Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Keep it/Sell it? Mossberg 800B .243

BackofBeyond

Recently, a cousin gave me a couple rifles that his dad had given him long ago. Jon isn’t a hunter, or the kind of guy to own a gun, matter of fact I was very surprised when he brought them up. They’ve been sitting in the corner of the closet at his mom’s place since the early 80’s.

Anyways, I am the new owner of a Mossberg 800B in .243 Win. I had no idea that Mossberg even made a bolt gun that long ago… any idea what this thing is worth? Keep it? Sell it? Use it as a door stop?

Like above, definitely shoot it before any decision! I’m probably hanging onto it, great gun for starting someone out and they are just fun to shoot.

Recently, a cousin gave me a couple rifles that his dad had given him long ago. Jon isn’t a hunter, or the kind of guy to own a gun, matter of fact I was very surprised when he brought them up. They’ve been sitting in the corner of the closet at his mom’s place since the early 80’s.

Anyways, I am the new owner of a Mossberg 800B in .243 Win. I had no idea that Mossberg even made a bolt gun that long ago… any idea what this thing is worth? Keep it? Sell it? Use it as a door stop?
I gave my nephew an 800b in .243. He’s killed two bucks with it in the two years that he has owned it. He’s 14 years old.

It's a budget end rifle that was made from the mid-60s to the late 70s. Remington took over the market niche with the lower priced 788 and pushed them out. I've shot one in .308 with open sights and it had pretty good groups. The bolt wasn't butter, but it was better than you'd expect from a lower end rifle. I'm not sure what they're worth now, but back in 1988 when I was trying to buy this one from a friend's dad, I was willing to pay the $200 he was asking. However, I couldn't scrape up that much scratch flipping burgers after school, so it wasn't to be.

It's a budget end rifle that was made from the mid-60s to the late 70s. Remington took over the market niche with the lower priced 788 and pushed them out. I've shot one in .308 with open sights and it had pretty good groups. The bolt wasn't butter, but it was better than you'd expect from a lower end rifle. I'm not sure what they're worth now, but back in 1988 when I was trying to buy this one from a friend's dad, I was willing to pay the $200 he was asking. However, I couldn't scrape up that much scratch flipping burgers after school, so it wasn't to be.

My cousin started with a .243, I started with a .308
I went to check it and my Dad had sold it without
consulting me! NOW... what do I shoot HIM with
The piece of sheet .306 he bought me that jams every 2
rounds?(semi-Auto) ;)

Never had the itch for an 800 but had a brother-in-law years ago had one and swore by it. If I came into one, I'd shoot it first and if it didn't do well would re-do the bedding and see what I could do with it. Got two Patriot's now and they shoot great!

Back