Kuiu Attack or Firstlite Obsidian for Sept/Oct Elk

tpbesone

Looking to upgrade my pants for a late September/October elk hunt in WY this fall. Going back and forth between the Kuiu Attack and Firstlite Obsidian pants. Would appreciate input from those who have used either or both for elk hunting. Hunt from a base camp typically putting on 5-10 miles per day. Some backpack hunting depending on where we find animals.

I'm a little concerned about the durability of the Obsidian pants based on reviews but the temperature range with the Merino Obsidian pants seems nice as well.

If those are your only two options and you spend a bunch of time in brush, the attack is what you want.

If you want another option, Prana Stretch Zion.

I have stretch zions and attacks.... love kuiu stuff but they only come in one length and I have to have them hemmed. You can’t go wrong with either. Also, the first lite corrugate guide pants are pretty sweet as well!

I’m rough on pants & have no complaints with Obsidians. Like the fit, looks, and features.

The FirstLite corrugate pants are really tough, stretchy, breath very well, and are cheaper. I would take those over the obsidian while hiking in the mountains. The obsidian pants are nice too but are a little more fragile.

+1 for the Prana. I love mine...they dry out fast and have held up really well so far.

Prana. The Corrugates are OK too, but mine are pilling after hard use.

I bought a pair of obsidians for an early september WY archery hunt this year, but don't have any experience yet to share. I can't imagine the terrain I'll be in will lead to any durability issues, but we'll see.

Hip vents on the kuiu's made the decision pretty easy for me. Due to the excessive amount of pants options out there and various opinions (kuiu alone has 4 options that would probably fit the bill), you'll just have to make the decision yourself because they're all good quality. If you end up not liking them, the resale value on most of this high end gear is really good if the item isn't trashed. If you go with attacks, size up if you have much for glutes/thighs. They're cut pretty "athletic" in that region.

I have all 3 Prana, Attacks, and Corrugate Guides, but havent tried the Obsidians. I'm always wearing the Attacks

Same here, I bought mine late last summer, wore them 2 weeks in archery, 6 days in rifle elk, 2 days rifle deer and quite a bit so far this summer and they are pilling pretty bad in lower legs and crotch area. Still great pants and they have been worn hard, probably have close to 200 miles in them.

The hip vents on Kuiu are amazing. I find the attacks run warm in early season but with the vents use them from spring turkey on.

I guess this the cure, people on the First Lite Page on FB were raving about it.

Attachments

• 72066EB6-4F8B-48AD-837C-DED74CB273AB.png
    72066EB6-4F8B-48AD-837C-DED74CB273AB.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
I'll add.... since owning several kuiu pants with the vents I really struggle buying any pants that don't have zippered vents.

I have the attack, obsidian and corrugate guide. Really like all three and wear each regularly. It's a close one, but if I had to choose just one, I'd probably say the attack wins.

I'd give those new brush pants by First Lite. They are new this year, I believe.

I'd wear the Attacks if it's cool/cold out, and Obsidians if it's warm/cool. I like both my Attacks and my Obsidians, but I keep tearing holes in the Obsidians, picking them up again tomorrow from the tailor actually...

Thanks for the input everyone. Seems like can't really go wrong either way. I went with the Obsidians. I'll keep Kuiu and Prana in mind in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back