Lead Shot Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I’m not inclined to re-type the descriptions of raptor anatomy, digestion, and lead, here’s a link to the last time we had this discussion. It was a good one for the most part…much more informational and educational on all levels than this thread has been.

When we first moved to our new property I found a local bluebird organization who was trying to preserve the local population. I had a representative out to our property and she gave me the run down about development, habitat, starlings, etc.

When starlings came up in conversation I mentioned I go after them during nesting season, as I have personally seen them attack and outcompete a number of native cavity nesters. I mentioned I used copper ammo in case any carcasses are picked up by raptors and she must have said thank you a dozen times. She was a birder and knew a veterinarian who has dealt with raptors and lead poisoning.

That conversation transitioned naturally to hunting and it ended with me telling her I’ll put up as many bluebird boxes as I can, and if she knew about other wildlife nonprofits in the area to send them my way. This lady was not a hunter but had a positive interaction with a hunter. That’s how you build bridges and improve public relations.

I had a hunting buddy talk to me about lead bullets last summer and I switched to copper the next day. If there was consistent research showing the chemicals in my salmon egg cure was killing the red legged frog, I would find a new egg cure, or alternative bait. Conservation is an agenda that many hunters have forgotten about. As leaders of wildlife management we should step up to the plate or someone else will.
The wind farm turbines kill far more birds than birds ingesting lead does. The greenies and anti hunters don't want to talk about that though.

The wind farm turbines kill far more birds than birds ingesting lead does. The greenies and anti hunters don't want to talk about that though.
Guess what? We can work on multiple problems at once in this country. Phasing out lead ammo and making wind turbines better.

Ever been under and around those "Bird Blenders"? I have, you'd be surprised at what you see.
A little hyperbolic. Yes, we have several in my district. Yes, they can kill birds. However sited properly and with other mitigation techniques, direct mortality due to strikes can be reduced. The much larger issue with wind farms is outright bird avoidance, which essentially renders vast areas of habitat as unsuitable/unusable. That is where the much larger population level impacts will likely be found.

However, to prevent deflecting and redirecting, this has all been discussed in other threads.

Here you go https://www.fws.gov/midwest/refuges/Review and Assessment paper.pdf#page57

Each link you see is a citation to a study listed in the appendix. You can Google them and read at your leisure. It might take a while because there is a lot of data on the effects of lead ingestion in birds. My guess is you won’t because you are not interested in learning anything about the subject.
Golden, Warner and Coffey are all FWS lackeys?
I find this particular "writing" a swirling vortex of entropy with link after link after link to other studies and papers, etc, etc.
It looks like these three spent quite a bit of time cherry picking and assembling data to fulfill a government (FWS?) desire.
Had the three been independent of the government, it may have been more convincing.

p.s. - I can only "presume" the article was "peer reviewed"?

Here are a couple of sites that, to me, make sense and if you will read them (I really don't care whether you do or not) you will see that the FWS would (did?) not release all data as requested under the FOIA in regards to their lead studies.
Why?
Conflicts of interest abound in the California "lead ban" studies.

I'm amazed that "pro-ban" posters are the ones who sling the most barbs.
Hiding something folks?
Or just can't abide someone who disagrees?

Dude, if you're so set on it being fake call your congressman or something. You're not going anywhere here bitching about it!

@Otto Matic. This will be my last post on this thread. Here is a study written by Frank Bellrose in 1959, while you were still eating paint chips. Bellrose is considered a preeminent authority on waterfowl. Probably a "hack" by your definition.

https://iopn.library.illinois.edu/journals/inhs/article/view/172

Also, "peer review" is considered necessary for a study to be considered legitimate. It is an evaluation of the process, not necessarily of the conclusion. I doubt you can understand the nuance, or even want to. Science is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back