KUIU and Peay/SFW

Give the guy a chance to see the light before throwing him to the wolves. Comment on his site, be specific and share examples that you've seen where SWF/BGF have attempted to undermine the North American Model and/or hunter opportunity.

I'll be leaving a comment tomorrow morning.

Peay inserts himself into GOP politics because he has the funding & machine to generate more cash for candidates. He was tight with Romney, so it stands to reason he'd latch on to the frontrunner like a leach to a bare leg.

A lot of folk probably never noticed, and I won't go into great detail, but one of Kuiu's main guys has written into some magazines about his PL/DIY monster bulls, and in one of them put our fearless leader on blast in the article accusing him of ruining one of his public land honey holes, by putting it on TV. There is more to the story, but Randy can share it if he wants. Either way, when I read it I felt compelled to share what I found with B.F., and we both got a pretty big chuckle at the guy's expense.

I guess it is why I would rather support a crew like Sitka, if I am going to spend some of my money on expensive hunting clothes. If you ever have any questions, just look at a company's supporter page, most have them. Sitka's is pretty standup, IMO. http://www.sitkagear.com/stewardship

Give the guy a chance to see the light before throwing him to the wolves.

True enough, Ben.

I wrote similar comments to the guys at Western Hunter/Elk Hunter a few years back, and got a really nice personal response from three of the main guys. I should do a little digging and see where they stand now with SFW/BGF.

Give the guy a chance to see the light before throwing him to the wolves.
Good advice, Ben. Like it or not, he is a force in the outdoor and hunting gear industry. It would be wise to inform him and ensure that he has facts and good information ... as well as the grounded, solid, logical, only right for hunting and wildllife HuntTalk perspective.

From Jason Hairston,
All I know from my research on Don’s work is and the Utah’s DWR efforts, Utahs herds of Elk, Mule Deer and Bison, Big Horn Sheep, Moose and Mountain Goats have increased 200% to 500% depending on species over the past 20 years. There used to be about 1000 limited entry and once in a lifetime tags, today there are more than 5000 and the F & G said the Utah General Season deer hunt in 2015 was the best in 20 years. How is this taking away opportunity. The driving force for these increases is the money from the Tags and Expo and all the matching state and federal funds that come because the Expo allows Utah elected official to see just how big the hunting economy is. The Hunt Expo is an amazing show and is a joined effort of SFW and the Mule Deer Foundation. I have participated in the Expo for the past decade and it has benefited both of the brands I have created by connecting them to the hunters who attend. A Win Win from my perspective.

I have asked Jason for the source of his big game statistics in Utah. Maybe some specific sheep or mountain goat populations have grown by "200-500%," but most big game species in Utah have not seen population growth anywhere near the levels suggested. Also, Jason clearly has no clue about the decline of mule deer hunting opportunity in Utah over the past 20-25 years.

I like KUIU, but I believe Jason's blog post is a terrible example of brand management.

Just from the short little blogs that are on this thread I think he should shut his yapper and stick to clothing because everything I've read that he's stated is 180 degrees from being factual!

Here's my comment awaiting moderation:

Hello Jason,

First, thanks for your support of keeping public lands in public hands. We need all the help we can get against politicians who want to steal one of America’s greatest treasures – our ability to roam freely, hunt, fish and hike on America’s public lands. Second, thanks for getting involved in politics. It’s a thankless task as you can see but it is important that hunters engage in the political process beyond simply supporting the NRA or other groups. Thoughtful, reasoned debate is in short supply in this country and we need more ambassadors to our sport who can thread the PR needle than ever.

I have been a full-time advocate for public land, hunting, fishing, access and wildlife management since 2002, working in Wyoming, Montana and on federal issues in Washington D.C.I’d be happy to connect off line if you want some deeper insight into what’s actually going on in politics beyond the transfer and sale of public land.

On Trump, I can’t say one way or another what he would do because, honestly, he’s blowing dog whistles designed to get the most votes. Campaign promises are usually cast to side once someone gets elected. I’m hopeful that’s not the case with Mr. Trump, but I do worry about the company he’s keeping in Don Peay.

Mr. Peay & Mr. Benson have long been a boil on the butt of western wildlife and politics. The wolf is the highest profile issue, and I’d point to this press release by the NRA, SCI, RMEF & many other groups in 2011 when the wolf issue was hot and heavy: http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_e8040da9-af35-54c3-8cc6-44cedc466bfd.html

I worked on the Simpson/Tester delisting rider along with just about every sportsman in Idaho & Montana. SFW/BGF were no friends to us when it came time to getting the work done. They, in fact, tried to kill the delisting rider when they didn’t get everything they wanted. They originally wanted to exclude wolves from ever being considered for listing under the ESA – which sounds good until you realize it would never pass under the cloture rule. One senator could have killed it. It also would have set a horrible precedent in terms of Congress politically managing wildlife rather than science and wildlife agencies. Something I hope we all can agree would be bad for critters we chase and critters we don’t.

Furthermore, we’ve fought off SFW & BGF when it comes to elk management in Montana. They supported a bill that would have forced testing & slaughtering of some of our most vulnerable elk herds, even the Northern Yellowstone Herd which is just now starting to make a comeback. They also never showed up when access fights were hot and heavy and they have backed politicians who actively support the transfer and sale of public lands in Montana.

In Wyoming, they killed a license fee increase which led to less access funding through the Wyoming Game & Fish’s Access Yes program. That budget cut also has hurt warden retention, overall health of the agency and even fish stocking programs. As someone who worked on the wolf issue for over a decade, I can honestly say that they are one of the main reasons why Wyoming doesn’t have control over their recovered wolf population today.

