Kimber Hunter

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I have a hunter in .280AI and it shoots the 131 Hammers At 3121fps under an inch consistently. If I cool it and do my part I have shot a few 5 shot groups at 1/2-5/8ths. Took awhile to ring it out but for a light barrel and rifle it is impressive. I really like the safety ,trigger, and actions are super strong. Down side is the ugly stock. I took mine of floated and bedded it then bought the best primer and paint which was recommend by a friend that paints high dollar stocks . Hunted it last two years and it still looks great,spent hours in saddle scabbard as well. What a pleasure to pack

I purchased one in 257 Roberts earlier this year. What a joy to carry in the hills. Accuracy is more than acceptable, with 20 rounds or so downrange at 1 1/8 inch. Should get better, hopefully components become less scarce, and I can really get after developing a load.

The scratches you show wouldn't bother me, but if they did bother someone I'd bet some bondo, sandpaper, and Krylon could assuage any hurt feelers.
I’m not losing any sleep over it, more of an FYI observation for anyone considering one of these. I’ll use a good self etching primer and paint it one of these days. I’m doing the McMillan on the Remmy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks sharp! Not sure if you have painted a stock before, but a good couple weeks of curing time really toughens up the finish...

did you put a clear coat on it?
Thanks! Yes, a matte clear coat. And yes, I’ll let it cure for a couple of weeks.

What type of paint did you use on it? Looks professional!
I got everything at Ace Hardware except the marbling paint. I had to order it off of Amazon.

Rustoleum self etching primer
Rustoleum sand texture paint
Krylon marbleizing spray paint
Rustoleum matte clear coat

I might be going too heavy, but I find it takes just about a whole can of the sand texture paint to get really good coverage on one gunstock. All told, there's probably about $15 in each.

When you do the marbleizing paint, I found it works way better to use a coat hanger hook to hold the stock, let the butt rest on the ground so you are letting the paint fall onto the stock instead of trying to do it while its hanging upright. Based on readings, I did this immediately after the last coat of sand texture spray as it supposedly gives better adhesion.

2893AD74-25E2-4BFF-95CD-A93BD882A0DF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got everything at Ace Hardware except the marbling paint. I had to order it off of Amazon.

Rustoleum self etching primer
Rustoleum sand texture paint
Krylon marbleizing spray paint
Rustoleum matte clear coat

I might be going too heavy, but I find it takes just about a whole can of the sand texture paint to get really good coverage on one gunstock. All told, there's probably about $15 in each.

When you do the marbleizing paint, I found it works way better to use a coat hanger hook to hold the stock, let the butt rest on the ground so you are letting the paint fall onto the stock instead of trying to do it while its hanging upright. Based on readings, I did this immediately after the last coat of sand texture spray as it supposedly gives better adhesion.

View attachment 176500

Did you do any sanding or acetone before the primer? I've been debating doing something like this to my tikka stock, I'm just concerned about the long term durability / adhesion

Did you do any sanding or acetone before the primer? I've been debating doing something like this to my tikka stock, I'm just concerned about the long term durability / adhesion
Yes to both.

I can get local to my fair city. I quit brewing a coupleof years ago. Too many choices around to decide what i want to make next. Paralysis by analysis, if you will.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back