know anything about arrowheads ?

DKO

this was this years trophy.......from what ive found out is that it's a "KIRK" dated 9,000-10,000 BP..it is made from "gem quality quartz" didnt know such a thing existed...anyway i found it along the cumberland river in tennessee and have been told that it was a cerimonial piece vs. being a something that wasd used !..... ive been told that it will bring between 10,000-12,000 at auction......im taking it to a curator at a local artifacts museum to verify what i have learned thus far..........anybody know anything or any help would be appreciated. thanks !

http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=105255&c=550&z=1"]
105255.JPG
[/url]

you right T-Bone.............its probably not an actual arrowhead.......i have a bad habit of calling them that !!!.........its by far the most perfect one ive ever found!...........i was actually picking up trash and thought it was a piece of white plastic until i bent down and saw the worked edge sticking out and scooped it thinking it was gonna be a small piece of one or just flint and when it filled my hand while cleaning it off in the water..........i freaked.......still makes me nervous to touch the thing ,after what im finding out about it! and after surviving this long with out a chip or crack id hate to accidentally break it!

Beautiful find! It does appear to be a ceremonial spearpoint...my guess would be from one of the cultures who built many of the mounds that are all over the Ohio, Tennessee, and Mississippi valleys.

As a small child, I lived in the delta and hill country of Mississippi which proliferated with mounds, the largest in the state being Duck Hill near Grenada. I enjoyed walking through the fields soon after plowing. You just never knew what might turn up! We (my older brother and I) had a bucket full of our findings which has sadly been lost due to the frequent moves.

A couple of years ago, while deer hunting here in NM, I found a beautiful little arrowhead about the size of my thumbnail that is made out of agate. It is perfectly shaped, mostly translucent white, with gray and blood-red streaks in it. My nephew and I figure it was from the Anasazi culture due to finding potsherds of that culture and the evidence of a cliff dwelling on the canyon wall directly above where I found the point. Evidently, the canyon wall had sluffed off dumping everything down to canyon bottom.

[ 02-20-2004, 20:05: Message edited by: RogueWarrior1957 ]

AWESOME :eek: :eek: We have found a buncha little ones in our garden, but none of them look as grand as that one. I"ll have to get soem pics of them and show everyone.
Quick Draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back