Yeti GOBOX Collection

Late Wyoming Elk Hunt

The bolded part isn't right either, crossing from corner to corner does NOT violate GF trespass statute, and why they wont write for it.

Its also not the responsibility of the hunter to prove his innocence in a corner crossing case, but the job of the prosecutor/landowner to prove you DIDNT step directly over a corner. In the case of a pin not being there, how in the hell does a prosecutor prove that you didn't cross directly over the corner? Its really easy for me to present a GPS track that goes directly over the corner. Nearly impossible for a landowner/prosecutor or sheriff to prove you didn't. In particular if they corner isn't surveyed in, your GPS is just as accurate as theirs.

I would maybe consider saving my GPS track, but other than that...I'd like to watch a prosecutor present proof that I didn't cross right at the corner.
The bolded part is the direct quote from the G&F after receiving an opinion from the AG. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with...it says that corner jumping may not violate the G&F trespass statute (it doesn't if you're not intending to hunt on private), which is what you were saying. It does say that it may still violate WY criminal trespass, but the warden wouldn't write a ticket for that--please read Clevland's response in the Casper Star:
Game and Fish Director Terry Cleveland said the opinion means the agency will change its method of handling corner jumping complaints. "If somebody calls us and tells us there's corner jumping occurring, we'll simply tell them we don't have the authority to do something about it," Cleveland said in a phone interview. "If they call us on a trespass situation and we get out there and find it's a corner jumping complaint … then we'll tell them they should take it up with the county sheriff or the county attorney," he said.

I'm trying to agree with you: (1) The warden probably won't write you up. (2) You might win the court case. But if the landowner has deep pockets he may take you to court anyways...you'll win, but it will cost. If you have the time, money, and inclination to fight the battle--by all means, go for it.

I'm trying to agree with you: (1) The warden probably won't write you up. (2) You might win the court case. But if the landowner has deep pockets he may take you to court anyways...you'll win, but it will cost. If you have the time, money, and inclination to fight the battle--by all means, go for it.

Where I hunt the landowner who has the most to gain if hunters don't corner cross is in the top 50 landowners nationwide. He's in the oil business, has the ranch to hunt on and has deep pockets and expensive lawyers at his fingertips. Obviously his attorneys are not advising him to push civil proceedings against those crossing corners, which is done regularly during hunting season. They don't want the battle because they will lose.

As a high school football coach, my hunting time during traditional elk hunt dates is pretty limited. So this year I decided to take a different approach and apply for a later season hunt on the other end of the state.

I was fortunate enough to draw a late tag in the Shirley’s that runs much of the month of November. I know this unit has received a good deal of press prior to this year, so I’ve explored archived discussions on this and other similar websites. After doing a lot of scouting on OnX and Google Earth and speaking with Game and Fish’s regional biologist, I’ve narrowed my focus quite a bit to the south end of the unit. But I have a few questions in terms of accessibility, timing, habitat, and effective navigation of the checkerboard in the area.

It might be a long shot, but I’d love to connect with somebody who has hunted the area/season and see if I can get some insight into what to expect out of this hunt. I totally understand if people want to keep the information close to the vest, but would appreciate any information anyone is willing to share. I'm happy to keep the conversation on DM if that works best too!

I look forward to connecting with and sharing the results of this hunt with the hunttalk community! Here’s hoping for big beautiful winter range bulls!
To Get back to the original question, I've hunted the Shirleys first in 1970, and every year since 1990, so I have some background. Early hunting pressure in the Shirley Mountain elk season drives most of the elk on the east side of the mountain to Pine Hill, Windy Peak, and Battle Mountain, plus south onto private land as far as the Medicine Bow River. They sit largely undisturbed on checkerboard land, as others have said, so getting access via the Beer Mug HMA is a very good idea. There usually will be a bunch of bulls on the back side of Battle Mountain that are accessible from the Beer Mug HMA onto Adjacent BLM or State sections. A friend had a cow license four years ago with access on The Beer Mug HMA, and saw 72 branch antlered bulls on November 1, but no cows. Be sure to check with the Ellis Ranch, located at Beer Mug Mountain/, as that appears to be out of the unit this year, and bulls show up there after being run off the Shirleys. There may also be elk between highways 287 and 77, depending on weather, and there may still be some wandering around on Pine Hill if the weather hasn't been too severe and you can get there. Do not forget Chalk Mountain west of Shirley Rim, as elk move over there during and after the regular hunting season on the Shirleys. There may also be some elk on Four Mile Point west of the Dry Creek road, and low down on Lost Creek on the west side of the Shirleys. I've killed two elk on the state section west of the highway and just south of the access road into the Beer Mug HMA. Bring a GPS and an Onyx chip for Wyoming.

To Get back to the original question, I've hunted the Shirleys first in 1970, and every year since 1990, so I have some background. Early hunting pressure in the Shirley Mountain elk season drives most of the elk on the east side of the mountain to Pine Hill, Windy Peak, and Battle Mountain, plus south onto private land as far as the Medicine Bow River. They sit largely undisturbed on checkerboard land, as others have said, so getting access via the Beer Mug HMA is a very good idea. There usually will be a bunch of bulls on the back side of Battle Mountain that are accessible from the Beer Mug HMA onto Adjacent BLM or State sections. A friend had a cow license four years ago with access on The Beer Mug HMA, and saw 72 branch antlered bulls on November 1, but no cows. Be sure to check with the Ellis Ranch, located at Beer Mug Mountain/, as that appears to be out of the unit this year, and bulls show up there after being run off the Shirleys. There may also be elk between highways 287 and 77, depending on weather, and there may still be some wandering around on Pine Hill if the weather hasn't been too severe and you can get there. Do not forget Chalk Mountain west of Shirley Rim, as elk move over there during and after the regular hunting season on the Shirleys. There may also be some elk on Four Mile Point west of the Dry Creek road, and low down on Lost Creek on the west side of the Shirleys. I've killed two elk on the state section west of the highway and just south of the access road into the Beer Mug HMA. Bring a GPS and an Onyx chip for Wyoming.
Thanks for the insight. I plan on applying for the beer mug and will try and contact the rancher that withdrew from the HMA. I have already been marking my onX up pretty heavily and plan on using it extensively on the hunt. Hopefully weather will cooperate and the hunt will be memorable! Thanks again!

Thanks for the insight. I plan on applying for the beer mug and will try and contact the rancher that withdrew from the HMA. I have already been marking my onX up pretty heavily and plan on using it extensively on the hunt. Hopefully weather will cooperate and the hunt will be memorable! Thanks again!
How did your hunt go?

The fence on BLM is to keep the cows in or out. Nothing to do with people

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back