Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

kodiak mountain goat north road system

Dub454

I was lucky enough to obtain a kodiak mountain goat tag for the north road system.
The hunting time is 1 Sept to 25 Oct. Any advice on walking in from the road or spotting from a boat or lastly flying in would be greatly appreciated. I am slowly trying to educate myself on the mountain ranges elevation.

Let me get this straight, you put in for a goat hunt in Alaska in a area you know nothing about?! Are you even a resident?

Kodiak Goat

Actually I have lived in AK over 20 years and have hunted and harvested Brooks Sheep, Caribou, Chugiach Moose as well as a few good size Kodiak Sitka Deer and Kodiak Brown Bears. I just have not had the opportunity to hunt Kodiak Mountain Goat using the north road system which I am restricted to. It is alway good to hear from fellow hunter regarding their experiences in their specific hunt area.

Thanks

Don't have any experience wtih the North, but we hunted the South side of the Island a while back and took two Goats on the first evening of the hunt. Spotted a group to target the night before, hiked the next morning carrying gear for a week and shot two just before dark. Had them back to base camp the next afternoon.

All on a special draw goat hunt in an area we knew nothing about, and two of the party weren't even residents. Oh the horror! Can't believe we didn't die in the process.

Good Luck on your hunt!

Well then Frenchy, you are a lucky individual that shouldn't mock the mountains in AK. I grew up in AK and had to go pack the body of more then one ill-prepared hunter off of a mountain, as volunteer S&R, that didn't know what they were doing. One of them came off the side of Pioneer Peak that my brother and I had just hauled a sheep out of the week before.

The resident question was in reference to needing a guide. Sounds like Dub454 has some experience in AK.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of dumb AK questions that show up on here hence the question.

In reference to Dub, you can walk from the road, a boat is the best, and you shouldn't need to fly unless you want to spot where the goats are the day before hunting.

Actually I am hoping to hear from others who have hunted the north road system on Kodiak. I am aware of the various transporters to full guide service. Having experienced Kodiak in the past I know how thick
lower brush and treeline can be. I have been reviewing topo's looking for an elevated valley for a base camp from which to bivy out from if needed. Spotting from a boat as well as being dropped off with a Super Cub has been considered. I definitely have not ruled out walking in from the road as well. Having only one chance at this is why I am hoping to hear stories regarding which mountain areas may be more or less problematic as well as productive vs nonproductive for Billies/Nannies

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back