Caribou Gear

KHunter 2022 ID bull and CO cow moose hunts

going to be a long day. either I punched my tag or I punched myself in the face. Need to give it time to find out.
Fingers crossed!! I’ll be checking back often for updates. Sure can’t wait to go moose hunting October 15 now!!

I tracked last night‘s grunting ball from my camp to across the river to where he was bedded with a cow.

going to be a long day. either I punched my tag or I punched myself in the face. Need to give it time to find out. sometimes a great shot opportunity just doesn’t work the way you know it will.
Wishing you luck!

very long day is going to run into tomorrow. great blood where I shot him for 500+ yds. he then crossed 40 yard wide knee deep river.

after trailing him to see exactly where he cross the river I left him be for about 6 1/2 hours before picking up the trail in the opposite bank and having great blood for 60 yards. nice 18 inch long sprays like the ones in my next post, then petered out…as did the daylight because I wanted to give it as much time as possible. Always a tough call when to pick up the trail. Gotta balance not bumping and losing altogether with the highest priority to not have the meat spoil.

last blood was a couple of drops but I had some good tracks as he was making a turn that I will try to follow in broad daylight. and hopefully catch more blood.

Last edited:
very long day is going to run into tomorrow. great blood where I shot him for 300 yds. he crossed 40 yard wide knee deep river.

after trailing him to see exactly where he cross the river I left him be for about 6 1/2 hours before picking up the trail in the office of bank and having great blood for 60 yards. nice 28 inch long sprays. then petered out. as did the daylight because I wanted to give them as much time as possible.

last blood was a couple of drops but I had some good tracks that I will try to follow in broad daylight. and hopefully catch more blood.
Did he bed down? Moose are babies and usually bed down within 50 yards of being shot

Did he bed down? Moose are babies and usually bed down within 50 yards of being shot
I saw him at about 120 yards standing up and moving 20 min after shot. Decided to close best I could and missed from 80. That sent him across the river. We lost blood before I saw a bed on the other side of river andf do not think he bedded earlier. Could be wrong on the latter.

I agree. Having killed 4 moose they tip over pretty easy. Not this one with this hit apparently. He traveled 740 yards where trail was great blood throughout and some THICK dense coagulated spots.

But I waited after shot at 10:45 till 5:45 to pick up the trail across the river knowing he needed a lot of time based on distance traveled.

Pretty sure was not a passthru. All blood left side of tracks.

Never found my arrow. Believe I had some deflection of arrow path based on sound but not sure.

A light rain just started. Just some sprinkles so far. ugh. Could be a grid search situation tmrw….

4CEC859D-C47B-4E00-849A-AABBC48C3248.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure where you hit him but that sure looks like lung. If only one lung, a moose could live for some time. Good luck picking up the trail in the a.m. Obviously you know what to do, last blood last sighting, he shouldn’t be too far away. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find him.

Here’s to hoping the rain stays scarce and you get some rest. Good luck In the AM. Don’t forget the sawzall I think your gonna need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back