Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leaky Waders...

MKotur325

Anyone have suggestions on repairing breathable waders? I have a 7 year old pair of Simms Guide Waders. Right where they transition to the neoprene boot, the waders are leaking at the seem.

I have looked briefly into some of the wader patch kits, none so far want to adhere to both the breathable and neoprene. Any thoughts, or is it just time to go shopping...

Thanks in Advance.

My waders end up with shoe goo. Of course when they start pulling away, it shows me it is time to start shopping. I can usually finish a year with the goo though.

Send them into Simms for repair. It will cost you $50-75, but you might get another year or two out of them. Otherwise I'd be happy with 7 years of use, and start shopping.

Anyone have suggestions on repairing breathable waders? I have a 7 year old pair of Simms Guide Waders. Right where they transition to the neoprene boot, the waders are leaking at the seem.

I have looked briefly into some of the wader patch kits, none so far want to adhere to both the breathable and neoprene. Any thoughts, or is it just time to go shopping...

Thanks in Advance.

Turn them inside out, hand wash with warm soapy water, let 'em dry then spray them with rubbing alcohol. The leaks will show up as dark spots or streaks. Shoe goo or any other silicone based sealer will work to take care of small pinholes. If it's a big leak, send them in to Simms. Great customer service.

I am curious as well. I was thinking about Flex Steel for sheet and giggles, but didn't pull the trigger. Usually I just buy a new pair, but there must be a better way.

I would call Simms, if nothing else get their advice. Depending on the model I believe you get one freebie repair/replacement, at least on the newer gear. Have to confirm that obviously.

Hey miller, don't you know it's like "Hoover damn in a can!"

There is a house on the Crow Rez about a mile toward Hardin from the Bighorn 13 mile take out that has prolly 10 cans of it on its roof. You can't miss it because they used white in the black roof.

Nothing holds up better than the made in USA Simms waders. I'd just send them in and see what they say. Who knows, maybe they'll pro rate them for you on a new pair.

When they leak at the neoprene bootie connection there is no hope. Your feet will always get wet. You can try all of the mentioned methods but I would try to get some new Simms for 50 bucks. They may give you a replacement for free as others have mentioned. I will never try to fix a wafer unless I can see the hole immediately.

7 years, that is a good run for any wader, try Aquasure, pretty good stuff, saved me a few times.
If i am lucky i might get 2 years (i am a fly fishing guide in the UK) out of my Pro Guide Orvis waders, but for my clients i now buy heavy duty nylon waders, they are pretty much bullet proof, i had one pair last over 10 years!
Holly bushes and bramble are the worst offender for putting tiny holes in breathable waders.
There is a guy in the UK who charges $75, he pressure tests them and seals every hole, you get back in effect a new pair of waders.
Cheers
Richard

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back