Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Late night elk in Idaho

elker

2nd year in row we managed to get 2 elk out of a herd within a 1/4 mile both years. Picture is of the bull friend shot and I shot a cow. As it usually goes, both elk went downhill in a valley. Late evening on these 2, we did gutless and packed the quarters, head, back straps, etc. It took until 2:30 am to finish the uphill packing, went to bed after 5:00 am after skinning and hanging. Starting to think getting too old for this, 63 yo, although this helps me stay in shape and hunting with younger, more stout friends. Pretty decent bull for my buddies 1st elk. The other hunter got a rag-horn 2 days later.IMG_20191015_214549494.jpg

Congrats to you and your buddy! If you keep yourself in shape even at 63 you still have a lot of elk hunting left to do.

There's more to this story, a question of ethics and respect for other hunters. The afternoon we shot the elk, I rode my SxS up a road and came across 2 hunters glassing the mountains ahead of where I was going. Instead of driving by them and possibly screwing up their hunt, I stopped to talk to one of them. Found out they had bull tags and I had a cow tag. Moments later, the other hunter said he was watching 4 cows on a hillside. Found out they were from out-of-state which doesn't bother me (out of state brings in more than half of revenue for F&G) and had hiked up the 4 miles to hunt there. They asked me if I wanted to go after a cow as no bulls were spotted. After a stalk on what we thought were just cows, a herd of about 60 elk were feeding over a ridge. Since one of the guys had a bull tag, I said for him to pick out a bull, shoot 1st, and I'll find a cow to shoot. Well it all came together and as I quartered the elk, they hauled the quarters to the SxS. As a result, I made some great friends, we got 2 elk, and they're coming back to hunt bears in the spring. I'm sure most, if not all of us, have had other hunters blow by and ruin a stalk or hunt. Something to think about as meeting other fellow hunters and it's not all about filling a tag. Thanks for all the congrats!

2nd year in row we managed to get 2 elk out of a herd within a 1/4 mile both years. Picture is of the bull friend shot and I shot a cow. As it usually goes, both elk went downhill in a valley. Late evening on these 2, we did gutless and packed the quarters, head, back straps, etc. It took until 2:30 am to finish the uphill packing, went to bed after 5:00 am after skinning and hanging. Starting to think getting too old for this, 63 yo, although this helps me stay in shape and hunting with younger, more stout friends. Pretty decent bull for my buddies 1st elk. The other hunter got a rag-horn 2 days later.View attachment 117696
Nice elk

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back