Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

KY Elk draw was yesterday

"I’m hearing that a 5 year old was drawn for a rifle Bull tag. Not sure how I feel about that."

How is that possible? Don't you have to prove age when entering?

"I’m hearing that a 5 year old was drawn for a rifle Bull tag. Not sure how I feel about that."

How is that possible? Don't you have to prove age when entering?
No. There are youth tags available as well. No age limits in KY on hunting.

No. There are youth tags available as well. No age limits in KY on hunting.
Interesting, I did not know that. I have three kids and I wouldn't have even thought about taking them big game hunting before 10 years of age.

As a Kentucky resident and fellow applicant, I believe it is easier to get drawn for a better unit out west than a KY tag.

You're probably correct, but for a few bucks it is just too easy you can't pass up the opportunity to throw your name in the hat. I usually provide a donation and if I ever get a surprise I'll change my schedule.

Interesting, I did not know that. I have three kids and I wouldn't have even thought about taking them big game hunting before 10 years of age.
not to hijack this thread but.....oh man you should!!
I have 2 girls who were both hunting deer and bear both on their own before age 10 (successfully)
I started them out early with small game and when I felt they were sufficiently competent enough they were put on a stand by themselves or in a blind somewhere told to sit still and enjoy. Both are more safety conscious than many people I know who have been doing it for substantially longer.
Over the years it has been something that we share together and now that they are both mid to late teens we still share and enjoy.
This is just my opinion and its not worth jack $hitt but...... If we had more kids out in the woods and on the water at a earlier age and off of those damn phones and video games we would be much better off. Parents these days coddle their kids too damn much. A little discomfort and a little cold air amongst the natural world in all its good and bad does nothing but fuel that little flame inside we all have that needs constant tending. hell Im sorry, I almost hopped up on the soapbox.
in the words of CS Lewis... "We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful"

collage.jpg

Kids killing stuff is the best!!! I’d much rather see pics of kids killing game than the adults any day. Congrats dads!!!

I’m one of those rarities that has put in every single year since the beginning (KY resident up til 2016, non-resident after) and never been drawn.

Based on my points in others states I have better odds of being drawn for Maine Moose or Wyoming Mule Deer than I do home state elk

I have put in a few times for the bull tag only. I thought an Idaho guy putting in for elk in Kentucky? The world seems really upside down anymore ha ha. Good luck on the cow

Back