Kids and hunting

B5648FF4-B7CE-498D-A20E-C82242FC169B.jpeg4EC9F101-F78D-4653-AE7C-980C3D9AC3BC.jpegCB255473-1FA2-4FF8-A33E-6483D163D45E.jpeg5E193FA9-F78E-4AE3-A2D1-E0287E5040D6.jpegMy son shows fleeting interest at time, he is ten. He seems to enjoy bush craft more then actually hunting. Likes to shoot his bow also, or Hiking and building forts, or carving sticks…
I been introducing him slowly and in short outings. I am hopeful he will take it up however I don’t dwell on it.

-Kids are not going to like glassing. Glassing is boring.
I resemble that comment. As I've started to suck less at glassing, it's gotten marginally less boring, but I'm a lot better at burning boot leather than I am finding animals. I don't have kids yet, but I do have the attention span of a small child, and I've found I get a lot more enjoyment out of a morning hunt (that can extend longer if successful) or an evening hunt, but being out all day can be a drag.

Yeah my dad went to every single ballet recital and coached both my sister and my's soccer teams. He was pretty adamant against us playing a summer sport as that was hiking/camping season. I think the "pursue our passions as equal to their own" part is key.

Did my mom and dad support me in whatever I wanted to do? Unequivocally yes, was I the center of the universe... absolutely not. Did I have to do things I wasn't interested in at the time, yes.

I feel pitty for people whose parents just catered to their every desire. How are you supposed to build a relationship with a spouse with that kinda upbringing? I feel like my upbringing was very much 'you are a member of this family' you get a 1/4 share of the families energy and are expected to support others when it's their turn.

My mom and dad did toned down trips with us, and took time to do some agro one's without us to keep sane.

All that being said, from all your past posts it seems like you're doing it right.
Yeah, I have to say that my childhood was very similar to wllm's and I don't think selfish is the right word. I think kids are literally designed to fit into the life their parents need them to and giving them all the choice is not necessarily a kindness.

That said,

It's a great question you've raised, neffa. I've thought about it a ton and still think about it alot. Shortly before he died, I had this plan to meet Larry Benoit and ask him about how he managed to get so many of his kids not only interested in hunting, but so rabid about a particularly demanding type of hunting. I really wanted to hear that answer. I have 3 sons and I'm in the thick of it now.

I've taken a hybrid approach. I've tried to make hunting into a really fun topic from the beginning. They knew I loved to do it and they were fascinated by the animals. I also limited their exposure when they were young, making sure that they got out with me a bit (especially when I thought there'd be some excitement), but also not bringing them along every time they wanted to. I wanted a bit of that exclusivity. I'm still clear with them that I want my own hunting time too, even as they're getting more hooked. I tried to make shooting fun. It was all bb's and .22's for several years and we shot very little at paper bullseyes. We used pictures of animals, metal spinners, cans, shotgun shells, etc. to keep it interesting. (BTW, thank you to that dude at the range several years ago, who set up tannerite targets for my kids. They still talk about that... :ROFLMAO:) One year, for my son's birthday, we failed to procure a piñata in time and so I created a trail walk around the woods, with candy inserted into inflated balloons, the balloons hidden on stumps, in tree branches, etc. He and all his friends walked around with me and had to shoot the balloons with a bb gun to release the candy. Major hit and amazingly, if any parents were appalled, they kept it to themselves.

I did an online hunter safety course with my older boys, one at a time and in the evening. It became a fun, special thing that we could do together each night.

WHen it was time for them to start shooting a center fire rifle, I was pretty careful about loading down to keep recoil low. I think ear plugs and muffs together is also smart to reduce the flinch from muzzle blast. I still think one of those Howa mini actions in 6.5 grendel would be a great first deer rifle, though I didn't go that route.

When we started going hunting, I tried to start them on duck hunting, as it was less demanding on their patience and action was relatively common. When we started hunting deer, I tried to never make them sit somewhere longer than an hour, at first. When they seemed bored, it was time to move somewhere else. That makes tagging deer more difficult and that was a big part of my reasoning for taking the older boy to Wyoming, with a doe antelope tag, when he was 12. I wanted him to taste success early on and that was a tall order at home. I'm planning on taking middle son out there next year.

I know I can't completely compete against the other things in their lives. I try not to fight it too much yet. If I can get them to hunt with me for half the day on Sunday, I don't begrudge the soccer game on Saturday and the video games, play dates, etc. I'm choosing to be patient, counting on their enjoyment growing over time. I figure, if I mention something about hunting some February evening and they sound excited about the prospect, that's a win, for now. It seems to be working out. They have a limit to their patience and endurance for it, but they enjoy it. The oldest got a doe earlier this month and now he would really like to try for a buck. He's pretty capable and I'm crossing my fingers for snow in November so I can cautiously introduce him to tracking...

Hope this is somewhat helpful. I'm figuring it out too and don't have all the answers. I'm enjoying reading others' responses.
IMG_7048.JPG

I'm sure a few more people will comment, but I wanted to thank all those that have put their thoughts down so far. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them. Some of you are damn fine parents that we could all look up to.

