Waders for SE AK?

KayakMacGyver

I live and hunt in Florida and waders aren't something I use very often. With that, I have a $75 neoprene pair from Academy Sports that work OK for the times that I need them. They have pinhole leaks in the stitching that I've spent enough money on trying to seal and it's looking like I may need an upgrade for our May 2021 black bear hunt in SE Alaska.

I'd like to hit some kind of a sweet spot between the top of the line and the crap I have now. Considering I don't use waders much, I can't justify spending a fortune on a sweet set of Simms. That said, it would be nice to add a good set of waders for all around use.

A few questions:

1) Are waders practically necessary for this hunt? I'm assuming YES, since just about every video I've seen shows guys wearing waders on this hunt but figured I'd ask.

2) Should I look at hip waders, or only full sets?

3) Neoprene or some other type of material?

4) Integrated rubber boots or felt socks with separate shoes?

Any recommendations on brands/waders are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

I got a good pair of simms boots and then a cheap pair of waders for my hunt $75. Figured that way I could upgrade the waders down the line.

You can't use felt bottoms in SEAK.

Hip boots would probably work, but you might get a bit wet at times.

Neoprene waders are heavy and bulky to fly with I'd go with the nylon ones.

I'd bring a roll of gorilla tape if you go the route I did though lol

When I go to Alaska hunting or fishing I use cabelas pant waders that are boot foot but the attached boot is laceable for better hiking. A quick look on their website appears that the pair I have is no longer available. If you are not expecting below freezing temperatures a stocking foot wader and separate boots would be the way to go, but if the temperatures will get below freezing it is a pain in the rear end to put frozen wading boots on in the morning.

I like breathable stockingfoot waders for 2 reasons.

1) Easier to fit in a bush plane/pack

2) I can turn them completely inside out and hang them and they are dry by morning...

I have used SIMMS Freestone for the past 3 years and they are still going strong..$299

Felt bottoms are illegal in Alaska for hunting and fishing:illegal felt soles link

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best thing would be a nice set of pants waders. I think that waist-high height is the sweet spot. You’ll be able to sit down without getting your butt wet, which will be nice. But you really don’t need something as tall as chest waders. I used hip boots on both of my trips and went over my boot tops at least once each trip. 🙄

This is great feedback. I had no idea on the felt boot thing and am glad I asked the question. Good reminder to add some rule reading time to my agenda very soon. Having applied for this tag a year ago, it' been too easy to ignore that part of the planning process.

This is great feedback. I had no idea on the felt boot thing and am glad I asked the question. Good reminder to add some rule reading time to my agenda very soon. Having applied for this tag a year ago, it' been too easy to ignore that part of the planning process.
Other rules that are a little different from other hunts.

No shooting from a boat, canoe whatever, feet need to be on the ground.

If you hit a bear/draw blood you're done.

I recommend breathable(non-neoprene) waders for virtually everything outside of hunting flooded timber for ducks in the cold. For me, they just move better and I don't sweat as much in them. They're usually plenty roomy to layer underneath if it gets cold. If you're going to be doing much walking, I prefer stocking foot waders with separate boots. I just like the ability to snug up the boot laces. As others have said, waist high waders would probably be ideal, but chest waders are usually easier to find and can be less expensive.

I recommend breathable(non-neoprene) waders for virtually everything outside of hunting flooded timber for ducks in the cold. For me, they just move better and I don't sweat as much in them. They're usually plenty roomy to layer underneath if it gets cold. If you're going to be doing much walking, I prefer stocking foot waders with separate boots. I just like the ability to snug up the boot laces. As others have said, waist high waders would probably be ideal, but chest waders are usually easier to find and can be less expensive.
Bang on. Good advice. I had no trouble staying warm in my breathable waders fly fishing Brooks River just after the ice went out. Longjohns, bluejeans, and wool pants with double layer of wool socks.

For that particular hunt, and I will be doing it also this spring, I will be using insulated hip boots. And not stocking foot hipboots either. I expect cold, wet weather which makes stocking foots hard to stand, and the lodge owner where we are staying recommended hip boots over waders. They will be a heck of a lot easier to pack up and back as well.

I wore stocking foot waders on an Alaskan moose hunt and got away with it, but the weather was warmer than normal.

If you hit a bear/draw blood you're done.
SEAK black bears is on my list to hunt in the next couple of years. If you hit a bear and it doesnt go down, can you shoot it the next day or so if you can verify (same size, hair, distinctive patters, visible injury) that it is 100% the bear you shot at? Or do you have to punch your tag if you hit and dont kill that day?

SEAK black bears is on my list to hunt in the next couple of years. If you hit a bear and it doesnt go down, can you shoot it the next day or so if you can verify (same size, hair, distinctive patters, visible injury) that it is 100% the bear you shot at? Or do you have to punch your tag if you hit and dont kill that day?
Honestly I don’t know, that’s a good question. I would contact a game warden with thy question.

I watched Atz Kilcher shoot a bear from a paddleboard on one episode of Alaska the Last Frontier. Never heard anything about it being wrong.

I live in SEAK and i wear simms waders with stocking feet and synthetic waders boots all the time hunting. Always for moose, often for deer, this year i wore them on the first and last days of a goat hunt as we climbed up a stream. I think you could wear waders every day on a coastal black bear hunt.

I'm not sure you need the heaviest set though. They certainly wouldn't translate well to warmer areas. Lighter waders with fewer layers of Gore-Tex would just mean you have to be more careful. All waders end up leaking a little but tears that fill up with water are a bad deal. A good trick is wear gaiters or an old pair of rubber rainpants over your waders if you are going to be bushwhacking. As others have said it is nice to be able to turn them inside out and start each day off dry. Wish I could do that with my sheep boots.

I live in GMU 2, and have both breathable pant waders, and a pair of Chota breathable wading socks. I hunt alpine, timber/muskegs, from a boat, canoe up into tidal salt marshes. I walk a lot, and find I sweat a lot in the breathable pant waders. So for me, I stick with the Chota wading socks and a pair of wading boots with micro-studs screwed into the bottom of them. My current boots are Cabela's Bonestalkers; light weight, lace tight, and I can walk all day in them. If it is raining or wet I use a pair of those German Military surplus flecktarn 3-ply goretex rain bibs. Even wearing those there is so much airflow that sweat does not build up. The wading socks are $79, boots $79, rain bibs $29. We are a one teacher income household, so $$ count. I have found this setup eminently suitable, comfortable, and flexible based on weather conditions.

Back