In Alaska, their hand-picked head of the Alaska Game & Fish had to retire in disgrace once it became public that he was not much higher up the rung than a common poacher: http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/amid-scandal-alaskas-wildlife-conservation-director-quits

I could go on, but would rather do that privately than air a bunch of other dirty laundry about how they have tried to purchase influence with legislators who attack public lands and the scientific management of wildlife.

Thanks for all you do, please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’d like to talk more.

- See more at: http://blog.kuiu.com/2016/01/27/trump-industry-leadership-meeting/#comment-93628

A lot of folk probably never noticed, and I won't go into great detail, but one of Kuiu's main guys has written into some magazines about his PL/DIY monster bulls, and in one of them put our fearless leader on blast in the article accusing him of ruining one of his public land honey holes, by putting it on TV. There is more to the story, but Randy can share it if he wants. Either way, when I read it I felt compelled to share what I found with B.F., and we both got a pretty big chuckle at the guy's expense.

Was that the Brendan Burns article in Wester/Extreme/Elk Hunter about a year back? I had wondered if he was referring to Fin or not.

Was that the Brendan Burns article in Wester/Extreme/Elk Hunter about a year back? I had wondered if he was referring to Fin or not.

Exact article that came to my mind, I'm sure I still have that issue laying around somewhere.

If he was not referring to me, I'm not sure who else he could have been referring to; a TV host who flies a helicopter into a hunting unit in central Montana. Pretty small group to pick from; a group of one.

Here's the gig. Funny as hell.

He and another guy from Bozeman had access to hunt a huge ranch now owned by the Wilkes Brothers. It is amazing elk hunting. Good for them to have found a way to access it. When the Wilkes Brothers bought that ranch, they cancelled all hunting that was previously arranged. I had a connection to the guy who was managing that ranch under the old ownership, so I was aware of the arrangement that was being provided to the writer in question and his contractor buddy.

I've only talked to the guy maybe three times in my life and those were, "Hello, how's it going" discussions. One time, I shot a big antelope buck in Eastern Montana that his buddy had missed and they came over to look at it. Other than that, he and I haven't shared five sentences in our lives, but he sure knows a lot about me. The hunting world is so small, all that he claims to know about me gets back to me within an hour or two. Some crazy stuff, that leaves me scratching my head, then laughing my arse off.

So, when Ross showed me the article and the author, I got a good laugh. I laughed even harder when he wrote that I screwed up his public hunting spot, when to the best of my knowledge, he had exclusive access to superb private land elk hunting adjacent to the public I hunt, and where as a result of an ownership change, he may have lost what was insider access to this amazing elk property. He shot some huge bulls, and good for him. A hunter would be a fool to not have taken advantage of that access option. A year and a half later, guys still bring it up to me and ask if it was me he was referring to. I just laugh and tell them I suspect it was.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a public land hunter like me can ruin the hunting on a piece of private land.

I don't remember the helicopter reference, that would have been very clear. I thought it mentioned "an outdoor TV host showing one too many identifiable mountain back drops". Either way, it struck me as a very butt hurt moment and a poor reflection on his character.

His public land elk spot my ass. I don't ever remember the Pronghorn Ranch being public land.

If he was not referring to me, I'm not sure who else he could have been referring to; a TV host who flies a helicopter into a hunting unit in central Montana. Pretty small group to pick from; a group of one.

Here's the gig. Funny as hell.

He and another guy from Bozeman had access to hunt a huge ranch now owned by the Wilkes Brothers. It is amazing elk hunting. Good for them to have found a way to access it. When the Wilkes Brothers bought that ranch, they cancelled all hunting that was previously arranged. I had a connection to the guy who was managing that ranch under the old ownership, so I was aware of the arrangement that was being provided to the writer in question and his contractor buddy.

I've only talked to the guy maybe three times in my life and those were, "Hello, how's it going" discussions. One time, I shot a big antelope buck in Eastern Montana that his buddy had missed and they came over to look at it. Other than that, he and I haven't shared five sentences in our lives, but he sure knows a lot about me. The hunting world is so small, all that he claims to know about me gets back to me within an hour or two. Some crazy stuff, that leaves me scratching my head, then laughing my arse off.

So, when Ross showed me the article and the author, I got a good laugh. I laughed even harder when he wrote that I screwed up his public hunting spot, when to the best of my knowledge, he had exclusive access to superb private land elk hunting adjacent to the public I hunt, and where as a result of an ownership change, he may have lost what was insider access to this amazing elk property. He shot some huge bulls, and good for him. A hunter would be a fool to not have taken advantage of that access option. A year and a half later, guys still bring it up to me and ask if it was me he was referring to. I just laugh and tell them I suspect it was.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a public land hunter like me can ruin the hunting on a piece of private land.

Fin, from flying all around him in your helicopter. Were you strafing him? ;)

Visited the Kuiu blog to try and get a read on Jason Hairston and his place as a sportsman advocate. It appears he is well intentioned but completely uninformed. He also seems to have surrounded himself with many folks in the hunting community who could not be more disconnected from the common sportsman.

I do not own a single Kuiu item and will likely never will if the company remains aligned with buffoons.

I do think its funny he ask for people to educate him then states the SFW is not relevant to that thread. So does he want info or just to name drop Peay?

Didn't take long to start deflecting the SFW banter once some facts started showing up.

It also didn't take long for him to post a new blog to get his Trump story out of the lead position.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2016/01/28/last-men-out-of-hell-roaring/#sthash.bMtiHWEL.dpbs

I find it ironic that the newest blog is a video story about he and Mr. Burns being the last hunters in an area in the NWT that was recently purchased by their Federal Government.

Said purchase resulted in a net loss of almost 10,000 square miles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back