KHunter 2022 ID bull and CO cow moose hunts

Hopefully he beds up again soon. Unfortunately once you jump a moose after the initial shot they go for a ways if you don’t kill then. My experience with guns anyways never arrowed one

My dad has a little dachshund cross that can run hard blood trails in a way that makes us look silly. If nothing else works it might be worth shaking the bushes around the area to see if someone has a tracking dog.

Ugh. That’s not a good feeling. Looks lethal though. Hope you find him and get everything thing out in good shape. Good luck.

Hope you find him! Looks like good blood. Good luck!

I shot an elk one time, that had puddles and puddles of blood, big puddles of coagulated blood, froth, etc. We tracked him for about 1/2 a mile (easily by the blood trail), and jumped him 4 hours later bedded on a flat bench with his cows (which left him after I shot). We never found him. Heavy wet snow and rain that evening washed away all hope, but we gridded and looked everywhere. My best guess was one lung hit. I'll never forget the shot and watching him slowly walk into the timber limping and bleeding. I knew he was dead. @neffa3 this hunt about made me hang up my bow for good. One of a few animals I shot and lost in my career. I would have never guessed he would have made it into the timber 100 yards away, let alone 1/2 mile and still be alive 4 hours later. It was 100% chest cavity, the broadhead cut a 4" gash off the back of his arm/shoulder. I've thought about that shot many times and what could have been different, or what happened.

For me story's like that really beg the question of whether or not archery equipment is lethal enough.
When considering standards for ‘accepting’ methods in clinical or diagnostic settings, the method under consideration often has to meet a threshold of >= 95% repeatability and reproducibility. Meaning the lab gets the same result under the same condition and circumstances at least 95% of the time and other labs get the same result as the initial lab at least 95% of the time. Bows and rifles aren’t the same as DNA and cells, but maybe that standard is worth reflecting on when choosing your weapon or just prior to releasing an arrow or pulling the trigger. It doesn’t demand perfection because randomness and unknown unknowns are bastards, but it does demand that we are as close to perfect as possible again and again. It’s a very high bar.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back