Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pants For Kodiak

Ryan91027

Im going to kodiak early november for a deer hunt and want some input on pant selection. Ive been thinking Kuiu attack or pro pants with medium or heavy unders. Temps should be between 35-45 and it is wet and windy. Alders are thick so durability is important. Im also going to get a pair of rain pants, so they dont need to be completely waterproof. Im only going to bring one pair of hunting/outdoors pants, so I want them to be a good pair.

Wool. Hunted Kodiak,Peninsula,and Alaska Range.Wool all three times.Guides all wore wool.

I did good with my Kuiu attack pants with a light merino wool under pant. I would make sure and have some good rain tops and bottoms. Everything is wet there.

Pro pants or maybe the guide pants.

Roll up your pant leg to the top of your boot, then put on your gaiter, then rain pants on top. This will keep water from wicking up your pant leg.

Based off the replies, im now leaning towards pro or guide (still want to look into each more) and light or medium merino unders. I run hot and my legs dont really get cold, so if i needed to, id take off unders aswell

I went in late october a few years ago and wore the outdoor research cirque II pants with wool underwear if it was cold enough which usually the cirques alone were fine. The are tough pants, b,ok the wind are quite waterproof Id do that again

I went in late october a few years ago and wore the outdoor research cirque II pants with wool underwear if it was cold enough which usually the cirques alone were fine. The are tough pants, b,ok the wind are quite waterproof Id do that again
Any issues to look for with those pants? From a quick glance at the website they look good.

Not Kodiak but the West Coast of NZ, often referred to as the Wet Coast.
In winter at the top of the alps I started day one with wool pants and shirt and I was roasting.
Then I had to do a retrieve that I knew would take all day and involve a river crossing and crashing through tall wet bushes. So I left the wool behind and just wore underwear with GORE-TEX rain pants and gaiters.
I will be taking the same to Kodiak in October.

Any issues to look for with those pants? From a quick glance at the website they look good.
Kodiak island is thorny hell and my pants held up very well. Plus I’m pretty sure outdoor research has a lifetime warranty. The one issue some hunters may have is that there aren’t many pockets and the ones they have are somewhat small. I don’t like putting much in my pants when hunting so it didn’t matter to me but may to others. I feel like when I’m hiking a lot especially up hills like on Kodiak, having items in the pant legs fatigues me more than if they were in my pack where things arent moving as much as your legs do.

Kodiak island is thorny hell and my pants held up very well. Plus I’m pretty sure outdoor research has a lifetime warranty. The one issue some hunters may have is that there aren’t many pockets and the ones they have are somewhat small. I don’t like putting much in my pants when hunting so it didn’t matter to me but may to others. I feel like when I’m hiking a lot especially up hills like on Kodiak, having items in the pant legs fatigues me more than if they were in my pack where things arent moving as much as your legs do.
Did you bring rain pants too? Or were those pants enough. Any problems with overheating, i still like the hip vents on the kuiu in case i start to sweat.
Also, how to they run sizing wise? I find that most website size guides are innacurate for me.

I did bring rain pants but only wore them one day when it was really coming down. I did a boat based transporter hunt so was able to dry out in evenings FWIW. And the sizing was accurate to me; I bought a pair of mediums which fit me well. I’m 5’9 and 160. I got a good deal and had a gift card to optics planet so that’s how I got them. But I was so impressed with outdoor research clothes that I have since bought I a jacket, gaiters and lighter pants from them too.

Did you bring rain pants too? Or were those pants enough. Any problems with overheating, i still like the hip vents on the kuiu in case i start to sweat.
Also, how to they run sizing wise? I find that most website size guides are innacurate for me.
I run KUIU exclusively. 5'9, 165# and normally wear a 33/30 blue jeans without belt. My KUIU pants are 34/S and i do need a belt to snug them up. Basically, the pants are standard blue jean fit. (think Levi 501's).

I hunted Kodiak in 2016 over Thanksgiving. I took only Sitka coldfront pants with light merino baselayer. No complaints.

I did bring rain pants but only wore them one day when it was really coming down. I did a boat based transporter hunt so was able to dry out in evenings FWIW. And the sizing was accurate to me; I bought a pair of mediums which fit me well. I’m 5’9 and 160. I got a good deal and had a gift card to optics planet so that’s how I got them. But I was so impressed with outdoor research clothes that I have since bought I a jacket, gaiters and lighter pants from them too.
Thanks for all the replies, I have decided on the cirque II pants. Just two more questions: What gaiters would you recommend with those pants, and how heavy unders did you use?

I've hunted Kodiak four times and will be headed up there again next year. The last three trips have been the end of October/first week of November. We always fly in and camp in different locations on the island. I bring a pair of First Lite Kanab merino wool pants to wear around camp along with Crocs, but when hunting, I wear First Lite merino wool 250 weight tops and bottoms covered by Kuiu Yukon rain pant and jacket. I do have a puffy jacket in my pack which I'll put on under my Kuiu Yukon jacket if I'm going to sit and glass for long periods. Even on the nice days, everything is still wet from the normal rainy days. I use Kuiu gaiters and wear Kennetrek Mountain Extreme leather boots (that I seam seal three times) with 400 grams Thinsulate. This combination has kept me warm and dry for all my trips. The wind blows a lot on Kodiak and I find that even on the nice days, I prefer wearing my rain gear to cut the wind, which helps me stay warm.

I have a pair of Outdoor Research gloves that I really like, I think they're called Arete. They were around $95 and keep my hands warm and dry when hunting in the rain. They also allow dexterity and I can safely work the safety and trigger on my rifle with them on.

Good luck on your hunt this fall and let us all know how you do.

I've hunted Kodiak four times and will be headed up there again next year. The last three trips have been the end of October/first week of November. We always fly in and camp in different locations on the island. I bring a pair of First Lite Kanab merino wool pants to wear around camp along with Crocs, but when hunting, I wear First Lite merino wool 250 weight tops and bottoms covered by Kuiu Yukon rain pant and jacket. I do have a puffy jacket in my pack which I'll put on under my Kuiu Yukon jacket if I'm going to sit and glass for long periods. Even on the nice days, everything is still wet from the normal rainy days. I use Kuiu gaiters and wear Kennetrek Mountain Extreme leather boots (that I seam seal three times) with 400 grams Thinsulate. This combination has kept me warm and dry for all my trips. The wind blows a lot on Kodiak and I find that even on the nice days, I prefer wearing my rain gear to cut the wind, which helps me stay warm.

I have a pair of Outdoor Research gloves that I really like, I think they're called Arete. They were around $95 and keep my hands warm and dry when hunting in the rain. They also allow dexterity and I can safely work the safety and trigger on my rifle with them on.

Good luck on your hunt this fall and let us all know how you do.
Im going first week of November. I have a 250g black ovis merino top with an older but usable fleece jacket and a soft shell outer jacket. Ill also be able to go back to a lodge each night to dry off everything. All I need to complete my clothing for the hunt is gaiters, rain gear, and long jons.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back