Kitchen knife set

I went through a kitchen knife binge a few years ago. We had a Wusthof classic set and I was convinced I wanted to go to the Japanese style knife with a thinner lighter blade. I bought Shun Premiers which are a very nice knife. However, I still find myself using the Wusthof more. They are heavier and cut easier when sharpened properly. The Japanese knives are incredibly sharp and hard but also brittle. I took a chip out of the blade of one of the shuns cutting up a whitetail leg quarter.

We have a cheap set of Henckels at the cabin and I would avoid the lower end of that line. Actually, avoid the lower end of all the lines. Better steel, better knife.

Henckels knives have different grades of quality you want the ones with two little men in the logo vs the ones with a single person.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104-070948.png
    Screenshot_20230104-070948.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230104-071038.png
    Screenshot_20230104-071038.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
We got a set of self-sharpening Calphalon's about 7-8 years ago and I just now had to put them on a stone. Good steel the self-sharpener worked fine.

Been getting a few Damascus steel knives from different makers lately. A nice Chinese cleaver & a good boning knife as well as a Hammer Stahl carving set that is wicked sharp.

Inherited a lovely set of stag-handled Solingen steak knives as well. My wife is not allowed to touch them after running one through the dishwasher.

has anyone used any of their antlers to have a custom knife set made?

that's a thought of mine for the future.

ditto the calphalon self sharpening block. got that as a wedding present and they've stayed plenty sharp so far.

Got my Henckels set a couple days ago. Very nice! Nice weight and balance to them. Only used one so far but I'll try them out pretty soon. As far as the 2 men on the logo, I'm pretty sure my skill level is just fine with the single guy!

I have a full set of wusthof knives and i have almost a set of Shun knives i have been buying. Wusthof are more of a heavy blade and can take a good amount of abuse. I personally love my shuns, they fit better in my hands and are lighter. They are a tad brittle but i have yet to chip one. Sadly my Wusthof sit in the basement in a box now.

I’ve got two of the Cutco filet knives (the adjustable length models) have sent them both in for Res gardening over the decade plus I’ve had them. $5 shipping total to/from and cut like brand new. Even replaced the handle grip on one, I didn’t even ask.
I bought a cutco scissors 11 years ago and I think I use it every day. Its an awesome tool.

I friendly argued with my wife for a while about not buying Cutco knives. Then she finally talked me into it. I was the idiot. They are as sharp or sharper out of the box than I can get a knife and hold an edge too. To boot, they have a lifetime warranty and free lifetime sharpening. No complaints on my part.
I've got a hand-me-down cutco set that are older than I am, and they're still as good as new. They come out at your convenience to sharpen them, it's great!

When the Pandemic heated up in early 2020, my wife and I realized in May 2020 that we had just spent 50 continuous days together for the first time in our 35 years of marriage. Some years, we spent around 40 days together in the entire year. We both had careers that involved travel. Lot of travel as sales executives with quarterly targets and teams.

Another issue of being together for so many consecutive meals is we ran out of entree ideas around Day 25. We read up on new recipes and meal prep became our thing to unwind and relax. Our choice of knives over the years was fine but not amazing. I decided to research what knives were being used a home by chefs. Turns out not a lot of agreement in a "best" brand but got lots of feedback on how the knife fit in the hand, balance, heft, etc.

I decided on Shun Premier but at over $100 a knife I was waiting for a sale. I sometimes stalk Craig's List and there was a listing by a couple selling a set of Shun Premier that was a wedding gift. Maybe that is the case but they were a bit dodgy. Met in a public place, did the handoff of $650 cash and we were in business. I get the knives professionally sharped every year.

These knives are tools. Very good heft and balance. Using a very good knife for the first time is like shouldering a shotgun for the first time that just "fits" everywhere as you swing on a speedy dove or passing duck.

We use these knives every day and they do everything they should. I tossed the knife block to use a magnetic system so see each knife rather than just the handles.

Cry once, buy once.

Shun knives.jpg

When the Pandemic heated up in early 2020, my wife and I realized in May 2020 that we had just spent 50 continuous days together for the first time in our 35 years of marriage. Some years, we spent around 40 days together in the entire year. We both had careers that involved travel. Lot of travel as sales executives with quarterly targets and teams.

Another issue of being together for so many consecutive meals is we ran out of entree ideas around Day 25. We read up on new recipes and meal prep became our thing to unwind and relax. Our choice of knives over the years was fine but not amazing. I decided to research what knives were being used a home by chefs. Turns out not a lot of agreement in a "best" brand but got lots of feedback on how the knife fit in the hand, balance, heft, etc.

I decided on Shun Premier but at over $100 a knife I was waiting for a sale. I sometimes stalk Craig's List and there was a listing by a couple selling a set of Shun Premier that was a wedding gift. Maybe that is the case but they were a bit dodgy. Met in a public place, did the handoff of $650 cash and we were in business. I get the knives professionally sharped every year.

These knives are tools. Very good heft and balance. Using a very good knife for the first time is like shouldering a shotgun for the first time that just "fits" everywhere as you swing on a speedy dove or passing duck.

We use these knives every day and they do everything they should. I tossed the knife block to use a magnetic system so see each knife rather than just the handles.

Cry once, buy once.

View attachment 260485
That is the set I'm slowly building! You got an amazing deal! I have 5 so far .

Looking for ideas/personal recommendations on a steak/kitchen knife set? I’ve got so many shitty knives in the drawers, at this point I don’t mind spending money on quality and long term knives if anyone has ideas. Thanks guys
Cutco knives all the way !
My wife’s kitchen knife set in nice Cutco knife block.
I also have the Cutco hunting knife and fisherman fillet knife..most excellent.
Lifetime warranty and you can send them back for resharpening love the Double D edge.

Last edited:
Kitchen knives are a bit of a hobby for me. I grew up with my parents circa 1955 Cutco's, so I was used to decent knives. When I married in 1985 we were given a block of Henckel's by my parents. Fast forward, we were given various Shun's by different friends. While all these knives were nice enough, they didn't satisfy me. Finally about four years ago I discovered the world of handmade Japanese knives and that's where I've been ever since. My son got our 1980's Henckel's, my wife is content with her bock full of Shun's (7 total), but I have a small hoard to handmade Japanes knives that I adore. People will spend a lot of money on handmade hunting knives that get used once or twice a year. Me, I prefer to put that money into something I use everyday.

I have a lot of hunting knives about 60 years worth. I have a lot I cherish but my Randall is my most favorite ……will skin a entire moose without sharpening very good knife.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back