Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Kenetrek Boots - Non-Insulated or Insulated?

Brentster7189

Curious, those that have Mountain Extreme boots, have you gotten the non-insulated or insulated? And how what seasons do you use them through? I recently got the 400 gram, and plan on using them through January if I need to. But after this weekend I'm wondering if maybe the non-insulated version is the way to go. I'm thinking if your mostly walking while your hunting then the non-insulated version is the way to go...elk hunting, deer hunting, and upland birds from the beginning of October thru January..

Hoping to hear others thoughts on this, even though this subject might have been touched on previously.

Thanks in advance!

My insulated extremes do not make my feet sweat excessively hiking during moderate temps. I wear a liner and light wool sock just in case though.

The leather on Kenetreks is thick along with the lining they have. I went with the uninsulated and am glad I did. My feet have been sweating all fall and are just perfect for late hunts. I have no regrets for getting the uninsulated ones and am glad I don't have insulated.

I have the uninsulated ones and for hunts where you'll be covering some ground I can't imagine them not working. I've used them down to zero or slightly less with no problems.

That said, I don't wear them for sitting in a whitetail stand...

I went with the unisulated and my feet still sweat. But I did order them a half size larger since I like to wear a thick sock.

I also have the uninsulated, feet stay warm but not too warm. Depends where you are going to wear them, i could make a case for the insulated in this neck of the woods but not til December or sitting on stand for any length of time.

Ya, no stand hunting, maybe some periods of glassing or stopping, but not in a tree stand for a long period of time. As well as upland game which will keep me moving.

I have the insulated Kenetreks and love them. I received them last year for Christmas and used them until March, coyote hunting. It was a LONG, COLD winter in MT last year and my boots kept me warm, but I did have to do some walking on the coldest days to rewarm my toes inbetween coyote stands. I have not used them yet this year, it's been too HOT, but I do plan on using them later in the season again. Oh yeah, I used them this spring while hunting turkey in the snow, too.

Attachments

• Mar 6 (6).JPG
    Mar 6 (6).JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 2,411
Last edited:
It really does depend quite a bit on your own circulation and what you can handle. 400 grams makes for a good all around boot, but if your always moving the Non-Insulated is likely adequate. Bottom line is, as far as temperature comfort rating goes, theres really only about a 10 degree difference in the two.

I recommend the 400's for all season use, I've used them in over 80 degree weather and not been bothered, seems like it usually doesn't become uncomfortable untill you stop to glass or something when its real hot and your feet swell up. With a waterproof liner in both styles, you'll sweat the same amount in either one really. When you stop for a break or to glass, opening up the neck of the boot lets a ton of water vapor out before it condenses into liquid form. This is very important for moisture management in warm or cold weather in any boot with a waterproof liner.

Just some things to think about, but by and large the 400's are the most popular in this part of the country for people who want one boot for the whole season.

The leather on Kenetreks is thick along with the lining they have. I went with the uninsulated and am glad I did. My feet have been sweating all fall and are just perfect for late hunts. I have no regrets for getting the uninsulated ones and am glad I don't have insulated.
+1.... Exactly my take on it.

Sounds to me like everyone likes whatever they have, that alone is a great testimonial ! ordered mine today U.I. ,based on what was posted here.

Insulated is the way to go! I use them in 80 degree weather while I'm hiking with no issues. I always wear smartwool medium hikers and now I put on liners underneath those and still don't have any issues. On a stand when the temps drop below 32 it can get chilly in them, but they are awesome in any weather while on the move. BUY THEM NOW, you won't find better boots!

Back