Great Lakes wolves back on endangered species list

Gunflint

Court order puts Great Lakes wolves back on endangered species list

Wolves across the Great Lakes region are back on the federal endangered species list under full federal protection after a decision by a federal judge Friday in Washington.

Judge Beryl A. Howell sided with animal rights groups in a 111-page decision saying the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service moved too fast in removing federal protections in 2012.

The judge ruled that wolves in the Great Lakes states be immediately placed under the protections of the government’s 1978 ruling to protect the animals that had been hunted, trapped and harassed to near extinction at the time.

Under federal protections for three decades, wolf numbers rebounded in Minnesota, with the animals spreading into Wisconsin and Michigan. State and federal wildlife managers agreed that, by 2012, wolves had recovered well beyond expectations in the region, leading the Fish and Wildlife Service to declare the Great Lakes region a “distinct population’’ of gray wolf that had “recovered’’ under the terms of the Endangered Species Act.

The move was praised by sporting and farming groups that wanted to thin wolf numbers, and Minnesota and Wisconsin state resource agencies immediately instated hunting and trapping seasons in 2012.

But the Humane Society of the United States filed suit, saying the animal hadn’t fully recovered in all areas they existed and that the Fish and Wildlife Service was wrongly carving out a small, successful population from vast areas where no wolves existed.

In Friday’s ruling the judge granted summary judgment for the plaintiffs and ruled that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s “Final Rule designating a western Great Lakes DPS and delisting that DPS is vacated and the defendants are ordered to reinstate immediately the protections for gray wolves in the affected area as these protections existed prior to the Final Rule’s effective date” in 2012.

“The most important part of this decision is that it agrees wolf recovery needs to happen in more than just a few, core populations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan,” said Collette Adkins Giese, an attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity in Minnesota. “But another reason it was premature is that the states have absolutely proven, by their rapid hunting and trapping seasons, that they can’t be trusted to manage these animals. The zeal they had to start killing wolves again showed the kind of wolf hatred that got them (wolves) on the endangered list in the first place really hasn’t gone away.”

State and federal wildlife officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Jonathan Lovvorn, senior vice president and chief counsel for animal protection litigation at The Humane Society of the United States, said the judge ruled the Fish and Wildlife Service failed to explain how the “virtually unregulated” killing of wolves in Minnesota and Wisconsin does not constitute a continued threat to the species.

“In the short time since federal protections have been removed, trophy hunters and trappers have killed more than 1,500 Great Lakes wolves” and dramatically reduced wolf numbers, Lovvorn said. “We are pleased that the court has recognized that the basis for the delisting decision was flawed, and would stop wolf recovery in its tracks.”

The same court in September ruled that Wyoming wolves should still be under federal protections.

Last edited:
Just read that myself! Unbelievable! Don't even know what to say. Anyone following this issue knows the high number of wolves in Minnesota and that was reaffirmed this just completed deer season. The many sightings and trail camera pics, including by many hunters who don't spend much more time in the woods than during deer season, confirm the healthy population. Agency and research data confirm a healthy population. I just can't believe how this system works.

Shaking my head. At what point do these groups not stop.

I've always believed that the ESA had some purpose, with that purpose decreasing in correlation to the increases in abuses. I am no longer there. The ESA needs some serious revamp.

Sad to say this. The CBD and other serial litigants are pushing this issue to the point where tolerance for the mechanism they use to abuse the process, the ESA, is going down the tubes in a hurry. This will eventually blow up in the face of these folks who do nothing but litigate, litigate, litigate. And when it blows up, conservation and wildlife will suffer. And when it does these groups will have no one to look at, other than themselves.

Take a look at the soon to be seated Congress and see what stomach they have for this abuse. A lot less than Congress had prior to the election. They have turned people who had some tolerance for the process and the ugliness/clumsiness that came with ESA issues, and are now turning those people into folks who will work to see change/reform/repeal of these abuses.

Bullshit is what this is. For every action their is an equal and opposite reaction. I expect there to be strong opposite reaction in this instance.

This doesn't pass the smell test. I'd wait for it to play out on appeal before getting out the sack cloth and ashes.

This doesn't pass the smell test. I'd wait for it to play out on appeal before getting out the sack cloth and ashes.

I hope you're right, but the unnecessary cost, delay, and lost integrity of the system comes at a cost.

These groups have no concern about the wolves, or about the bigger picture of what their abuses do to other important conservation work that needs to be done; they only care about their own bank accounts.

It will force these issues into Congress, rather than where it should be; the hands of qualified professionals (and not professional lawyers). When it goes to Congress, it will not be a good thing in the long run. But, people will only stand for being abused for so long before they start bringing pressure.

Just like when Congress had to act on the Simpson-Tester rider to take the issue from the courts, there will be very little alternative for those who want some sanity. That is one of the big costs of this process that these groups either ignore or want to sweep under the rug.

Seeing stuff like this, who would ever sign onto another conservation issue when these groups have such easy means to abuse the process? Fewer and fewer people, making it less and less likely that the important conservation work ahead will get the support it needs.

I need to take the dogs for a walk. Pisses me off to no end. Idgits!

Wow, if hunters and trappers took 1500 wolves in that short of time there must be a lot of wolves in that area. The success rate of wolf harvest is typically pretty low.

