Ken Onion Works Sharp

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I would love one of these, but then I would have a hard time justifying the hundreds of dollars I have already spent on sharpening stuff (diamond stones, KME, rouge, ceramics, etc)

But on the other hand, my wife's knife collection needs attention,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I will keep an eye out for a deal!

I may have to pick one of these up instead of diamond stones for my Lansky. My regular ones do not work well enough on S30V, hence why I was wanting the diamond ones. I don't really have that many to sharpen and sort of enjoy doing it so may go with the Lansky stones anyway.

I may have to pick one of these up instead of diamond stones for my Lansky. My regular ones do not work well enough on S30V, hence why I was wanting the diamond ones. I don't really have that many to sharpen and sort of enjoy doing it so may go with the Lansky stones anyway.

:rolleyes: Traditionalists.....:D

I had the same thoughts, but a set of diamond stones is half the cost of the Work Sharp.

For me, sharpening the Slick Trick blades was the selling point. I spend 30-40 bucks a year on replacement blades. I don't have to be a CPA to figure out that this is going to pay for itself in about three years.

:rolleyes: Traditionalists.....:D

I had the same thoughts, but a set of diamond stones is half the cost of the Work Sharp.

For me, sharpening the Slick Trick blades was the selling point. I spend 30-40 bucks a year on replacement blades. I don't have to be a CPA to figure out that this is going to pay for itself in about three years.
Hey, I used "might" and "may". No hard decisions yet. :D Guessing I could find a use for both! :cool:

Way to much for a sharpener.....until you let me know about promotive. Thanks....I think.:D

Google Promotive and see if you qualify in one of their categories. Military, Police, Fire, forestry, etc all qualify.

They have a bunch of great brands on there. Sometimes I feel like my wife, when she tells me, "but I saved so much I had to get it".

I've got the regular, non Ken Onion version, and have been very happy with my results with it. My knife sharpening skills are fairly poor, I struggle with a Lansky, so the work sharp has been a great tool for me.

Google Promotive and see if you qualify in one of their categories. Military, Police, Fire, forestry, etc all qualify.

They have a bunch of great brands on there. Sometimes I feel like my wife, when she tells me, "but I saved so much I had to get it".

Never thought to check Promotive before I ordered it. Could have saved $50:mad:

Never thought to check Promotive before I ordered it. Could have saved $50:mad:

The must have hit the saturation point in their sales. Up until now I haven't seen them on sale, but just got a Cabelas flier in the mail showing it on sale for 59.99.
I have had one for quite a while. Paid 100 for it. Really like it. Does a terrific job on my cheaper blades. The good ones take a bit. found I need to have fresh belts on the thing

I have the KO worksharp for about 2 years. If I do it right, the knives are next level sharp. If I'm in a hurry they are still super sharp. I burned up most of my belts and am in the process of finding aftermarket belts because I'm a cheap SOB
How durable are the belts and how much do they cost?

I've had one for 3 years. Gets way more use on kitchen knives than hunting knives. I'm about 25% through the second set of belts that came with it. Throw everything else away and get one.

The must have hit the saturation point in their sales. Up until now I haven't seen them on sale, but just got a Cabelas flier in the mail showing it on sale for 59.99.
I have had one for quite a while. Paid 100 for it. Really like it. Does a terrific job on my cheaper blades. The good ones take a bit. found I need to have fresh belts on the thing

From what I found, these are different models.

How durable are the belts and how much do they cost?

I've had one for 3 years. Gets way more use on kitchen knives than hunting knives. I'm about 25% through the second set of belts that came with it. Throw everything else away and get one.

Belts aren't really expensive and will last quite a while if you're just sharpening on occasion...a full set is like $10-15 on Amazon depending on which system you choose. The Ken Onion are $15. I ended up wearing out the 2 finest grits.

My only regret is not practicing on a bunch of cheap knives first and I ruined the tips on a couple of my daily user knives.

How about someone put up their address and I'll send a drawer full of dull knives for you to sharpen for me with this fancy thing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back