Pick me out a set of waders

CowboyLeroy

I'm trying to pick out a new set of waders, and I haven't bought any in several years. I'm interested in breathable waders, but I have zero experience with them. 95 percent of my duck hunting will be done in relatively warm climate so they don't need to be in super insulated. I'd rather not go over the 250-300 dollar mark as the far vast majority of my hunting will be in flooded choked out wood duck holes so I don't want to tear up anything too nice.

I am also poor.

Anything you think may fit the bill along with all of your anecdotal arguments will be appreciated.

Cheap or tough. Pick one. Can't have both. Best compromise might be some medium weight neoprene ones and either buy two pairs, or learn how to patch them. Cabela's has some on sale right now. Probably sales at Mack's, Roger's, etc.

They all suck I don't care how much you spend they rip. So far rogers brand has lasted the longest for me. Keep in mind these are neoprene. My buddy swears by breathable and has been through like 4 brands in 4 years. I say flip a coin for the best on sale deal you can buy. Good luck.

Breathables with a zip out liner.
Last set were Frogg Togg Chesapeakes that lasted 2.5 seasons.
Just bought a set of FA (I believe the Acuta's).

Only one hunt in them thus far, seems comparable to my Frogg Toggs but I caught them on sale for $170 vs $450 they want for the new version of Toggs.

I just expect 2 seasons out of my waders. Anything more is a plus.
The moment I feel a pin drop of a leak I'll start searching for deals

It's a real crap-shoot. I have had best luck with cheap, breathable cabelas brand waders, BUT, that was before Bass Pro bought them out. My understanding is quality is down across the board now. I'm going to try High N Dry next, but agree that higher cost does not in any way guarantee better waders won't leak after a year or two. Buy on sale, and learn about patching.

If you're in a warm area with woodies throughout the season, I'd go breathable waders.
Neoprene are tougher but a lot hotter, I think I got 2 seasons or so out of the rogers/frog toggs breathables.
Like many stated, I just look at it like an expected cost every couple seasons.

What @Nick87 said. I do buy the breathable models though, Rogers working man or whatever I can get for 150-200 bucks (I like one big chest pouch instead of shell holders). If I get 3 seasons out of em, great. If I get 1 out of em, so be it. I bought the pair I have before the 2022 season and noticed this fall I had some very small leaks in them. I'm prepared to buy another set before next fall if need be.

I wear waders typically over 30 days a year so they get a lot of use. I used to be a $150 wader man and just planned on replacing them every two years. Then it seemed like quality really hit the tank and it was basically an annual expense. Maybe I need to knock on some serious wood here, but last year I dropped the massive amount of cash on the Sitka waders when they were on sale (I think it was still like $800 for them or something like that) but they have gone through a lot and I absolutely love them! I do baby them slightly when I in some rough walking through woods/swamps just because I don't want them to catch and tear but a few mistakes have got them caught and they came through unscathed. The only draw back is they are a very noisy pair of waders when walking.

If I can finish this season with them and then also get them through next year I will consider it worth the investment. So I can't quite fully endorse them.

Maybe I need to knock on some serious wood here, but last year I dropped the massive amount of cash on the Sitka waders when they were on sale (I think it was still like $800 for them or something like that) but they have gone through a lot and I absolutely love them!
How do they fair warmth wise up in WI?
I've been unsure about them and other similar options due to them being totally uninsulated in the body.
Are the boots themselves insulated?

I’ve had just about every type of waders through the years. The breathable waders from the major brands are a significant improvement over the neoprene waders of the past. In terms of comfort, mobility, and warmth, they are worth it. I am on my second pair of breathable waders and they have been every bit as durable, if not more durable, than past neoprene waders. Don’t have any specific recommendations on brands/models, had a pair of Banded previously and have a pair of Lacrosse now. Been happy with both. As stated above, shop the sales, big markdowns to be had. Rogers Sporting goods usually slashes the prices on their waders after the season ends in the spring.

How do they fair warmth wise up in WI?
I've been unsure about them and other similar options due to them being totally uninsulated in the body.
Are the boots themselves insulated?
1000 gram boots. Works for me just fine with two heavy socks down to 15 degrees or so. Beyond that it's cold but what isnt at that temp.

I do need to really think about my pant choices. With neoprene it's usually easy to figure out but when you walk a lot, it's easy to get sweated up and cold. Sweating isn't a concern with the sitkas but being cold sitting can be if I don't have enough layers on. I make it work and never get cold though

I wear waders typically over 30 days a year so they get a lot of use. I used to be a $150 wader man and just planned on replacing them every two years. Then it seemed like quality really hit the tank and it was basically an annual expense. Maybe I need to knock on some serious wood here, but last year I dropped the massive amount of cash on the Sitka waders when they were on sale (I think it was still like $800 for them or something like that) but they have gone through a lot and I absolutely love them! I do baby them slightly when I in some rough walking through woods/swamps just because I don't want them to catch and tear but a few mistakes have got them caught and they came through unscathed. The only draw back is they are a very noisy pair of waders when walking.

If I can finish this season with them and then also get them through next year I will consider it worth the investment. So I can't quite fully endorse them.
I considered them or Chêne but good lord that's a steep hill to climb.

The biggest perk of rhe sitka waders is the zippered front. I will never own a pair that isn't zippered ever again. It is glorious when I'm standing there in muck and water and I turn, unzip and take a piss while my buddy is standing there with a jealous look on his face

The biggest perk of rhe sitka waders is the zippered front. I will never own a pair that isn't zippered ever again. It is glorious when I'm standing there in muck and water and I turn, unzip and take a piss while my buddy is standing there with a jealous look on his face
Agreed with everything Seth has said so far. I was buying neoprene waders every year for me or my son. I got tired of it, and splurged on the Sitkas. That was 3-4 years ago, and when I don’t use them my son does. I bought the pair of Sitka sweat pants to wear with them when it gets colder, and it’s really comfortable.

I believe I’m money ahead now after buying the Sitkas.

Neil

I'm surprised you the amount of rogers reviews on here. I'd never heard of them before but they looked cool. Keep it coming!
Best bang for the buck imo. The Sitka waders have a warranty but waders don't leak when your not using them. What are you gonna wear while there out for the season on repair? Oh wait I know the rogers waders you got on sale. 😉

Best bang for the buck imo. The Sitka waders have a warranty but waders don't leak when your not using them. What are you gonna wear while there out for the season on repair? Oh wait I know the rogers waders you got on sale. 😉
they gotta leak first though to have to return them :) I'm totally screwed now and they are gonna leak this Sat...

I’m in year 3 of a pair of Frogg Toggs Grand Refuge waders and whenever they crap out I’ll be buying another one. Extremely warm and comfortable and they can be had for less than $300 if you shop around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back