Knew it would happen

birddog32

Well, the Wisconsin wolf season has been challenged by a few Humane Society groups. Lawsuit filed to stop the pursuit of wolves with hounds. Reason being it is inhumane to subject a dog to the possible injuries it could receive while trailing wolves.
Suit was filed in Dane county (home of Madison) because anti's figured that was the easiest place to find a judge that was sympathetic to their cause.
Another way to get their foot in the door to try to stop hunting completely.
Since application process started in early August, so far DNR has received over 7000 apps for a coveted wolf tag.
Hope this lawsuit gets tossed. I want a wolf tag.

What kind of bada$$ hounds would you use to trail wolves? The pics of the unfortunate wolf #822 mauled in yellowstone by neighboring pack makes me think no hound would have a chance. Heck, I wonder how 10 seasoned and armored pig strike dogs, usually large pits, would be able to withstand even a moderate wolf pack.

I wouldn't use hounds , just concerned that some judge in Madison would consider putting the cabosh on the whole season because of this. Believe in Jackson county there are a couple of "packs" that have numbers of maybe 5-6 wolves. The way the rules are written they can be shot, trapped, baited and use hounds. My guess is that there are not too many bear hunters would risk their hounds to do this. The anti's have filed the lawsuit with the hope of stopping the whole season.

Back