How can we get the ESA revamped?, it sounds like that is the best way to cut down on the continual litigation's.

I agree with Randy..you can only push so far untill someone pushes back and then you have a big mess and everyone is a loser.

How can we get the ESA revamped?, it sounds like that is the best way to cut down on the continual litigation's.

Getting the ESA removed is DOA. Nobody in Congress has the stomach for that, not even the new Congress coming next year.

Changing how litigation occurs under the can be tweaked. A "Loser pays" system could be adopted for certain issues under the ESA or NEPA. Not allowing non-profits to reimbursed for legal fees under the EAJA could be a change. Exempting ESA and NEPA lawsuits from reimbursement under the EAJA could be a change.

Change the notification and involvement provisions that would be needed for someone to be an interested party, as was attempted to be implemented in the Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. In other words, if you were not there from the beginning and voiced your concerns, you can't show up years later, all lawyered up, and file a claim on some obscure technicality.

There are lots of ways to start chipping away at the franchise model these groups have built, without taking on the full ESA. Its is not necessarily the ESA that is the problem, rather the other tools/laws these groups use to fund their perpetual litigation.

Put them on the defensive of having to start defending their business models would be a good start. Breaking down some of those business models would be a much better start.

Its not a perfect system but let's hope this new congress wants to do good things and hide less. The people have given them a great opportunity. Let's hope they make the best of it.

When I saw these headlines tonight, my reaction was the same as Randy's, bullshit! I grew up whitetail hunting in Northern Wisconsin. It was always tough. I've lived here in WY for the last 10 years, but still have family and friends deer hunting in Northern WI every year. Across the board, this years hunt along with the last bunch of years has been awful. Yeah, a tough winter last year was part of it, but wolves are decimating the herd. The elk that were introduced a few years before Kentucky's struggle to make a go of it too. Look at what's happened in KY, they're elk are off the wall. Wisconsin's herd will always be stunted with the wolves waiting around every tree.
I hope that enough people up there get sick enough of this garbage and just do what needs to be done, whatever that may be :)
Makes me sick how things in this great country are so flippin disfunctional.

Jonathan Lovvorn, senior vice president and chief counsel for animal protection litigation at The Humane Society of the United States, said the judge ruled the Fish and Wildlife Service failed to explain how the “virtually unregulated” killing of wolves in Minnesota and Wisconsin does not constitute a continued threat to the species.

Now how did the States arguing this point lose? Makes no sense unless they didn't have the heart to fight it.

I'm not up to date on those states management plans, but I think there's no free for all, and unlimited hunting going on.

I saw were Michigan closed down after just a small number of wolves were taken.

The virtually unregulated thing makes me sick. Yes I know that they have quotas for the animals that have gone over the last few years. However the seasons have as quick as a closure as possible when these things are met. The seasons have lasted for so short a period the last few years one without or with a degree in biology would have to think that the animals are thriving, Hopefully this gets overturned. Really glad I didn't put in for a bonus point this year even though I think it would be awesome to hunt or even see the remnants of the only wolf population that wasn't extirpated in the past.

Wolf researchers including Dr. David Mech, considered the foremost wolf researcher, disagrees with this decision. He stated there are far more wolves born each year in these states than are harvested. And that is common sense given the population. The ESA and litigation process are completely out of whack. I don't know the answer. As a former natural resource professional, I have been involved in these kinds of issues and the lawsuits that can stop good management of our resources. Lawsuits using the ESA have stopped many timber sales, particularly on National Forests, as most of you are aware, that now have put the US Forest Service basically in the position of not being able to properly manage timber on our forests. And I agree the underlying theme of these bleeding heart organizations is hands off our natural resources and preventing timber harvest and hunting... on and on... How we get the pendulum swinging back toward common sense and good science is a major challenge. Maybe a start would be to get all our major national and smaller state and local outdoor sporting organizations to some how unite on some key efforts to begin to turn the tide and strengthen our voice. It may mean a bit of a refocus for many groups to somewhat lessen their own organizational efforts, without compromising them, and add a few "bullets" to their agenda. Individually we don't seem to have an effect. .... Geez! You would think these geniuses from these bleeding heart organizations would see the major social issues in their inner core cities and put the money and concern to where it's needed !!!

Now how did the States arguing this point lose? Makes no sense unless they didn't have the heart to fight it.

I'm not up to date on those states management plans, but I think there's no free for all, and unlimited hunting going on.

I saw were Michigan closed down after just a small number of wolves were taken.

The wolves up here were taken off the ESA as recovered by the Feds and each of the three states has proceeded with their own plan just like out in MT and ID. This ruling by another Lib female Judge in DC yesterday came right out of the blue and I don't believe many people up here even knew she was handling an appeal by the huggers. MI has taken very few out under their plan. This is what happens when the antis/huggers are able to continue finding a court somewhere and keep this in the political arena. Until the courts are completely taken out of the equation and game management is only done by trained biologists/scientists this will continue. Who knows that MT and ID won't be the next to get wacked on a technicality by some Judge thousands of miles away the way this country is going down the drain! With rulings like this it will be interesting to see what happens with the contemplated delisting of grizzlies in the near future out in the Rockies.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back