Last edited:
I'm prepared for those kind of things happening on a hunt. They are kids being kids and they are having fun outside with you! My ten year old goofs off at least half the time we are hunting and I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

1. I take them with any time I can. However, I also am holding them back from doing it themselves till I feel they are ready. Likely that will be 13-15, I want them to understand what taking a life means when they decide to shoot.

2. Absolutely everything I can in anything that will broaden their horizons. I’ve paddled around a lake in a canoe so they could just make bird nests of fishing line. I’ve driven them all over hells half acre. They have done horse lessons so they won’t be afraid of them if they are ever around them. We have taken them out of school for natural science lessons. They go with me anytime we can make it work. Wife needs a newer car but we bought a camper instead to make trips more comfortable.

I don’t want them to grow up and have to figure it out. They will have a solid base of experience to peruse what ever choice they make in regards to the outdoors, fishing, and hunting.

I think that's great.

But... if you have a couple of kids, spaced out a few years, your looking at 10-15 years where you're at peak physical capability but instead you're walking old logging roads while listening to a constant stream of whisper fighting 10 yards behind you...

Yes, I recognize that my hesitancy to embrace this is selfish. But it's real.

I worried about the selfish aspect of things as my kids have reached hunting age I have found more joy in teaching them how to hunt and honestly teaching them has made me better hunter as well. There is nothing like watching your 10 year old shoot his first deer or your 11 year old shoot his fist elk.

Don't get my wrong I still take several days to solo hunt by myself every year. I do everything I can in the planning phase during the off-season to make sure hunts don't overlap too much and that everyone gets ample time to try and fill their tags, but I do take several days to chase deer and elk by myself as well as with the kids, but I do get so much fulfillment taking the kids out, even if we don't see anything, it's really the time and experiences that count and that are going to make them want to come home and hunt with you when they are older and more experienced.

Just my two pennies.

Some great advice here.
As a family that hunts we have a hard time balancing some of the wifes hunts that require her to hike hard or are in harsh weather. The wife currently has a once in a lifetime moose tag and we are about 2 months in to the hunt. We have 1yr and 5yr old boys the are about fed up with the weekend grind.
The 5yr old is actually getting angry every time we see a moose and don't shoot it. He has been on a lot of hunts but we had thus far avoided hunts where you pass animals. We are at a loss caught between a o.i.l. tag and not wanting to burn out a once enthusiastic 5yr old.

20211021_114200.jpg
20211002_101110.jpg
20200815_110339(0).jpg20200815_082301.jpg
20191126_173420.jpg

As I have thought more about it, I need to add a few things.

1. Just start them on shooting. Take them out when they are young and just let them get comfortable and proficient shooting a .22, they will get addicted.

2. As soon as they can, start taking them on small game hunts like upland game i.e. grouse, rabbits and things like that.

3. Don't overwork them. When you go out on small game hunts don't hike to much and overwork them. They will get burned out pretty quick if you over work them.

4. Go on hikes and camping/fishing trips during the summer to help build their legs and lungs and condition them for the fall.
Use these hikes as scouting trips and opportunities to teach them about what you are looking for as far as habitat and sign. Kids want to learn and using things like this to teach will peak their interest.

Did my mom and dad support me in whatever I wanted to do? Unequivocally yes, was I the center of the universe... absolutely not. Did I have to do things I wasn't interested in at the time, yes.

I feel pitty for people whose parents just catered to their every desire. How are you supposed to build a relationship with a spouse with that kinda upbringing? I feel like my upbringing was very much 'you are a member of this family' you get a 1/4 share of the families energy and are expected to support others when it's their turn.

My mom and dad did toned down trips with us, and took time to do some agro one's without us to keep sane.
Amen WLM. My wife grew up in a family where her dad and mom were off every night doing something else... without the kids. Golf/bowling/hunting/pool etc.. all the while my wife and her brother went to their baseball, basketball games by themselves.. And my wife played college basketball. Now I was just the opposite. Both my parents were teachers so we didn't have alot of $$. My little brother was always sick ( he died in 95 from cancer) but my parents never took a vacation together. Sure we went to florida until I was 8, but then sports took over. My sister and I were pretty damn good, my baseball skills paid for college so I can't complain.

So when my wife and I got married we definitely blended our upbringing. We don't push our kids to play sports, but they do ( only one sport a season). I don't do any extra curriculars except hunt/fish, with the kids. She does weekend trips to her best friends house. We take the kids every other year on a big trip ( cancun, dominican, etc..) and that is their whole year.. Christmas, birthdays, etc.. they don't get anything else. Then on the non kid years we take a trip together.

Being an automotive executive we have moved 8 times in 16 years of marriage so our support system is 100% the wife and I. Its just us. We have never lived by family and truthfully I think it has made our relationship stronger.

