Caribou Gear Tarp

Ken Burns’ Hemingway Documentary

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]rwc101

Well-known member​

The clowns at Townhall didn't watch the documentary.

"Clowns"?
Why? Because they have a conservative point of view?
We all know quite well which extreme your political views are on. I, for one, am getting tired of your apparent need to continually remind us and start political debates in almost every thread your post in.

Carry on...

I’ve read all of Hemingway unless I’ve missed a short story or two. I live his writing. I’ve been to his grave and have talked with people who knew him in Idaho. My sons BF supposedly has one of his shotguns left to Whiskey.

I watched the first episode and it reminded me of a series of book reviews intermingled with hero worship. Ugh. I lost interest in watching the following episodes.

Nice try, but I’m not taking the bait. If you want to continue this, let’s take it offline via PM vs. you derailing yet another thread and getting it locked.
Chill dude, wasn't looking for a debate.

P.S. "locking" a thread wasn't my decision.

Couldn't care less about Hemingway.
He was a Castro backer and was invited to attend a killing by firing squad of some Castro dissidents.
It's reported that he and Castro sat by a fire with drinks, watching the sunset and the shootings.

Mea culpa! Got it wrong! Here's the quote!

“Hemingway hailed Castro’s revolution as ‘very pure and beautiful,'” Fontova said. “He was also a guest of honor at many of Che Guevara’s firing squad massacres. Hemingway loved to watch Che’s firing squads murder hundreds of Cubans. Hemingway would watch the massacres from a picnic chair while sipping Daiquiris.”
Uhhmmm..... no. In post #9, I was simply stating why I didn't like Hemingway.
I had every intention of leaving it right there, but then I started getting snarks and snipes.

So tell me, is speaking my mind a "nasty no-no" on here?

I started reading Hemingway at about 12 years old. His books became my first collection . I have reread and continue to do so finding that through my life my interpretation changes and I realize new and interesting aspects of his writings.
Good writers tend to be complicated. To judge a writer based upon aspects of his life is a huge injustice, but I suspect that those who do so probably are not capable of appreciating good writing anyway.

To judge a writer based upon aspects of his life is a huge injustice, but I suspect that those who do so probably are not capable of appreciating good writing anyway.
So if a pedofile can turn a phrase nicely, I shouldn't hold his latent tendencies against him?
Nice to know. I'll keep that in mind.

We all know quite well which extreme your political views are on. I, for one, am getting tired of your apparent need to continually remind us and start political debates in almost every thread your post in.

Carry on...
He's not the only one that does it. It's just more subtle with some. Carry on. mtmuley

Reactions: Hem
Yes, I got on late.

What a tragic family. Brilliance and charisma handicapped by mental illness. I don't think I would have got on well with Hemingway.

I had to put up with Ken Burns for the better part of a week when I was working in Alaska. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. He is talented ... but also a flaming fathead asshole who can't handle his booze and treats women like shit. I can see how he might identify with Papa H. The guy who did the voice on documentaries was also along for the trip. A real gentleman.
A person's "talent" shouldn't give them the ok for being jerks.
I never said Hemingway wasn't talented, but to think that Castro's uprising was, "pure and beautiful" kinda puts you out their all by yourself.
Wonder if any of the thousands and thousands of firing squad victims was thinking, "Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this 'pure and beautiful' revolution!"?
Gimme a break.

A person's "talent" shouldn't give them the ok for being jerks.
I never said Hemingway wasn't talented, but to think that Castro's uprising was, "pure and beautiful" kinda puts you out their all by yourself.
Wonder if any of the thousands and thousands of firing squad victims was thinking, "Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this 'pure and beautiful' revolution!"?
Gimme a break.
He fled the country and left his fine country villa and all possessions behind. I'm not sure why he would think that was beautiful. According to all sources but your crackpot, Hemingway was uncommitted during the revolution. Not surprising. It was a very mixed up affair.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back