Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kitty Kitty Kitty

highmountian

We had good snow with the right conditons, so it was time to go run a kitty! Hoping we didn't have to much snow to get around we took a snowmoblile, a four wheeler and a wheeler with tracks. We were covered. We drove around till my 4 wheeler could bearly get through the snow. We dicided to split up to cover more ground. I would go lower and my buddy high. I had split from him and only drove about a mile when I cut a track. It was a good track too. I turned around in a hurry to see if I could catch my buddy before he got to high on the mountian where I couldn't go. As luck would have it, he stopped to check out a dead deer! I told him let's go get some dogs cause it was time to run. We went back to the truck and grabbed the dogs.
It was still early in the morning so we had time for a good chase. The track looked good and the dogs were ready. We hooked up everything to the wheeler with tracks and off we went! It didn't take long before we were back at the track and excited to see the dogs run off in the fog. It was really foggy. You couldn't see a 100 yards away. We took two dogs to the track and they lit up! Off they went. About 15 minutes later we sent out 2 more dogs to follow up! They are younger and not quite as experienced as the first two. Still very good dogs though. Soon they were all lit up barking up the canyon, the chase was on.
As we watched the gps unit, the dogs were about 400 yards apart and going strong. It lookied as if the first 2 dogs were right on the cat and running circles around to big rocky mountian top knob! The other 2 dogs pilled off to the right and started heading down the canyon. My buddy hoped they weren't chasing something they weren't supposed too! It took a few hours before the first 2 dogs finially circled enough times that they hooked up with the other younger dogs. Soon they all showed tree'd on the gps unit! We were about 3 miles from them and in very deep snow. We decided to take another road to see how close we could get. When all said n done we got within 900yards from them on the gps unit. Still quite away's away with 14 inches of snow on the ground, but we got there! It was awesome closing the distance n seeing the dogs going crazy at the cougar in the tree. we took the photo's and some video and tied the dog's up. I was going to shoot the cat with my bow and didn't want the cat getting to the dog's when it came out of the tree. It was a 14 yard shot, head on! This is the only shot I had on the kitty. No side shot's at all. My buddy video'd the whole thing and my shot was true. Man did that cat come out of the tree in a hurry! It run only 15 yards and was stone died. My shot was perfect. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again.:eek:
I think I am going to see if I can get my wife one as well! She is excited to try for one.:D

Attachments

• HPIM2979.jpg
    HPIM2979.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 500
  • HPIM2982.jpg
    HPIM2982.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 496
  • HPIM2985.jpg
    HPIM2985.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 492
  • HPIM2992.jpg
    HPIM2992.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 494
  • HPIM3000.jpg
    HPIM3000.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 497
fricking awsome! I hope to see one while coues hunting this year.

3 walker dogs and a black and tan. very nice. awesome looking cat.

Dude that is awesome, big time congrats. Remember I still have a tag in my pocket after Crystalyn gets her cat. ;)

Wooooo haahhhhhhh...

gotta be more pictures than that......

I'm a bird hunter that can't resist a good "fur" or "antler" or "horn" story.......don't do it but love to see it and hear about it.......got my start hunting with a cousin and a pack of Plots and Black and Tans, and Blueticks and they still have a huge attraction ro me....

Great post....but like I said....gotta be more pictures......

Steve

Fun fun times in 2010!!

Thanks to all that have replied! I have had a great year.

IB, I will see what I can do for gettiing you one 2. It is truely a blast when it all comes together!

Moosie, there is plenty of kills in your house hold 2! Congrats bro!

Attachments

• HPIM2976.jpg
    HPIM2976.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 392
  • HPIM2986.jpg
    HPIM2986.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 386

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325