I couldn't imagine giving into all of my kids desires. They don't get there way more times than not. Builds character. I mean come on do we really want them to think that they are going to get their way through adult hood too???

Neffa3, you need to make your home state hunting about your kids and make an out of state trip for yourself. It sounds like you just aren’t getting enough hunting time in for yourself. That, or take the entire season off.
In the Deep South, we have a tradition of big deer camps that fill up every weekend for several months. Kids are usually welcome and there’s plenty of fun to be had for them. My son killed his first deer at 6. By 10, I could leave him on stand by himself. He was an exceptionally calm and mature kid. Hunting is just what we did all of those years of his childhood. I was often able to hunt some on my own during the week while he was growing up. That kept me sharp and also able to find deer for him to hunt when he was able to go.

Remember, anything can happen. Here’s the kid at ten years old. We made a 45 minute after school hunt with his six year old sister. All three of us were in a two person ladder stand. The odds of us killing a good buck that day were very low. But it happened.

Attachments

• 959A9C40-E5A7-41CE-BF22-70F33BB70ED0.jpeg
    959A9C40-E5A7-41CE-BF22-70F33BB70ED0.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 4
Neffa3, you need to make your home state hunting about your kids and make an out of state trip for yourself. It sounds like you just aren’t getting enough hunting time in for yourself. That, or take the entire season off.
Outside of the fact that I still have some bucket list goals here in WA, I should take your advice, it would certainly alleviate some of the stress.

My hunting partner chooses the latter and hasn't worked since like August...

I took Miss T out this weekend with a Whitetail tag and an Antlered Elk tag in her pocket.

We seem to be stuck in the gap between wanting her to have a fun day and pushing her to have the Grrr to get it done. We had a live bull bugling a ridge over at daylight, but she wasn't interested enough to go after it.

We stayed out until her shoes starting hurting her feet. It's that thing about getting crappy gear when you are a kid.

Still a fun day for both of us. No complaints. It really is what it is. I had not seen her for a couple of weeks so it was all joy. She called her mom that night and asked if she could stay another night. G'ma and I were top of the world.

I've took my 4-year-old out for a few short armed hikes this year. I'm not seriously hunting - it's more just about the exposure. I've found that if we end the trip heading down to the lakeside or the river to throw rocks and play in the sand it's always a hit, and she is happy to go again the next time.

My daughter's fascination with all things hunting keeps me smiling. Who knows how long this will last, but it sure is fun while it's here:
"Can I hunt turkey with you?"
"Can we watch alligator hunting?"
"Where can we find a bison?"
"I want to watch antelope."
"I want a gun. A pink one. Like, a little gun, for kids. I'm going to shoot deer. And birds."
"Can we shoot my bow and arrow?"
"Did you shot anything? Can I see?" "Did you shot it in the head?" "Where's the blood?" "Is that meat?"
"Can I look through the binoculars?"
"Tell me about plants."
"Can you shot a penguin?"

If/when I shoot a deer this year, and the weather is agreeable, I might swing home and pick her up so we can follow the blood trail and quarter it up.

In June we are planning a family camping trip/bear hunt. It's going to be about 80% family trip with maybe a few solo hiking/glassing forays with no serious intention of finding a bear. I'll also be in WY in the fall on a solo trip where I can hunt hard and enjoy my time in a different way.

At the end of the day the #s suggest none of my 3 kids (4, 2, 2) will be adult hunters, and that's fine. If nothing else, I hope they'll look back at their childhoods with many fond memories of quality time with dad in the outdoors. @neffa3 I think you have the right idea, I wouldn't second guess yourself too much.

So I just got back from a bit of a failed hunting trip where I took both of my kids (7 and 10) hunting for the weekend and it has me pondering all sorts of things related to kids and hunting.

1. So there are two general ideas for getting kids into hunting. One is to take them along as soon as they show interest, make it fun and easy and enjoyable, and slowly build up to this. The other is to hold them back until they are actually ready for the activity. I have tried and mostly failed at the first method with my kids. But my grandfather implored the latter method with me. I now unconditionally love hunting. And my kids, well they like it, but I'm not sure I'm setting them up for long-term success. There's a lot of drive you can build for an activity by making it exclusive, which is what my grandfather did. I don't think I went deer hunting until I was at least 12 or 13, and didn't get to go to elk camp till either 14 or 15.

2. Sacrifice... There are only so many days we get to hunt each year (at least for those outside of the free-for-all of Montana). How much do you sacrifice your season for your kids? How much does your family sacrifice for your hunting? We only get two weeks here in WA for deer season. I spent one watching kids soccer and took the kids on the other this last weekend. I can count the # of hours of actual "hunting" I did this deer season on one hand. Now it's a 340-ish day wait.

And because no one likes a post without pics...

Here they are pretending their butt pads are computers.
View attachment 199115
As you can see, one is cold-blooded like me, the other runs hot.

And here is what they did why we tried to watch a hill side in the afternoon.
View attachment 199117

And for sh!ts and giggles, what is this giant orange horn-butt spider?
View attachment 199119

Back