Learning to Shoot With Iron Sights - Important or Not?

I don’t see how the sight type could be more important than developing good form, breathing, etc with plenty of quality repetition. If anything, learning to find targets in a scope seems to be a hurdle for new shooters. Maybe starting with a scope earlier would be helpful.

I grew up on iron sights and think it is important. Was a great shot growing up. The switch to a scope was very challenging for me. My accuracy decreased and struggled for a number of years to gain the accuracy with a scope. Something about the magnified target and adhd made it very difficult for me. Listened to a couple podcasts from Ryan Cleckner a couple years ago about snipers and changed my shooting drastically. It all came down to focusing on the crosshairs not the target.

All that being said I think it is best to learn on both from the beginning.

The old man made me work my way up. Iron sights on bb gun. Then I earned the peep sight. I never used a scope until I hunted my first year and it showed. I used a rifle that year that was scoped and couldn't find the animals, the following year I had a model 94 with iron sights. I agree just like a stick shift everyone should learn to use them.

I learned on irons, BB gun first, .22 later, model 94 after that. I think it’s important, but not sure how I’ll start my boys out.

Those with kids, what has worked for you?

I shot iron sights long before I ever looked through a scope. Scopes are more efficient, but irons give you more of a sense of accomplishment. If you are a couple of inches off with a scope your first thought is that the scope needs adjusting. If you are a couple of inches off with iron sights your first thought is that you need to concentrate more.

I learned on irons, BB gun first, .22 later, model 94 after that. I think it’s important, but not sure how I’ll start my boys out.

My daughter started on a .22 cricket. The old man out a scope on it for her same for my nephew(Apparently granddaughters and grandson's get preferential treatment). I know all parents say their kids excell at everything, she is honestly a better shot than I am with a rifle. I felt horrible for never having her shoot with irons. When she joined the Army Reserves I was a little concerned, I didn't need to be. She scored very well and when we talked about it and expressed my concerns she looks at me and says, "It's ok daddy, all the scope does it bring 'em closer. I just watched the wind and where everyone else hit and did what I needed to do." It hit me at that moment. Kids do listen.

I learned how to shoot iron sights in the Army long before I ever had a scoped rifle. I also shot a trad bow before getting a compound with sights. You have to learn with the basics because one of these days you're going to have rain or fog or heavy snow that renders a scope or sights useless. I still bring my 30-30 on hunts with me for that purpose.

I learned how to shoot iron sights in the Army long before I ever had a scoped rifle. I also shot a trad bow before getting a compound with sights. You have to learn with the basics because one of these days you're going to have rain or fog or heavy snow that renders a scope or sights useless. I still bring my 30-30 on hunts with me for that purpose.
Smart!

I'm another that learned on iron sight's and I think it's a good thing to know. But chances are your gonna have a time finding a rifle with them today. And if you do it's probably set up to accept a scope and if it is pretty sure thing your gonna put a scope on it! Given time, as in age, you will discover that the old eye's are simply not very well up to the task any more and you'll find you NEED a scope just to sight in the rifle. Your probably gonna find out you shoot a lot better with a scope also. Something to do with seeing the target better! 1" aiming point through a scope, say about 4 power plus is pretty easy to see. Same aiming point through open sights quite a bit tuffer. Of course make the open sights a rear peep with the insert removed and the seeing seem's to get better to me! Still ain't a scope though. I hear people carry on about how nice open sight's are in tight cover, seem's to me they never looked through a low power fixed scope. Then there's the other side, drop your rifle on the scope and you could be finished shooting till the scope is fixed or replaced! Never noticed that happening with open sights!

Red Ryder with the sights cut off, then Red Ryder with sights. Then .22 Ithaca 49 single shot. Working up to scoped .22. Only one of them took a deer with the Model 94. the other two went bolt action from the beginning.

Starting the boys on the RR without sights, they are all better wing shots than I will ever be. I took them up to where they could hit a ball or frisbee rolled along the ground consistently. I got the idea from an article I read about starting kids out to be shotgunners. It carried over to rifle as well.

The other thing is don't assume their dominant eye. Cross dominance is common in our family. Have them do the dominant eye test regularly until you are 100% sure.

I recently added the iron sights option to my WWII Springfield. In rough country or bad weather I can quick detach my 3x9 scope and flip up the adjustable folding rear leaf. Unfortunately, with my old man eyes I have to look over my prescription glasses to make it work. The sights were only added a few weeks before going to Africa in August followed shortly thereafter to Montana for deer season so I really haven't had time yet to get "automatic" with them. I need to do a lot of dry fire practice in the living room (with curtains pulled ... I live in town).
in the case.jpg20220711_203146.jpg
How important is it? Actually, I think a scope turned down to 3x and fitted properly (height above receiver and correct eye relief) is much more likely to produce accurate (i.e. ethical) shot placement in an animal at ranges of 150 yards or less. My personal feeling is no one has any business shooting at living things with iron sights past that distance. Learning to drive stick shift is interesting but for most folks it won't make them a safer or better driver. The learning process is certainly a lot more efficient (safer) driving an automatic transmission. I see no usefulness starting a new shooter with iron sights.

I learned to shoot with iron sights and never used a scope until the 80's and still have my 94 as backup. Learned archery on a Pearson straight bow and never got past a Bear recurve.

When I hunt I prefer an appropriate power scope. When some one is shooting back at me I want iron sights (preferable a peep).

Why?

Hunting usually allows me time for carefully aimed shot, to insure a clean 1 shot kill.

In combat I want fast acquisition/guick follow-up and don't give a d@mn if it's a gut/lung/leg/neck/toe shot.

Having the skill with iron sights keeps me more accurate with the scope, so Yes, you should be proficient with both.

A guy could be born, live, and die, and be an incredible marksman and hunter, and never utilize iron sites.

But, like fishing with a bobber, one way they are great is they are accessible and a great introduction, though they are not necessarily introductory. They're fun! Who didn't have a red rider growing up?

They're a tool in the toolkit, and one would be missing out if one didn't at least know how they work and practice with them.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back