Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kenetrek pac boot vs Mountain Extreme

TN VOL

Hey guys..my son and I are going on a WY wilderness elk horseback hunt in October of this year. Struggling to figure out if we should buy pac boots like the Kenetrek northern or the Mtn extreme 1000’s. Obviously the weather can be in the single digits to 50 degrees.. we will be doing some hiking but not tons since we will be on horses. My biggest fear is feet getting cold in the saddle. What do you all suggest? I know the Mtn extreme 400’s would be more versatile but just unsure how much insulation we need. I’ve always struggled keeping my feet warm especially when treestand hunting or standing stationary in cold weather.

Buy mountain boots. Don’t get that much insulation. Don’t commit to any brand before you try on a few.
Thanks for the advice..Would love to try some on..but where I live in TN there’s really no way to try on Kenetre, crispi, schnees, etc..

Hey guys..my son and I are going on a WY wilderness elk horseback hunt in October of this year. Struggling to figure out if we should buy pac boots like the Kenetrek northern or the Mtn extreme 1000’s. Obviously the weather can be in the single digits to 50 degrees.. we will be doing some hiking but not tons since we will be on horses. My biggest fear is feet getting cold in the saddle. What do you all suggest? I know the Mtn extreme 400’s would be more versatile but just unsure how much insulation we need. I’ve always struggled keeping my feet warm especially when treestand hunting or standing stationary in cold weather.
I am similar. In Midwest, my Feet got cold hunting in blind or tree stand. I bought standard Kenetreks about 7 yrs ago. I have done hikes in minus 0 temps strapped to snow shoes without problems. My feet don’t get cold western hunting unless they get wet. I can see your point about spending a lot of time on a horse, but you should spend a lot of time spotting and stalking. I doubt you need pac boots, but boots can vary from person to person.

I am similar. In Midwest, my Feet got cold hunting in blind or tree stand. I bought standard Kenetreks about 7 yrs ago. I have done hikes in minus 0 temps strapped to snow shoes without problems. My feet don’t get cold western hunting unless they get wet. I can see your point about spending a lot of time on a horse, but you should spend a lot of time spotting and stalking. I doubt you need pac boots, but boots can vary from person to person.
Thanks for the reply! The weather might not be extremely cold when we go..but it’s an 8 hour horse ride to our camp and if it happened to be really cold and our feet got cold that would be a miserable 8 hours lol. Do you have the kenetrek mountain extreme 400’s?

Thanks for the reply! The weather might not be extremely cold when we go..but it’s an 8 hour horse ride to our camp and if it happened to be really cold and our feet got cold that would be a miserable 8 hours lol. Do you have the kenetrek mountain extreme 400’s?
Yes, the lightest insulation they had. Not sure what the weight was. I use them for hiking year round. If it is really cold or I’m going into snow, I might wear two pairs of socks. That is rare though. As long as I’m moving I’m good.

If you are worried about getting cold feet on the horse ride just put some foot warmers in for the ride. Or if you get cold just hop off and walk a bit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back