MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

KHunter 2022 ID bull and CO cow moose hunts

Thrilled to finally come out of the woods with full racks of ribs for the first time. Battery powered Sawzall was the perfect tool.

Emded up with 10 packs of ribs. We left the side meat on them when field butchering so hopimg that makes for better, meatier ribs. What made me smile was the need to label meat packages as “2022 Cow Moose” instead of just “2022 Moose”, since I have two moose tags. LOL. Don’t think that will ever happen again that I have to keep two moose sorted out in the freezer.

Single rack that I just sawed in half to shorten rib lengths
View attachment 239406

One rack cut into package sizes (5 pieces)

View attachment 239407

All of the vacuum sealed ribs (10 packs) going into the freezer. Can’t wait to cook some up.

View attachment 239408
I wish I did that with my moose. Best game I have ever eaten was the 2 ribs we did pack out. Cooked 425 with 1/2 inch water when meat started pulling back on bone. Let rest 25 min and then sauced w BBQ sauce no high fructose corn syrup in 350 deg oven every 8 min once underside and 2 times top and then sliced the meat off bones. If only shot moose about 4 miles closer to cabin would have had what you have eating gold mine. Great story and pics.

6 days left to hunt…including one to drive home.

Already in the books:

4 day knocking on doors and scouting in June
10 days combo scout/hunt late Aug-early Sept

12 days so for this little stint so far

32 days all in with 18 for this stint, if take it to the limit, gosh sounds like a lot when put a pencil to it. My wife says it is a lot.

Figured this out over a couple bowls of antelope frito pie:

77632965-A805-48FA-8F62-7FC236A04A0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Already in the books:

4 day orientation and scouting in June
10 days combo scout/hunt last Aug-eary Sept.

32 days all in with 18 for this stint, if take it to the limit, gosh sounds like a lot when put a pencil to it. My wife says it is a lot.

View attachment 242899
The only thing more impressive than your hunting schedule is the resilience of your digestive system.

Crappy feeling for sure, but you sure put in all the effort you could. Good luck in the remainder of your hunt!

I'm taking @Ben Lamb place here, but this is a poem of diligence and determination. Hopefully the judges are taking notes.

I've been in on a few of those multi day searches, albeit not for moose. They are exhausting. Wishing good things to you as you wrap this hunt up.

Already in the books:

4 day knocking on doors and scouting in June
10 days combo scout/hunt late Aug-early Sept

View attachment 242899
...needs mustard puckey...and Tums

Safety lesson for me tonight.

nothing galvanizes your focus on survival like getting flipped out of your raft alone at dusk in a strainer and going through it with your raft, clawing at the straps on the side with no bottom for your feet to reach trying like hell to keep chin out of the water with the current sucking you into the branches.

That’s as scary of shit I’ve been through as I can I remember.

As I was hanging on for my life thinking I may drown as my legs are being pulled under the strainer that raft was under incredible pressure I just thought for sure it was going to pop. It didn’t and I kinda bounced around the stainer on the outside of the raft finally after fighting to not get sucked in for some seconds. Raft finally pulled through the other side with my weight pulling.

I didn’t think I was gonna see that raft again or my shit. There’s a moment there I did not know if I’ve ever gonna see anything.

I think I’ve got renewed clarity on safety first and not being lackadaisical about hopping in a raft without taking a hard look about what’s in front. I was very dumb and know exactly what I did wrong to cause an easily avoidable problem.

Im not trying to be overly dramatic. I literally had the shit scared out of me tonight. close call.

nothing galvanizes your focus on survival like getting flipped out of your raft alone at dusk in a strainer and going through it with your raft, clawing at the straps on the side with no bottom for your feet to reach trying like hell to keep chin out of the water with the current sucking you into the branches.

As I was hanging on for my life thinking I may drown as my legs are being pulled under the strainer that raft was under incredible pressure I just thought for sure it was going to pop. It didn’t and I kinda bounced around the stainer on the outside of the raft finally after fighting to not get sucked in for some seconds. Raft finally pulled through the other side with my weight pulling.

I didn’t think I was gonna see that raft again or my shit. There’s a moment there I did not know if I’ve ever gonna see anything.

I think I’ve got renewed clarity on safety first and not being lackadaisical about hopping in a raft without taking a hard look about what’s in front. I was very dumb and know exactly what I did wrong to cause an easily avoidable problem.

Im not trying to be overly dramatic. I literally had the shit scared out of me tonight. close call.
Stop "dusk dreaming" about those big bulls!! Glad your ok and hopefully all your gear is ok to.

It's no joke Kirby, peeps who haven't been there cant understand, having your canoe pulled under and leaving you mid river.. superman or lay down and die. Sounds like you sorted it out

Glad you are ok, strainers are scary. People die every year from strainers on east floats, you definitely aren’t being over dramatic.

Back