Last day for NM app

For elk I decided to take my longshot outside the Gila in a unit with higher harvest success, and ditched my “safe bet” that once had 75%-100% draw odds but plummeted to 20% after being listed on a certain site for a few years(but I’m glad I subscribed because I would have applied there) , and switched to some places with lower success rates, more public land, more roadless area, and much rougher terrain.

For deer I chickened out and changed my planned second choice, to a harder to draw unit that I have hunted before. My first kid is due June 28th, and I decided that I was better off hunting closer to home in a place I was familiar with that had very high success rates than hunting the other side of the state, in a place with low success rates. It was going to be an adventure, but getting back to the family a day or two earlier and a lot less exhausted is worth something. If I don’t draw the elk I’m going to Idaho, so that’s enough travel and adventure for this particular year. 3rd choice is almost a lock to draw. It’s a tough unit, but I’ve been there and have a plan. Could be a one hour hunt.

For pronghorn I tried to pick three overlooked hunts. It’s a crap shoot this year. Practically no way to know how the odds will shake out.

For javelina I skipped because I intend to hunt them in AZ and take the hunter’s safety course. Actually the seasons overlap, so it’s possible that I’ll apply before five and try to shoot one on either side of the border.

For sheep I can’t afford the expense this year. I threw in for a point in a couple states, but if I drew a sheep, and an elk or deer I’d be in too deep for this season. Why give them $13 if I need the refund instead of the tag? The nice thing is, I don’t have to buy a point to hold my place in line!

Last edited:
Heads up the Javelina rule change. If you are hunting deer and elk in a unit that your javelina tag is also good for, you can kill a javelina with your deer/elk weapon even if it is not in the same time period as your javelina tag. That means I can get a stinkpig ion my November deer hunt and that would have come in handy last year - Cool! This applies to the OTC tag, too.

First time applying in NM. It’ll really mess up my plans if I actually draw.

Then why apply? There are no points to gain or lose. Now I put in for some things in Utah knowing that if drew then it would mean that my NM mule deer(if I draw) would most likely just be a wasted tag and fee, but it would be WELL WORTH IT. However, if actually drawing in NM means it is going to ruin my plans, I’d stay out.

Heads up the Javelina rule change. If you are hunting deer and elk in a unit that your javelina tag is also good for, you can kill a javelina with your deer/elk weapon even if it is not in the same time period as your javelina tag. That means I can get a stinkpig ion my November deer hunt and that would have come in handy last year - Cool! This applies to the OTC tag, too.

Yep, will be picking one up OTC if I draw the right unit for elk or pronghorn.

Good luck everybody. Took some deep cuts this year, got very lucky the last couple years with a 16E rifle elk tag in 2017 and my OIL Oryx tag in 2018. But then again with New Mexico's system past performance has no bearing on this years draw, still got as good a chance as anybody on all of them I fired.

Skipped Barbs and No Javis, fired the torpedos on all the rest, a lot of new hunts with 1 NR tag.

Here's hoping they drop the reds early!

NM put on the full court press on getting people to apply. On FB alone there are several department videos encouraging applications. Bet odds are the worst they have ever been even with the increased cost. Good thing I am going to get a low low low random number.

NM put on the full court press on getting people to apply. On FB alone there are several department videos encouraging applications. Bet odds are the worst they have ever been even with the increased cost. Good thing I am going to get a low low low random number.

Did you mean to say the best odds there have been?

Did you mean to say the best odds there have been?
Nope, when I started applying a few years ago there was very little advertisement for NM, now it’s is on all the major social media forums. That brings in a whole new pool to the applications. My guess is that with the increased tags this year there is also more applications than there ever has been. This driving down the odds of one being successful.

Nope, when I started applying a few years ago there was very little advertisement for NM, now it’s is on all the major social media forums. That brings in a whole new pool to the applications. My guess is that with the increased tags this year there is also more applications than there ever has been. This driving down the odds of one being successful.

Really hope you're wrong but I fear you're not. Don't think the non refundable scared to many away time will tell. The antelope draw could be interesting.

Back