Land Ownership Overlap in Wyoming?

MaxPower

I'm looking at a unit in Wyoming where I drew a tag, and in the unit I see Nat'l Forest overlapping other land ownership. I can see private, state, and BLM land boundaries and changes but all are covered in some areas by nat'l forest.

Can anyone explain why this is, and if hunters have access to hunt on land that's marked one thing but with nat'l forest overlap?

Thanks!

I'm looking at a unit in Wyoming where I drew a tag, and in the unit I see Nat'l Forest overlapping other land ownership. I can see private, state, and BLM land boundaries and changes but all are covered in some areas by nat'l forest.

Can anyone explain why this is, and if hunters have access to hunt on land that's marked one thing but with nat'l forest overlap?

Thanks!
It’s normal to have private land parcels inside a national forest boundary. Private inholdings could be mining claims, homesteads, etc. No, you can’t hunt private without permission. I believe you can hunt the state land in WY, but this varies by state.

What do you mean by ‘overlapping’. Just that there are private (white) parcels on your map surrounded by USFS (green) parcels?

What do you mean by ‘overlapping’. Just that there are private (white) parcels on your map surrounded by USFS (green) parcels?

Just that, overlapping. Seems weird, but I can see where there are regular parcels of state, private etc but they're covered up by a huge contiguous portion of national forest.

I'll tell you where I'm looking. Using the Wyoming Game and Fish hunt planner, use the map to look at antelope units. In the very south east corner you can see parcels or state, blm, private etc but there a portion of them covered by a the Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest.

Like Pelican said, it is not an overlap, it is an inholding. These are imaginary numbers, but let's say MB Nat'l Forest is 2 million acres. Well, 1.85 of that might be straight NF land, and the remaining 0.15 is other types of land within the NF. NF and NG lands are large blocks, containing a patchwork of private and other jurisdictions within them. The inholdings are subject to NF rules and regulations, but might have additional restrictions depending on what kind of inholding it is. Example: private property is not open to access by the public. This can be seen in the pic below in which everything in the green area is NF, but other color areas within it are also other types of land.

Check out RMNP in Colorado there are a bunch of private inholdings in the park... talk about the best 4 acres of elk hunting in the United States.

Sounds like you're pronghorn hunting in my backyard. The pronghorn huntings generally not great around here on public, but if you have any questions about spots, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back