Kenetrek Boots

Got my new Hard Scrambles today! They are very similar in appearance to Asolo Sasslong boots. I was quite concerned about needing a wide, as I have needed a wide in my other boots, but after trying them on and walking a while in them I can tell I will not.

Extremely well put together boot and initially seem to fit better than my already broken in Sasslongs and way better than my Vasque. I've got 3 hunts planned this fall that should give them a good test.

I was looking in to buying a pair of mt extremes as well. Are the 400s enough for some real cold weather or should I go with the 1000s?

I tried a pair of the mountain extremes on at the SHOT and they were not small for me, in fact i thought they were 1/2 size big but I did not have thick hiking socks on. Good looking boot though

I was looking in to buying a pair of mt extremes as well. Are the 400s enough for some real cold weather or should I go with the 1000s?
For me, I wear the uninsulated versions and have in temps down to the teens. But, that is on hunts where I'm moving quite a bit. I couldn't imagine wearing the 1000s on a hunt where I moved much, my feet would fry! Now, if it was one where I'd be stationary for a couple of hours at a time, I'd look at them. For most fall/early winter hunts that require much hiking, I can't imagine needing more than the 400s. If you want to wear them in the summer/early fall I'd go with the non0insulated.

Thanks 1pointer, I thought that would be the case as well but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That's interesting. Are they recommending that with their Mtn Extreme's as well? When I bought mine 3-4yrs ago, they were recommending Nikwax.

They now have their own water proofing product instead of Nikwax. They told me that they were having trouble with other products degrading the rubber rand that goes around the boot, so now they have their own..

It seems to work real well. I put a couple of heavy coats on mine and now my boots are nice and ply able. It does darken them but they are well protected,

Bringing this up from the dead, but I'm curious if you really need their special wax? I've used Granger's G-Wax Paste on boots with a rubber rand in the past without any issues. I just picked up a used pair of Kenetreks off ebay and was trying to decide if I should by some of their wax while I was at it. I still have some Granger's G-Wax and based on the pictures of the boots on ebay the Kenetreks haven't ever seen any wax in their life so they for sure need some.

Bringing this up from the dead, but I'm curious if you really need their special wax? I've used Granger's G-Wax Paste on boots with a rubber rand in the past without any issues. I just picked up a used pair of Kenetreks off ebay and was trying to decide if I should by some of their wax while I was at it. I still have some Granger's G-Wax and based on the pictures of the boots on ebay the Kenetreks haven't ever seen any wax in their life so they for sure need some.

Kenetrek boots, wax, and socks...or else they won't work! :rolleyes:

Back