Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kimber Montana 300WSM vs 280AI

ErictheRed

I have two Kimber Montana's on hold and I need choose the 300WSM or 280AI - like tomorrow. I already have a 270WSM and 7mm-08 in the Montana and love them. I wanted something with more punch and planned on the 300WSM. Then I got cold feet thinking about the recoil. I'm not thrilled with muzzle brakes so I looked at the 280AI. Really good ballistics for a non-magnum caliber. The problem here is it doesn't seem much different from a 270 WSM. In any case, I'm getting one or the other - just because. Any thoughts from the Hunt Talk family?

I'd go 84L all the way over 8400. Feel so much better to me.

I'll never try to convince someone they don't need another gun but with the two you have your bases are covered. So if you're looking to get one I'd pick the .300 WSM. It would just give you the option to shoot a heavier bullet if you chose to do so.

"I already have a 270WSM and 7mm-08...."

"I need choose the 300WSM or 280AI - like tomorrow..."

"I'm getting one or the other - just because...."

I think you need a to attend a 12 step program of some sort.... with that said... get the 300 of you want punch...

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! Three for 300 WSM and 1 for the 280 AI. And yes I'm pathetic when it comes to guns and Elk hunting. I'll go bankrupt just because when it goes to these! My buddy Tony and I are on our way to Jays Sporting Goods in Clare, Mi. For our locals this is better than a Cabelas because it's our Michigan sporting goods store. I have my talley mounts ready to go for either choice but the 300 is now back in the lead! Any more advise as the purchase is only a couple hours away!

I have the .300 WSM Kimber Montana. Don't worry about the recoil it isn't bad. Really it is kind of different from any thing I have shot. Hard to explain but when you touch the trigger off the recoil is
Fast but not hard if that makes any sense. Anyway I can shoot it and shoot it and not get beat up. On a side note I am considering a Kimber in a .280 AI as we. Not sure which model.... might go with the Hunter.

Enjoying a little breakfast at Big Boy and then heading in to Jays to close the deal. It looks like the 300 is clearly in the lead so unless something changes inside, I'll be going with the magnum!

300wsm. What recoil? I've been shooting mine for years and never noticed the recoil.
300wsm loads are easy to find, not so sure for 280AI. Even if you reload at some point you may need to buy some loaded rounds for a hunt, 300 wsm can be readily found whereas 280's are not as easy to find.
Multitude of bullet choices for reloading .

...not even a choice really...280AI, by a landslide.

The reality is, you're just buying because you can. I'd leave both rifles on the rack, take the money you're going to spend on the rifle you don't need, and buy enough bullets, brass, powder and primers for the 7-08 in an attempt to wear out the barrel. Then try to do just that.

Last edited:
Buzz, etc all:
It is done. The 300 WSM is in the car on the way to the range to test. I appreciate all the help with the purchase. I'll let you all know how she shoots. And Buzz, you advice on wearing out the 7mm-08 is well taken. It is my favorite but I can't pry it out of my three daughters hands as they always claim it first! Tony tells me I should just buy another.

Buzz, etc all:
It is done. The 300 WSM is in the car on the way to the range to test. I appreciate all the help with the purchase. I'll let you all know how she shoots. And Buzz, you advice on wearing out the 7mm-08 is well taken. It is my favorite but I can't pry it out of my three daughters hands as they always claim it first! Tony tells me I should just buy another.

Then turn that car around and go put another 7-OYOA in your car as well! I love spending others money;)

Nothing wrong with a .30 Except I like ones that burn more powder than a short mag. Have fun with it. mtmuley

You're already heading to the range, so what scope did you put on it? Both my Kimbers wear a Leupold VX 3, 2.5-8x36.

Nothing wrong with a .30 Except I like ones that burn more powder than a short mag. Have fun with it. mtmuley

Rumor has it a new .308 projectiled wildcat is in the mill....based on a 50 cal BMG case.

It's called the 30-500 mtmuley BMG ;)

*4-1-17

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back