they got to beer 3-4 the rules would change and anything else that got caught in the spotlight was shot and left, including white tailed deer. Some people really just like mayhem.

I would imagine this scenario could play out just as likely as lazy road hunter that didn’t wanna drag the animal anywhere.

Not totally pertaining to antelope, but the guys I grew up would go out spotlighting coyotes, well atleast that’s how things would start out. By the time they got to beer 3-4 the rules would change and anything else that got caught in the spotlight was shot and left, including white tailed deer. Some people really just like mayhem.

I would imagine this scenario could play out just as likely as lazy road hunter that didn’t wanna drag the animal anywhere.
I have heard this activity referred to as fuzzy butt hunting by some guys I was in the guard with.

Back