Kaycee and Buffalo Eats

shannerdrake

Hey All,

Heading to the Buffalo/Kaycee area in a few weeks and looking for some local gems for lunch and/or dinner. I know Buffalo has a lot of places while Kaycee has seemingly few.

Also, anyone have good green/verde chile in the area? Few things make a western hunt for us midwesterners more than a good green chile.

Thanks!

Been awhile since I've been there but from what I remember the Country Inn diner in Kaycee was good.

Can't suggest anything 'good', but will say that Bozeman Trail "Steak house" (I put that in air quotes because I don't know how it is considered a steak house) is not worth the time it takes to chew the bland leather they call steak. They have some sort of gimmick that "we don't season the steak while cooking - we let the meat flavor come through". The lack of seasoning is painfully obvious. It might work if they didn't use cuts that were pulled off the line already heading toward the grinder.

Honestly, we were getting back into town so late that the sidewalks were already rolled up and the only thing open was Hardee's. The last day, we made an effort to get back into town to get "a good local western-grown steak!"... swing and a miss...

Buffalo:
- Winchester Steak house, some great steaks, but new owners, smaller portions, smaller menu, still good.
- Bozeman Steak House - this is wife and I's go to place, though for fun/people more than food. as above said they don't season steaks, but ask and they have two Montreal and Cajun. Decent, but not great steak. Burgers on the other hand are very good. Friday they are starting all you can eat Peal and eat shrimp, or fish nuggets.
- Occidental? Skip it. Place is cool, very small, food eehhhh.
- Cowboy saloon, good pizza/burgers, mostly a local hangout.
- 4th on main. Good steaks, suggest the cheese curds!
- Papa Bino's - Mexican food, good food if you like Mexican. Family owned and run (you most likely will have a kid bring you water and chips!)
- South Side grill: Just opened, never eaten there, but bartender is friendly, supposedly good smoked meats
- Pie Zanos: Italian, small menu, good pizza, pretty good italian food
- Chinese place didn't survive Covid

I think that sums it up. There's also mcDonalds, subs, hardess, pizza hut, dominos

The Occidental in Buffalo had awesome burgers last time I was there. That was about 7 years ago though and after a 3 day backpack trip in the Big Horns, so that could have had something with the burger tasting so good.

This is why I love this forum! Thanks everyone for your posts. Hopefully, I can add grilled tenderloin to menu a night or two.

Back