Yeti GOBOX Collection

History of Bowhunting unpackaged

Stay Sharp

I am a member of the board of directors of the Wisconsin Bowhunting Heritage Foundation Museum. Like many small, private museums, we operate with a small, volunteer, (uncompensated) board and like many small museums, we have too little space to display the history of bowhunting in WI and too few donations but our board does a great job of carrying out our mission within our means.

Here is a link to the museum.

!

One of our board members is Grant Whiffen of Milwaukee. Grant and his Brother Larry Whiffen Jr. are the sons of the late Larry Whiffen Sr. If you know anything about the history of Archery and bowhunting, the Whiffen name is a familiar one. Larry Sr. started Whiffen archery in 1937. Here is Larry's induction into the archery hall of fame.

Larry Whiffen Sr. was a promoter of archery and bowhunting. Here is a mention of Larry from the Archery Trade Association. Pay particular attention the last 4 lines of their citation as it will factor into the rest of what Im writing.

A6grwz0.jpg

As mentioned, earlier, Larry Whiffen Sr's son grant sits on our board at the Museum and is donating items from the life of His father, to the museum that he is authorizing the sale of, in an effort to help the museum raise funds.

I drove to Grants home in Milwaukee to talk and pick up the items he donated. In addition, another large box of items from the estate was delivered to me by the WBHF Museum president (Brian Tessmann). Then I began the task of cataloging the many items in preparation for the sale of these items.

The items Ive sorted through thus far include photos (and photo albums), negatives (celluloid and glass backed), paperwork from the business and events whiffen ran, newspaper clippings, ledgers, advertising, The rough drafts and illustrations from Larry's book entitles "shooting the bow". and many personal items some dating back to the late 1800's. Here is where I started.

nDQBkyj.jpg

iHe46Y2.jpg

qphQTl8.jpg

cVONcc3.jpg

1lOtF97.jpg

L8hQevQ.jpg

wCF86TO.jpg

Including Larry's baby photos.

bt8sHII.jpg

1Efacy5.jpg

I have not yet counted the number of photos but I estimate them to be in excess of 1000. there is about 40 pounds of items. The bulk of the photos were taken by Larry or pictures taken of Larry but there are also photos sent to Larry. This is a very tiny sample of the multitude of the items.

Larry Whiffen Sr.

Ye56UK8.jpg

n1c1l98.jpg

rUuyoRE.jpg

y7B93gr.jpg

Larry was a showman and and traveled far and wide to promote archery and bowhunting.

F2ExbVb.jpg

C11iRp1.jpg

I will not have the ability to photograph all of the items in preparation of the sale but as mentioned in the ATA citation at the beginning of my post here, Larry traveled the nation to speak and promote archery and bowhunting and put on shows and events and to promote his own products like bows, arrows, his Bodkin broadheads, quiver, fletching jig, etc.

Larry traveled with Fred bear and others to promote bowhunting and worked with other historical figures in the origins of bowhunting. Below are some of the photos that immediately caught my eye.

hMLhPuv.jpg

RUiY1xn.jpg

7EYzSZC.jpg

zyEDmyO.jpg

NEjHPG1.jpg

MPwegvD.jpg

Hq2IsQy.jpg

2GRc5ld.jpg

x5vUqUg.jpg

Ut0KK24.jpg

vWTIXYH.jpg

eHhBokx.jpg

VPqbrP3.jpg

gY6LCYh.jpg

PejNbyv.jpg

z3AoOqh.jpg

SaRfoVi.jpg

li3TiH3.jpg

FfNxa3w.jpg

THQUx72.jpg

UBGHQ4J.jpg

49ZgJrL.jpg

SnBDw7W.jpg

0RgMs8h.jpg

4RXs1Zm.jpg

YpZK9qy.jpg

HWfavhI.jpg

N5DrDrS.jpg

VF7g5hd.jpg

cvMUxGG.jpg

VYCuptG.jpg

xrFxxzC.jpg

4cUwkvr.jpg

4Gn8czN.jpg

zZMQkMj.jpg

Whiffen Archery Business ledger from 1933 and 34

ufJjKB4.jpg

LS2VLCx.jpg

6f2doVB.jpg

Many glossy catalog sheets (advertising)

GwCjdZ5.jpg

Magazines that Larry Sr. made notes in where his ads appeared.

6xZrVSf.jpg

Ive only just begun the process of making some of these items ready for sale. I doubt that Grant had gone through the contents of this box before turning it over to me so I will reaffirm that 100% of the contents will be made for sale since some of the items date back to the late 1800's and are photos of his grand parents and the documents related to the passing of his grandparents. Its really an honor and pleasure to be able to sort through these items and I have a long way to go.

The further I dig into this stach of old documents, the more im learning about the guys that paved the way for me to enjoy bowhunting. Im in awe.

Back