Yeti GOBOX Collection

Late Decision.....Idaho Moose

SagebrushSlayer

So today, on Easter, I was presented with a proposition to put in for Idaho Moose this year. I know it's down to the last week for putting in, but the wife's grandpa wants to put in for moose together. Here's the dilemma;

I will be getting back to the States after the hunt starts, but it is a long season, so I am not too worried. Scouting will be difficult and might encompass google earth, then boots on the ground during the rut.

The wife just finished hunters ed and is on a "get out this fall and fill the freezer" high. She plans on putting in for a cow elk permit and doe permit. If she scores one of these tags or both, which she plans too, I would just hunt general season for deer and elk.

I will be getting info over the next 48 hrs on the plans for the moose hunt for if we end up drawing. Also, would I still be able to apply for an "X" tag for deer?

Thanks for any input on this and any help with my questions. I know it would still depend on if I draw or not, but it would be fun to hunt with grandpa before he gets too much older.

I would be the wrong guy to give any advice, so I will just shut up. Twelve attempts and no tags for me. Last year, two non-resident apps for the unit, and one NR moose tag between us. I was not the one NR who got the tag.

Good luck wherever you apply. Hope arrive home safely and have the best hunting season of your life.

My Wyoming buddy put in for the one nonresident tag they were issuing for a Shiras bull in 2007 just sw of Pocatello (can't remember what the unit number was) and drew the tag on his first try for a tag in Idaho! We did a lot of Internet chat and talked with a few people on the phone that had been in the unit before and got some good advice. You can do the same if you get drawn and have a good OYOA. It just takes the determination to do the legwork necessary to have a good hunt. We found several nice bulls our second and third days out there and John and I got within 50 yards of one with his bow, but it was just too thick to get a shot with him at our same level. We found him again the middle of the next morning and John shot him with his 7 mag since it was an any weapon hunt and we didn't have a lot of days left on ther hunt due to other hunts we had going on back in Wyoming. The bull ended up taping at a hair over 38" and had 7 matching points and decent palms, so he was a nice, representative for the species and made a beautiful mount.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pictures of that 2007 Idaho bull. John's Dad also went with us and is in the second photo with me. He hung back as we slipped in on the bull and captured the whole thing on film. I had never really given much thought about hunting moose, but that hunt changed my mind in a hurry. I hope to go with John again in the next few years when he draws a tag in Wyoming with all the PPs he has accumulated. We may even do that hunt on horseback if the unit he wants to hunt in stays up in numbers and quality because now that John has that Idaho bull under his belt he wants one at least 45" or wider.

Attachments

• 47b7ce24b3127cce98548b74c0ef00000027100EYuWrFw1bMV.jpg
    47b7ce24b3127cce98548b74c0ef00000027100EYuWrFw1bMV.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 843
  • 47b7ce24b3127cce98548b7cc0e700000027100EYuWrFw1bMV.jpg
    47b7ce24b3127cce98548b7cc0e700000027100EYuWrFw1bMV.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Good looking bull!! Here's one BOY shot last year in ID.
Picture_153.jpg

I have a hankering to hunt those someday. Looks like an efficient way to fill the freezer... :D

Now that's one big Mother and I think is about what John will be after in Wyoming when he draws that tag, LOL!!! What was the spread on that rascal?

Sage, I don't think you can put in for other hunts in ID if you put in for the big three. you can still get an otc tag for your deer and elk, but in my opinion, it would be worth it to spend the time with the family to put in for a moose hunt. Thanks for your service, and you're welcome in a duck blind in the boise area when you get back.

Thanks for the info. Nice pics too!! Definitely motivating to see some awesome trophies taken.

I have talked with the better half and she agrees that I should take the opportunity to put in for moose with her grandpa. Plus, she said now that she has hunters ed out of the way, she will put in for elk and deer permits, so she can fill the freezer. I sent him off an email and will be applying for moose this week.

Thanks for all the support and I look foward to sharing my hunting season with the rest of the Hunt Talkers when I get home. May the luck of the draws fall on everybody that still has apps out.

Choc- Thanks for info, I probably will just pick up my OTC tags and hope for the best in drawing a moose tag. I would love to shoot some ducks come this winter. :)

131.jpg

Sage, I drew a tag and took this bull in '08 with a handgun in Idaho.
I'll be glad to help you any way I can.

Be thankful that your woman wants to be out there with you!

Jeff

Nice bull Jeff! I will PM you about info. Thanks!

I am excited my wife took my oldest(her step daughter) through Hunters Ed this year and she is pretty excited to go hunting. I didn't necessarily take her the easy route in introducing her to hunting either. I had her walking through 2+ ft of snow looking for elk her first time out with me. Then she was 6 months prego with our first a couple years ago and helped me pack a doe out over 2 miles! I am a very lucky man. Getting her interested in hunting took me shooting an elk in 09. Once she ate some for the first time she was hooked! :)

Decision is made! Put in for the moose hunt yesterday. Wished G-Pa would have done a dual app, seems I have more luck in drawing when putting in with family/friends. Now I just have to wait until late May. Good luck to everyone who put in! :)

Good luck in the draws!!I hope you get pulled so I can hear about the hunt.I may enter for moose there in the next few years

Yes, good luck SS. Four of us put in dual, so will see. Tomorrow is the last day to put in so next week will feel more comfortable about talking about which area we chose and why. Did you happen to check out the research reports for the area you put in for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back