NEW SITKA Ambient 75

KUIU Gear

Why pay for over priced camo clothing?

Just research and build your system around merino layers, a good mid weight that's wind proof an outer shell that's water proof and a down jacket for the cold days to go under that outer shell.

Pants are very hard to get right, but hiking brands often have gear developed over much testing as opposed to fancy camo companies with great marketing.

I don't wear any camo nowadays and buying smart I can always get into gear that is a lot less then outlaying for the premium brands offered to hunters.

I haven't found Mountain Hardware or Marmot(lesser quality) to be much- if at all- cheaper than Kuiu, and Arc'teryx(same/better quality) is more.
What brands have you found that compete with Kuiu quality that's less money?
I just bought some Icebreaker Merino. Wanted Kuiu, but didn't want it in camo, and FL was sold out of solids. At $60 it wasn't any cheaper of a shirt.

If you don't need camo, but still want KUIU type gear the ski company TREW uses the same products from Toray that KUIU does. I've seen them run some solid sales on much of their nuyarn base layers and soft shells.

https://trewgear.com/

Good looking stuff and I like the prices on some of it.

Are they somehow associated with Kuiu? Trew has the Mountain Star 2P tent on their website.

Good looking stuff and I like the prices on some of it.

Are they somehow associated with Kuiu? Trew has the Mountain Star 2P tent on their website.

They're both get their stuff made by Toray, they are essentially the same company serving different markets. I got a catalog from Trew once and it was the exact same as Kuiu's. Same size, same sleeve with the notch, same pitch about transparancy.

Last edited:
Now that's some funny stuff there! :rolleyes:

What makes his statement so funny? You can't argue that they are more expensive than their competitors. Sitka has jackets for up to $600 whereas KUIU doesn't exceed $350. Their pants range from $90-$300. Which is still cheaper than most of their competitors. I'm not saying that their stuff is cheap by any means but if you put a middle man in there it would definitely be more expensive.

What makes his statement so funny? You can't argue that they are more expensive than their competitors. Sitka has jackets for up to $600 whereas KUIU doesn't exceed $350. Their pants range from $90-$300. Which is still cheaper than most of their competitors. I'm not saying that their stuff is cheap by any means but if you put a middle man in there it would definitely be more expensive.

compare apples to apples...not the top range jacket of each company. the kuiu attack pant runs $129 and the sitka ascent runs $149. there is no way that kuiu isn't pocketing a large percentage of what would be the retail markup. They may keep their prices a few bucks below sitka or FL, but not the screaming direct to consumer deal they brag about.

compare apples to apples...not the top range jacket of each company. the kuiu attack pant runs $129 and the sitka ascent runs $149. there is no way that kuiu isn't pocketing a large percentage of what would be the retail markup. They may keep their prices a few bucks below sitka or FL, but not the screaming direct to consumer deal they brag about.

Makes sense. I definitely agree that they are pocketing a large amount themselves rather than including a retailer.

Makes sense. I definitely agree that they are pocketing a large amount themselves rather than including a retailer.

If they found a way to make more money while selling a product that is comparable in quality for a lesser price and make more money... it means they had a great business idea and made it profitable. That is exactly what this country is built upon. I applaud it, not begrudge them for it.

My wife mainly buys FL and Sitka because they offer small sizes in certain pieces, but I prefer KUIU for pretty much everything except FL's merino tops. I do need to try on some of the new 2016 products though from Sitka and FL because I've heard great things about them.

EDIT: I'm not saying you were speaking negatively of their business plan, I'm just speaking generally.

I think more than anything the Kuiu Teton series shows that they are definitely cheaper for the quality of clothes they are producing with technical pants under $100 and jackets around $120. I'd say in general Kuiu is 75% the same cost of a similar KUIU piece for the same quality.

The concept of "its cheaper because its direct" was lost on me for a while and I've had pieces of their gear for 2 years now. Retail mark up is around double the wholesale price, but selling direct also means they have more staff dedicated to sales, shipping and inventory. I have no doubt Kuiu is pocketing more, but Jason has said plenty about now being able to make the clothes he wanted to before because they wouldn't sell at retail because of extreme cost.

Now that's some funny stuff there! :rolleyes:

I just got my attack pants and jacket in mail today. The pants move amazingly well.....I got both the jacket and pants for a total of $189. That's way cheaper then sitka and first lite, which are both quality brand. I own a lot of first lite gear but their merino pants tear easily.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back