Late Season CO Deer

bmack

I had the opportunity to do a different hunt than I've ever done before, accessing some private land east of Denver. My friend's family owns some property along a creek bottom that checkerboards for several miles.

They'd killed some nice bucks in the previous years and had seen a couple nice 180" + bucks this year.

The late season started on Dec. 1st and I figured it would be a fun late season hunt.

Opening morning the plan was to help out my friend Tony's 13 year old cousin Jake. He'd never killed a buck before and we were planning on changing that. The temps were unusually warm with highs in the 60's. The old jeep we had as our transportation was nice in this weather!

Sunrise.JPG

Jeep.JPG

We found a nice buck opening day and asked Jake if he was interested? An immediate "Yes" and the plan was in place. We got right in on the deer as the cottonwood chocked creek bottom provided some great cover.

At 180 yards Jake patiently waited for the bedded buck to stand. Once he did the young man made a hell of a good shot. He's a stoic 13 year old not showing much emotion during the entire process. We had to poke at him pretty hard to get a smile.

Macro.JPG

13 CO Deer Jake.jpg

Casey (First Lite), Me (KUIU), Tony (Sitka Gear) and Jake (Wranglers). Lol.
13 CO Deer Crew.jpg

He would later say he was "smiling on the inside". A great experience all around and one hunt we won't soon forget.

No action the next several days. With not much ground to hunt our options were limited. So, we enjoyed the scenery and kept looking. A big cold front was coming and I was hoping that would mix things up.

13 CO Deer.jpg

Cottonwoods.JPG

13 CO Deer II.jpg

To say it got cold was an understatement. Below zero temps and snow got the deer moving around.

Weather.jpg

The jeep isn't ideal in this weather!

13 CO Deer Jeep.jpg

Finally found a decent buck who was rutting hard and chasing does all over. Actually pretty fun to watch. We had to door knock 2 places to get permission and to our surprise they gave us the green light.

13 CO Deer Scope.jpg

About 2 hours later with frozen hands I took this nice buck. He's my best buck as I'm not much of a deer hunter. This was my first rifle deer hunt and killing him in these conditions was a treat.

13 CO Deer BII.jpg

13 CO Deer B.jpg

13 CO Deer BIII.jpg

Probably won't do a hunt like that again. Too limiting in that area. I'll roll the dice on public land all day long. But, a good time none the less.

Take me on that hunt and see how hard it is to get me to STOP smiling if I kill a buck like that. Either of them. Congrats to you and Jake. Love the Jeep in the icy conditions!

Nice job, there's some nice genetics out east.

If your friends ever need anymore help with population control shoot me a PM.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back