kitty cat

William Christy

This kitty must have been a real fighter, with some battle scars on his face and nose.

kurt_lion_0001.jpg

kurt_lion_0002.jpg

kurt_lion_0003.jpg

kurt_lion_0006.jpg

molly_and_smoke-email.jpg

s_cat.jpg

That second pic is great!! Congrats. What kinda hounds you guys using? Or can you pretty much run them down??...;)

He's a nice looking cat. Are you going to full mount him or rug him or just get him tanned?

Have you had any for dinner yet. I'm not sure why, but I really like eating cougar, just cause its so different I guess. It looks like pork when you cook it, tastes kinda like a pork/deer mix??....

Anyhow, congrats. Was it much of a chase or was it a hot track from the get go?

Awesome pics. With those claws and a licking of the lips, I think he may have been sizing you guys up. :D

Thanks for the pics.

It was about a 3hr chase, around 3 miles, just out of town. I was a friend who has some great dogs. Yesterday they killed another cat, which I think makes 5 in about 10 days. I think these guys typically catch 20 or more each winter. Not sure on the length of the cat, but his skull is 14 11/15, which will make B&C awards book. He was an old mature tom, long and lanky, 136 lbs. on an empty stomach. Not sure what I'm going to do with him, probably life-size mount.

Make sure and find a taxidermist that does great lion mounts dude, cause in my opinion there is nothing worse than a bad lion mount, and fact is, most are bad. I"m sure Rich knows someone if he catches that many cats! Thats a lot of lions in a year, and thats how you make great dogs.

ThroatYogurt (aka Greenhorn), way cool. That boy was a scrapper with those scars.

I thought you and WeekendWarrior aka SBD used to think lion hunters were ferrys? Wazzup?

Did you shoot that with a bow or a gun?

Rocky, lion hunters are ferries, but the guy I do a lot of hunting with these days happens to be the kingferry, probably the most dedicated houndsman around here. There is also a good crew of loyal cattrackers that keeps his hounds very busy. I didn't deserve such a nice cat, it was really a very nice gift from friends. I shot him with my friend's pistol.

10 years ago, I found some lion tracks and phoned my buddy, (who at the time I didn't know very well) who had hounds and was really getting into it for an 18 yr old. That day, they caught the lion (and 2 others) and he killed what is still his best cat. Anyhow, he called me the other night and told me they had found a track they thought they could freshen up in the morning and it was a good sized lion, told me.. "Your coming along!". I've turned down a few calls like this in the past and seen all the video, and resulting lion kills... so I decided to go. I've always wanted to take one without dogs and if I used dogs, to find my own track. I'm very glad I went though, the dogs catching it was really a great part of it.

220lbs?? I've been told that cat weights are one of the most inflated things around. This one sure looked huge to me. I've seen 2 others in the wild, called in, and they were definatly way smaller. We drug this one out whole, ungutted and it weighed a measly 136lbs, with the blood it lost, may have weighed a few more ounces, but probably not 140. They got one earlier that was 154, the heaviest in several years apparently. Side by side, could hardly tell the difference. The belly on the other one was fuller and it was a little thicker through the forelegs. A friend's wife shot one yesterday that I thought was also very nice, it was 120lbs. My friends catch and release a lot of cats, when they kill one, they weigh them whole so they can judge the weight accurately in the future. This one was guess at by 4 people (in the tree) and I don't think anybody was more than 5lbs off. I would have bought 160-170 if somebody would have told me that.

OHHHH sorry, I thought you posted the Picture of the other "CAT" you bagged ;)

Cats on my list. I'm not shooting anything under 200# (Canadian that is ;) )

Remember old Bobcat from Wyoming. Every friggin cat he caught was between 190 and 215, your buddies just catching the little ones Kurt.

Of all the cats I know of that have been weighed over the years, including about 4 that went Boone, only a couple have went over 200 pounds. One honest to god weighed 226. Probably had 50 pounds of elk meat in its gullet, I dont know and dont know if the guys that killed/weighed it even checked, but thats the biggest by 24 pounds that I'd ever heard of (that I trusted).

My dad has one mounted in his dining room that was never weighed, no way to get it out without cutting it to pieces. I'd bet lots of money it went 190+. But yeah, 135-165 is commonly a dang nice cat. My 11 year old female (first cat) weighed 100 even with no guts. They dont have much for guts though. We took her off an elk kill.....little 100 pounder killed a 500 pound elk....scary.

Congratulations Kurt. That's a dandy. Like I said before, now that you've had a taste of it your bow and bugle will do nothing but gather dust and you'll have a whole yard full of potlickers by next year at this time. You might even want to plan ahead and put the best divorce attorney in town on retainer. ;-)

There's just one thing that seems a little fishy and I'm not going to be able to sleep well until I get to the bottom of it. In the pictures your cat is treed in a douglas fir...maybe a spruce but I'd darn near swear it's a doug-fir...but the dogs are treeing on a lodgepole pine. Yep, definitely a lodgepole pine. So what's the deal, huh? Just gives the whole thing a bad feel. I sincerely hope you can resolve this issue to my satisfaction or I'll probably be forced to drop a dime on you. I know my ol' pardner bcat would be glad to back me on this. ;-)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back