hunt ideas

KY Sportsman

Thanks to Big Fin, this website & Helpful WGFD a hunt buddy & I did 7 years with OYO antelope hunts. He died 3 years ago with brain cancer so I sorta lost interest for a while. Still deer hunt in KY and last year took a guided cow elk hunt in CO. The antelope bug has bitten again so I am looking for ideas. Next year will be one of those years with a zero in it on the far side of 50. Anyone have thoughts? Following this thread and the state game sites it has been a tough couple of years both with tags & pure animal survival. I figure I still have at least one more hunt in me being a former Marine & all that goes with that. Thanks for any thoughts.

What about a combo hunt? Muley/Pronghorn? Muley/Whitetail? What are your goals? Adventure? Quality? Quantity?

Just in Wyoming?
Just DIY or would you consider guided?
Price range?
If you enjoyed your guided cow elk hunt you could go on a pretty fun guided antelope hunt in New Mexico.

Not interested in bucks just love antelope meat so a couple of does are fine, and yes I would consider a guided hunt. Any state as I have no preference points. Mule deer have been on my bucket list, but the primary aim is antelope.

If you’re after does I would research an easy draw with lots of pronghorn. Maybe a state you’ve never been, but if you’re looking for volume WY is the way to go.

It may take awhile for the WY herd to recover to where they are issuing typical numbers of doe tags again. Estimates are 70% winter kill this past winter in south central and southwest WY. They won’t recover from that in a year. I’d consider another state if you want to hunt next year and don’t have any points.

Points don't matter for doe tags in wyoming put in for the best odds. Which will be checkerboard but you'd be surprised how easy you can gain private access with that tag. Good luck

Points don't matter for doe tags in wyoming put in for the best odds. Which will be checkerboard but you'd be surprised how easy you can gain private access with that tag. Good luck
Yeah we have some great success using the WGF website to find walk in areas and landowner info. If I remember correctly a good portion of them specifically noted a need for doe/fawn hunters. That has been a few yrs, but it was fairly easy to gain access for doe/fawns at that time.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like NM with guide next year may the the best idea. I will need to check their status on does and may need to get a buck also particularly with a guide. I have no problems with bucks, it's just I have a couple of nice ones and just as soon go for meat. I will miss the camping in WY and the tacos & burritos in Laramie, but maybe that is best kept in the memory bank.
Good luck to all who drew this year & hope for a milder winter in '23-'24

i drew the Montana archery only 900-20 tag with no points. there are a ton of units for that tag, and your chances of drawing are near 100%.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back